Sapphire X800XL Ultimate or other card with Zalman VF700?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NonServiam

Sapphire X800XL Ultimate or other card with Zalman VF700?

Post by NonServiam » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:44 am

Considering price and noise, would a Sapphire X800XL Ultimate (http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/products ... hp?gpid=25) be a better or worse alternative than smacking a Zalman cooler on any similar card?

I assume it's a Zalman they are using, but there might be issues of software or fan-controllers that makes this package a more or less attractive alternative to doing it yourself ...

gbohn

Re: Sapphire X800XL Ultimate or other card with Zalman VF700

Post by gbohn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:11 pm

NonServiam wrote:Considering price and noise, would a Sapphire X800XL Ultimate (http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/products ... hp?gpid=25) be a better or worse alternative than smacking a Zalman cooler on any similar card?

I assume it's a Zalman they are using, but there might be issues of software or fan-controllers that makes this package a more or less attractive alternative to doing it yourself ...
For starters, since you don't have to modify the Sapphire card, it would keep it's warranty intact (whereas changing the heatsink would probably void your warranty).

I have a Sapphire X800XL Ultimate, and it appears they use a custom Zalman that's extremely similar to the VF700. It's doesn't appear to be the 'all copper' model (as the Zalman VF700-Cu is much heavier).

On the Ultimate I have, the fan is connected to the Video card and it's speed is varied based on GPU/card temp. This can be software controlled with ATITool (Changing both the temps and speeds).

The VF-700Cu I got (for a different card) has a three pin molex connector (as used on motherboard fan connectors). Both the Sapphire X800XL Ultimate, and X800 GTO2 I have use what looks like a 'JST' style connector instead.

So, if you do it yourself, you might have to mod. the VF700 fan cable if you wanted to connect it to a Video card that has a different style connector. If you're happy using the molex connector (going to something else), then it doesn't matter.

TheAtomicKid

modding the vf700 power cable...

Post by TheAtomicKid » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:58 pm

it's a very easy mod, just did my own a little while back. basically just have to remove the plastic shroud from the vid card (without breaking the pins), and then rearrange the wires in the proper order on the 3pin socket... once you do that, you can just slide the socket down onto the fan header... tension will keep it handily in place.

all that said, sapphire makes ati's cards for them, if you're worried about quality control... the one I just modded is a sapphire x800xl, bought it before the ultimate edition came out.

TAK