Whiney VF700-CU LED

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Japesgalore

Whiney VF700-CU LED

Post by Japesgalore » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:54 pm

Why is it that, more often than not, components have such inconsistent characteristics? I'm not just talking about the discrepancies between what that company and the bought-out reviewers claim, but between the individual items themselves.

I had an VF700-CU. It was very good. I guess it was as good as Zalman said it was - inaudible at 5v. However, this VF700-CU LED has an awful fan on it. It produces a not-so-loud but fairly high pitched tone that can be heard above all my other 5v fans. Are they all like that, or just this one? Why are clearly inferior products aloud to go through quality control?

I really don't want to take the thing off my card, send it back to the shop, and put the other one back on - the one they'd send back could have the same problem, or worse. Can anyone say if fans sometimes need a 'breaking-in' period for them to shut up? Or is there something simple I can do to shut it up?

Cheers

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:02 pm

There is frequently a fair amount of variability in the noise levels of samples of the same model fan. Some of most expensive fans (Nexus) are supposedly cherry picked for their low noise. Fans can also be easily damaged in a way that increases the noise level.

But I haven't heard of anyone else using the LED version of VF700, so I don't if the noise is characteristic of that model. The fans on the VF700 are not great to begin with, so if you changed it out with a recommended fan, then you would definitely hear the difference. But you might need to settle for a fan without LED's.

Search the forums to find out what others have used for a fan substitution on the VF700 and how they moded the fan to fit the VF700.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:53 pm

Whine is regular at 5v with the VF700 (non-led version), the LED version as I heard is worst.

Try some 2" or thicker foam damping, it should take care of the high frequencies very good.

Japesgalore

Post by Japesgalore » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:37 am

Thanks, I guess you've answered my questions.

Obviously, I wouldn't have bought the LEDed version if it were not for this ridiculous mission I'm on to blingerise my pc. So, no I can't go back (because it looks too good) and no I can't put foam in because I've got a giant perspex window on the side of my case. The only thing that might help is to get another 120m AcoustiFan in to replace the Papst I have for intake. I was already contemplating it but had a small concern about the noise. I've replaced my other Papst with an AcoustiFan, but that was in aid of blingery as well as greater air flow. This new fan won't be seen but I know it'll be a little louder. At least it'll help mask the vf700cu LED.

Soon, I shall post my pics on this forum. Like I say, it's been an absolute mission of silencing, blingage, and overclocking. I think it was well worth it though, contrary to what most others here would think (understandably), and I'm looking forward to showing it off. :D

On a side note: Who, by any chance, has seen the Crucial Ballistic Tracer ram modules in action? Do they, with their flashing lights, look classy or tacky?