Holding to an old Geforce 4200

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Horseman

Holding to an old Geforce 4200

Post by Horseman » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:04 am

Hi

I'm considering delaying for 6 or 9 months the buy of a new PC, and so I'm thinking in how to replace some parts of my current PC to achieve some silence meanwhile.
ATM noise is ridiculously high. :(

But think that with a new font, cpu heatsink, and fan to extract air of case most of noise will be gone, relatively cheap.
It should than remain the graphics card as the noisiest component.

It's a Geforce 4200, and I'm trying to know if or what would be the cheapest way to reduce its noise.
I need its power, so sell it and replace with a passive slower one is not an option, for me to save all money possible till I'm able to buy a PC specifically full with silent components.

Thx in advance for opinions or sharing of past experiences,
Francisco

wundi

Post by wundi » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:25 am

Well, speaking of past experiences, perhaps those could be found by using the all-powerful Search function, no? ;)

Type in keyword 4200 and search from this forum (Cool & Quiet VGA). You'll find this page among others.

Good luck

Horseman

Post by Horseman » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:23 am

Hi. Thx.

You may not believe, but I searched. Not with word "4200" only, tho. :oops:
Think I used several combinations of words, which gave me pages and pages of not related threads.
Used: "geforce 4200 noise", "geforce 4200 noise level", etc...

That link is useful, and searching with just "4200" found a few other interesting threads too.
Sry for being dumb. Indeed this would have saved me 2 hours of google yesterday. :(

Think i'll go with the NV silencer. Should work silently, which I cant wait to happen.

wundi

Post by wundi » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:40 am

Hehe, no problem. I think the original VGA Silencer would work just as well for you, and it should cost a bit less if you can still find it somewhere. The NV/ATI Silencers replaced it roughly a year ago.
Horseman wrote:Think i'll go with the NV silencer. Should work silently, which I cant wait to happen.
Quietly, not silently. ;) Even though next to a usual stock cooler it may seem almost silent.

Horseman

Post by Horseman » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:48 am

wundi wrote: Quietly, not silently. ;) Even though next to a usual stock cooler it may seem almost silent.
Hmm, never listened to one of the VGA options, but compared to the noise emanating atm from my PC it should be a good help. :)

I'l search one.

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:25 am

I'm not sure if it's a cheaper option than the VGA Silencer but the zalman heatpipe cooler (ZM80C-HP, without the fan off course) is also an option. That's what I used to silence my ti4200. The installation isn't difficult if you make sure to follow the instructions. It's been cooling my card for a good 9 months or so by now. My only regret is that I didn't install it sooner.