Faulty X850

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mits

Faulty X850

Post by mits » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:37 pm

Two days ago, i received my new Powercolor X850XT, installed and tested it in 2d and 3d and everything was ok. Yesterday i fired up my computer and when i launched a 3d game the screen became corrupted, it was covered by small green dots which after a few seconds became big green blocks. I exited the game and when i returned to windows the desktop was filled with green vertical stripes. The same happened when i tested the card with either atitool or ati tray tool.
Then i set the fan to 100% speed and the result was the same.
During the test the reported GPU and mem temps were 51C and 45C. Even with the case opened nothing changes.
I think i'll have to send the card back to overclockers.co.uk.
Any ideas and/or suggestuions are welcome.

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:55 am

Try lowering the core and mem clocks with ATI Tool. The default settings may have changed ?

ddd

dorion

Post by dorion » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:45 am

I hit 65° C on my X850XT yesterday and there were no problems with image. Returning it would probably be the best idea because I'm very sure that x800s have more thermal range than what yours started freaking out on. I haven't had mine crash through heat yet except when the ATI Automated Overclocking Utility decided to max both memory and gpu. :lol:

mits

Post by mits » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:37 pm

Thank you guys,
[dddibley], Yes i've already lowered both gpu and mem clocks and the result was the same. I tested the card in another computer and the result was the same. Anyway the card has been rmaed and is in the procees to be returned back.

I'm curious gays, those of you who own a x850xt what cooling system do you use on the card? stock or aftermaket? I'm asking because the noise of the stock cooler is intolerable even at 5%.