Homebrew VGA duct Project halted Due to the slip of a knife

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Homebrew VGA duct Project halted Due to the slip of a knife

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:06 am

Hello I though it might be a good idea to make this seeing as my VGA Temps drop by about 5-7c when I open the side of my case. But instead of drawing it and asking for options I made it instead. Any who here it is.

First thing I did was to take the original fan off.

The bare bones

Through to the HS

Finished (well nearly)

Just after I finished I realise that I will have to extend the end a bit so it can go under the Graphics card so the thin end will need to be about another 6-8CM longer.
This isn’t my actual Artic silencer it is an old revision that didn’t work so I got a new one. So I am asking for peoples options before I go cutting into my one that actually works.
Last edited by Fat_bloater_dave on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:23 am

Your fan is way too big for that duct, but it might work out anyway.

Roughly speaking, airflow is limited by the bottleneck of the smallest cross sectional area. The fan provides a particular pressure difference, and the airflow is roughly determined by the product of this pressure times the smallest cross sectional area. If the bottleneck of the smallest cross sectional area is smaller than the fan's area, the fan will fight against increased resistance to make up for the difference.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:29 am

IsaacKuo wrote:Your fan is way too big for that duct, but it might work out anyway.

Roughly speaking, airflow is limited by the bottleneck of the smallest cross sectional area. The fan provides a particular pressure difference, and the airflow is roughly determined by the product of this pressure times the smallest cross sectional area. If the bottleneck of the smallest cross sectional area is smaller than the fan's area, the fan will fight against increased resistance to make up for the difference.
Mmm so manny big words. But it would work better with a low airflow right? and thats what were all about.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:59 am

Just power on the fan and see what you get. Feel how much airflow you get, and note the level of noise. That'll give you the answers you need.

I think you'd probably want to go with a HIGH airflow voltage setting, but that this will actually result in low airflow due to the airflow bottleneck. I'm not optimistic about the noise, but there's really only one way to know for sure how it works out.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:10 am

IsaacKuo wrote:Just power on the fan and see what you get. Feel how much airflow you get, and note the level of noise. That'll give you the answers you need.

I think you'd probably want to go with a HIGH airflow voltage setting, but that this will actually result in low airflow due to the airflow bottleneck. I'm not optimistic about the noise, but there's really only one way to know for sure how it works out.
well at 5V there is more air comeing through end of the duct than comeing out of my Silencer at 25% and being a Nexus it is silent.

What do you think about doing it the other way round and sucking the air through would that make any diffrence?

Goat_guy

Post by Goat_guy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:26 pm

[quote="Fat_bloater_dave]
well at 5V there is more air comeing through end of the duct than comeing out of my Silencer at 25% and being a Nexus it is silent.

What do you think about doing it the other way round and sucking the air through would that make any diffrence?[/quote]

You probably want it blowing out as opposed to sucking becuase this is half the point of the VGA silencer...blowing out warm air, not sucking it in. This is presuming that your case is a primarily negative pressure system.

I am pretty darn interested in this setup, possibly setting up something like this for my mATX acrylic box.. How much flow do you get through with 7V as compared to 5V, and how about 9V-10V, and at full tilt?

Brian

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:12 pm

wait is the fan sucking air thru the Artic silencer or is it blowing thru?
in the pic, it is sucking or is just that way for reference

I would imagine that sucking thru a small opening would be more efficient than blowing which Isaac Kuo explained thru the use of big words :)

and is it outside of the case or inside, i'm thinking outside, but you never know :)

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:16 am

theyangster wrote:wait is the fan sucking air thru the Artic silencer or is it blowing thru?
In the pic, it is sucking or is just that way for reference

I would imagine that sucking thru a small opening would be more efficient than blowing which Isaac Kuo explained thru the use of big words :)

And is it outside of the case or inside, i'm thinking outside, but you never know :)
It is actually inside the case well it will be when I put it in. And yes it was just that way for reference I guess im just gonna have to bite the bullet and hack apart my arctic silencer and see if it works.
You probably want it blowing out as opposed to sucking because this is half the point of the VGA silencer...blowing out warm air, not sucking it in. This is presuming that your case is a primarily negative pressure system.
ah but you see with this setup the fan is actually at my front intake, so if it was blowing it would be taking air from outside and if it was sucking it would be putting it out the front.
I am pretty darn interested in this setup, possibly setting up something like this for my mATX acrylic box.. How much flow do you get through with 7V as compared to 5V, and how about 9V-10V, and at full tilt?
Unfortunately I cant do this, I am using a Zalman fan connector witch just has 5V and 12V, maybe I will get a fan mate for this setup though. Ill see what results I get at 5v and 12v.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:22 am

OH <censored for language>, well i tryed to remove the arctic silencer but it was tightly stuck so i though i know i shall give it a gentle nudge with a sharp knife, one slip and £180 down the drain i inadvertantly hacked one of the ramsinks off.

Time to replace my 6800GT with a 6600GT.

justblair

Post by justblair » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:56 am

Bummer Dude!!!!

Have you tried repairing it or has the heatsink taken the silicon with it?

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:04 am

justblair wrote:Bummer Dude!!!!

Have you tried repairing it or has the heatsink taken the silicon with it?
yeh it took the silicon with it. the comptuer boots but it sits on the boot screen. and the image is all jumbled and shit.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:44 am

Sorry about your card...

But the bottom line is that the setup works, eh..? I'v been drawing on a similar setup but I havn't tried it out yet.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:14 am

Poodle wrote:But the bottom line is that the setup works, eh..? I'v been drawing on a similar setup but I havn't tried it out yet.
Well yes from what i havee seen and felt of it, it would work. But it has no real testing.