whats the quietest 7800gt available in the uk

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hugekebab

whats the quietest 7800gt available in the uk

Post by hugekebab » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:22 am

to be clear im not prepared to change the cooler, can anyone direct me to a relatively quiet stock 7800 gt available in the uk please.

Jools

Out of luck

Post by Jools » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:45 am

There are no "relatively quiet" 7800GT stock coolers, from any manufacturer. I've been investigating this, too (with regard to an SLI set-up in an SN26P). Every GT has a 2-pin fan, which doesn't step up or down like the 3-pin GTX. A supposedly poorly-calibrated diode (thermocouple?) on the card keeps the fan running at 100% all of the time.

Some people have had success at reducing GT fan speeds to 43% or so with various Forceware drivers, from 77.xx to 81.xx, while others have hacked a solution with Coolbits and/or Rivatuna. Either of which could invalidate your warranty.

The only GT that has a different cooling set-up and fan is the EVGA CO, which uses a copper HSF and the same fan as the GTX's. But it still uses a 2-pin fan, and is effectively just as loud as all the other GT's.

The cheapest GT I've found is the Gigabyte, for £205 from Scan. The cheapest GTX is the Point of View for £309 from Komplett.

If you want quiet, you'll need to stump up the extra for a GTX. I can vouch for my Gigabyte 7800GTX being very quiet indeed. It runs hotter than the GT's - 50C or so idle, 79C at load. GT's are 15-20C cooler, because their fan is on full blast all of the time.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:37 am

with rivatuner you can adjust the fanspeed on a GT via software, and if your feeling a little adventurous you can use NiBiTor to change the bios fan setting on the card. Both work like a charm.

Just to be clear: The fan speed on my GT ramped down once the drivers got loaded with windows, so there is fan adjustment built into the GT too.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:04 am

Asus has a passivly cooled 700GT with 1.6ns memory (same as GTX)
That's about as quiet as it can be ;-)

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:16 am

Consider shelling out the extra for an eVGA card, thier waranty is still valid if you change the heat sink (possibly why you didn't want to). I've got an XFX that i'm very happy with, but if i was buying the card now, it'd be the eVGA.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:17 am

McBanjo is of course on the right track here:

ASUS Extreme N7800GT TOP SILENT/2DHTV
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3047&s=4

I cannot vouch it's availble in the UK (as of yet), as I'm not very up-to-date on UK computer shops.

Perhaps worth looking though :)

Webmonkey

Post by Webmonkey » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:23 am

halcyon wrote:McBanjo is of course on the right track here:

ASUS Extreme N7800GT TOP SILENT/2DHTV
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3047&s=4

I cannot vouch it's availble in the UK (as of yet), as I'm not very up-to-date on UK computer shops.

Perhaps worth looking though :)
I am curious, but also a bit worried about these high-end cards with passive cooling.

What are the risk of a "meltdown" in a case with average ventilation?

I have custom damped big tower case with 2 80mm Nexus blowing air in, onto the 92mm 23dB Papst on a SLK-900 heatsink.

a 92mm papst sucks air up into the upper case chamber to be blow out by my Tagan 330W PSU....

Has anyone thought of strapping a low noise e.g. 12dB 80mm papst fan onto the wing of the Asus cooler, to help it remove the heat???

100 degrees celcius sound very hot to me... how hot does a normal fan cooled heatsink get???