fx5900xt - acceptable temperature range? | UPDATED

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

androgeny

fx5900xt - acceptable temperature range? | UPDATED

Post by androgeny » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:01 am

finally got to the point where my nvsilencer was the loudest component in my system, so a few splices later, I have it connected into my sunbeam rheobus. Noise is much better at ~7v, but I am unsure as to what temperatures I should shoot for.

ambient temperature is about 33C
at 7v, I'm idling at around 40-41C, load is 60+C
Last edited by androgeny on Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kesv

Re: fx5900xt - acceptable temperature range?

Post by kesv » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:59 am

androgeny wrote: ambient temperature is about 33C
at 7v, I'm idling at around 40-41C, load is 60+C
Still sounds reasonable. Unless you are seeing video artifacts or other signs of overheating, I'd say 60C under load is acceptable for a GPU.

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:20 am

I've gotten to around 90C w/ no problems.

BenW

Post by BenW » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:08 am

I think graphics cards are generally ok upto 120C

My 9800Pro maxxes out about 55C, with a fanless cooler. I'd aim for 70C max

kesv

Post by kesv » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:01 am

BenW wrote:I think graphics cards are generally ok upto 120C
I wouldn't count on that. Atleast not for all cards in existence. There might be a specific card that is ok to run at 120C, but really anything above the boilingpoint of water would make me uncomfortable. Personally I try to stay between 60 and 70C.

androgeny

Post by androgeny » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:25 pm

UPDATE:

Recently, I began noticing that during increasingly shorter periods of gaming (UT2k4 specifically), I was developing corruption on particle effects, even at ~12v with my NVsilencer.

Unfortunately, the nVidia control panel still reported what I would consider acceptable temperatures, between 40 and 60C.

Installed a VF700 last night and I think this will solve my issues. I need to let the AS5 "set", but already my idle temp is 4-5C cooler, at 7v. While not silent at 7v, the quality of noise from the vf700 is *much* more tolerable than the NVsilencer's clicking.

I think the problem resulted from the NVsilencer's design as it relates to video RAM. The cooler does not make very clean contact with the RAM chips, in fact, the manual says to use extra thermal paste to make up the difference. I believe I heard somewhere that too much thermal paste can actually insulate your chips.

Another issue with the RAM cooling on this hsf is that there is no real way for the RAM to dissipate its heat (assuming it ever reaches the heatsink). The sections of the heatsink covering the RAM are quite flat, offering little in the way of surface area for dissipation. The base of the heatsink is just one large chunk of material covering both the GPU and the RAM. (I believe it is Al anodized to appear to be Cu).

I admit that I scored poorly on the thermodynamics section of physics, but it seems to me that the RAM heat will never migrate to the main portion of the heatsink, as the GPU will always be hotter. In fact, the RAM may actually be receiving heat *from* the GPU.

Whether or not my logic is correct, the RAM is certainly not receiving the airflow it needs to remain cool, as there is a large piece of flat metal sitting over the chips.

My card is the Leadtek fx5900xt, which came with no RAM cooling at all. I never viewed any artifacting with the stock cooler, even in my previous (loud) case with poor airflow.

I see a lot of discussions here about Arctic Cooling vs. Zalman. So here's my voice to add to the masses: no contest, get the Zalman.