3d acceleration freezing for anyone?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rei

3d acceleration freezing for anyone?

Post by rei » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:43 pm

81.98 Forceware drivers
Nvidia nForce 430 chipset matx Motherboard

It'll be fine for days and it still occasionally freezes in the middle of the 3d game, World of Warcraft in this case, not a particularly hard or intensive scene or anything, the hardware cursor will still be moveable but the 3d image is frozen.

I can often hear the sound of the game still going on.

I can -slowly- alt-tab out of it and end the task. when i start the game up again (World of Warcraft in this case) it tells me 3D acceleration failed to load. Have to restart PC for WoW to start again.

No rhyme or reason seemingly.

Also happens in Quake IV, the only other game I am currently playing.

Anyone else get this? eVGA 7800GT, Seasonic S12 PSU, temps are okay, GPU temps are 45-50 idle, 70C load.

rei

Post by rei » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:57 pm

i ask my fellow SPCRers because i know the seasonic is rocksolid and i can see evga tech support or everyone else telling me i 'need' min 450w psu to run the 7800gt :(

rei

Post by rei » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:47 pm

i'm not sure exactly how to tell or read this, i've read the fundamentals link but still can't wrap my head around it.
speedfan tells me the +12v is at 11.84...is that bad or good? it seems to periodically dip to 11.7x as well.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:55 pm

rei wrote:i'm not sure exactly how to tell or read this, i've read the fundamentals link but still can't wrap my head around it.
speedfan tells me the +12v is at 11.84...is that bad or good? it seems to periodically dip to 11.7x as well.
No need to worry. The 12V line is speced to be + or - 5%. This means it should be fine as long as it doesn't drop below 11.4 volts. Also motherboards are bad at reporting voltages. They're often off by a few percent. Your problem sounds driver related, especially if you're aren't overclocking or seeing artifacts. Update if you're not running the lastest drivers. It's probably also worth checking the temperature of your video card and cpu at full load.
Last edited by Elixer on Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nici

Post by nici » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:55 pm

rei wrote:i'm not sure exactly how to tell or read this, i've read the fundamentals link but still can't wrap my head around it.
All the mobos i´ve had have reported too low figures, check with a multimeter if you have one. But even 11,7x should be within spec i think, too tired to do the math now.

rei

Post by rei » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:38 pm

mentioned i'm running latest drivers, and the temps are well within reason.

using zalman vf700-alcu on the 7800gt at 5v, 50c idle, 70c load.
cpu temps are 30-35c idle 50c load.

TheAtomicKid

3d accel, etc.

Post by TheAtomicKid » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:08 pm

Not sure about the temps on the nvidia stuff, but those look 'reasonable'. Might triple check your thermal path from the gpu through the heatsink, etc, but if you installed it yourself, you probably already know it's either good, or needs messing with.

A little Holmesian logic leaves us with... drivers... and or power quality going into the card.

Is it a fresh installation? Was 3d acceleration working before? Do you have another PSU you could test? Can you tear the drivers out, including the chipset drivers, and reinstall from scratch? (careful with this one.. I've had it force me to reinstall EVERYTHING due to a failed driver uninstall before.. ugh)

TAK

(doesnt necessarily have to be a fresh install, but that usually means the drivers arent fubar'd in the registry)

maverickvns

Post by maverickvns » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:59 pm

funny (actually, it's not) that i've been scouring the net for a solution to the same prob that happened to me this past new year's day. my comp was running fine the way it was for half a year and now it would hard freeze anytime i tried loading something with directx or opengl. if i want to watch any type of video, i'd have to drop the hardware acceleration tab down to where it disables directx. it's absolutely frustrating because it was never like this before, i ran farcry, hl2, f.e.ar. on it many times before and it never messed up, now i can't even run a screensaver that uses 3d.

bfg6600gt pcix, super tornado 300w psu, temps all fine.

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:22 pm

I've had some graphics problems with my 7800GT but i've put it down to overclocking problems so i don't know how much help that is sorry.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:50 pm

I had 3D freeze a few times during the past year. Every time I use drivers cleaner program which seem to solve the problem.

Got to stop my bad habit of unnecessarily updating all the drivers/softwares, my Windows registry is full of junk. :cry:

rei

Post by rei » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:13 am

still happening, but occasionally rebooting suddenly too.

york

Post by york » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:10 pm

I had a similar issue with the system in my signature. The system would lock up after months of rock solid gaming and folding 24/7 somewhere along the line after an update it no longer would be stable in 3d based games the screen blanked and I could hear everything occuring ingame and sometimes it would do a random reboot. I swapped out the gfx card, psu, and ram with comparable spares without the problem being solved. While staring blankly at my Abit guru monitor I thought maybe its readings are not keeping up with machine, I then turned off all the warning beeps and auto adjust/overclock settings in bios. Ended up being the fan voltage control was not keeping up with the temp range and when I launched into games it locked up, I just set them to always run under 8 volts at load and the problem went away. I was able to turn all the other bios settings back and it stayed stable. Try adjusting bios monitor setup if you have that option ya never know right :D