6800 Ultra WC AGP Artifacting?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

6800 Ultra WC AGP Artifacting?

Post by acaurora » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:30 am

I have had my 6800 Ultra AGP(on Watercooling via EXOS Aluminum in a VERY cold room) for about a year now, and all of a sudden now it seems to be dying on me - I now see black streaks all over the screen when I play BF2, and on the desktop I'll see weird pixels all over - I am pretty sure it isn't my monitor - the pixels do not stay in one spot. I am planning on building a new system soon, but wasn't expecting to start so soon - can anyone help with this problem?

Daikhovalin

Post by Daikhovalin » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:18 am

Does it do this in any other games? I've heard of an issue with BF2 on nVidia where wierd things happen when anisotropic filtering is turned on in the control panel (with 6800s and 7800 cards). You can try to fix it by setting the image quality slider to high quality. This may not be the issue with your card, but I thought I'd throw it out, just as something to try. If it still happens, post what settings you're playing at (res, AA, and filtering used), whether it happens in other games, and what version drivers you have. You might try updating to the recently released 77.77 reference drivers from nvidia and see if they help. And check the cable too. I just hope it isn't a hardware problem. Good luck.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:54 pm

Yes, it does the same thing on CounterStrike Source - I think this is the best way to describe it - If I have a dark background (i.e., the dark background of the CS:S), I will see a lot of different colored pixels fly across the screen. With light colors, however, it rarely happens. It mainly happens only on games, but I have seen it happen on my regular desktop as well. I am using 77.77, and I tried setting quality to High Quality, with no improvement.

I do think it's the video card going out on me - Oh well, I had expected to build a new computer, just not this soon. Guess I should go start ordering soon...

EDIT: Also when looking at the pic above, those pixels change - i.e., when I scroll up or down they disappear but reappear in other locations - that's how I know it isn't my monitor.

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:03 pm

The lastest drivers seem to have issues you haven't updated that as of late by chance.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:51 pm

Can you say that again?

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:44 pm

it means you're not cooling the memory properly. are you also watercooling the memory or no?

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:16 pm

They are cooled using the crappy RAMSinks that came with it - it has been functioning fine for now - it just crashes and automatically restarts, which I'm sure is cuz of the ram overheating. However I doubt that the 6800 Ultra is beyond repair now...