For non-gamers, this is a cheap & quick mod

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

epiphane

For non-gamers, this is a cheap & quick mod

Post by epiphane » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:01 pm

Howdy All...1st post besides the Test forum

I'm preparing to post pics of my twin Lian Li's in the Gallery section next week but thought I'd jump in here. The first things to go during the project were the vid card & chipset fans.

I'm not a gamer, so the vid card mod isn't something that most of u can use on u'r card, but the same thing could be done to chipsets.

I've saved all of the heat sinks from my discarded PSUs & used one of them for this mod.

This PSU HS fit w/ no cutting at all. It was the exact width as the video HS. The card is a Matrox Parhelia.
It's held in just w/ pressure. I bent the top downward to catch air being blow in it's direction.

This doesn't make much sense probably, but when I post the whole project ur'll see how it fits in w/ the air flow.

Cheers
Peter

qviri

Post by qviri » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:07 pm

Hey, this reminds of my CPU heatsink back in the day:

(more ghetto goodness)

Pentium 133 MHz running fanless, fins from a dead PSU. This worked for at least half a year. Oh, and did I mention that clip is not attached to the socket on the other side due to the latch being broken off, and exerts hardly any pressure, so the heatsink is essentially sitting on top of the chip with no thermal paste either? The CPU would sometimes randomly overclock itself to 233 MHz to boot :D

epiphane

Post by epiphane » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:29 pm

qviri

Damn..they sure look similar, don't they??

I'm soo envious of u'r Ultra High Tension Polymer Retention Mechanism. Great product! Isn't it a shame they took it off the market?

Cheers
peter

qviri

Post by qviri » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:43 pm

Sure do... Guess all crappy PSUs look the same inside :D