replacing stock cooler on geforce 3 ti200

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

teddyastuffed

replacing stock cooler on geforce 3 ti200

Post by teddyastuffed » Thu May 11, 2006 3:20 pm

hey everyone! i tried using the search function to find this answer, but i dont know if theres better solutions cuz the most recent post referring to a geforce 3 ti200 is dated in march of 2005. ;o

pretty much i have a geforce 3 ti200 and want to still use it (i dont really game so theres no point for me to upgrade the card), but that fan on that thing is RIDICULOUSLY loud (only now realized it after quieting the rest of my computer components, this is pretty much the last step). so im just wondering whats the best passive cooling system to setup on this card?

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Thu May 11, 2006 9:20 pm

Zalman ZM80D-HP, or maybe Aerocool VM-101. The Aerocool may or may not work (they do not claim anything older than a GF4 as working), but the Zalman is a PITA to install (have patience with it!).

Thermaltake's solution may work, too, but it doesn't look much easier than the Zalman.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Fri May 12, 2006 7:58 am

Take a look at this thread. The card I used is still working and regularly sustains heavy gaming sessions.

diver

Post by diver » Fri May 12, 2006 10:40 am

Things to try:

150 ohm resistor inseries with the fan. This will take the sting out of it. You will be able to hear it with the case open, but likely other components in your system will drown it out. If you do not game, cooling should be good enough.

Zalman passive Northbridge cooler. These are cheap ($7) and several other folks around here have used them with success. Take the cover off the PCI slot or slots in line to deliver air to the cooler.

I would buy a passive video card like a Geforce 5200 for $35 before I would spend the same amount on a passive cooler for an oldie like you have.

teddyastuffed

Post by teddyastuffed » Fri May 12, 2006 2:06 pm

i thought about just simply getting a new video card (especially if a passive setup is going to cost me ~$30). would a fx5200 be equivalent to performance to the geforce 3 ti200? i honestly wouldnt even mind just upgrading my videocard to say a 6200, 9600pro, or something, but the catch is it HAS to be agp and it HAS to be passive (this computer is mainly going to be used in a home studio, so i really need it to be as quiet as possible). r their any suggestions as far agp passive video cards with some 'umph'? -_-. also one other thing that would be a great benefit is to have a videocard w/ dual outputs (as my current geforce 3 ti200 doesnt, it only has one vga out).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125166

this is the graphics card ive been lookin at for a while now, mainly cuz one of the few games i DO play is the sims 2, which i heard is a fairly memory intensive game (as far as gpu memory goes), and im sure that would destroy my current geforce 3 ti200.

either that or simply just go with a fx5200 like this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125191

also just to note, getting a new videocard WOULD probably be a great alternative cuz my mom is using her onboard 16mb gfx card to do photoshop processing and what not on her system at work. so if i got a new card, i could simply just pass this one down to her! and for the record, i dont plan on upgrading my current system any time soon to have pci-e capabilities n what not, so getting a new agp card wouldnt be the worst idea for me.

anyways thanks for the help guys!

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Fri May 12, 2006 3:57 pm

The 9600 Pro will get a little better performance than a GF4, so ont bad at all in comparison. For DX9 games, or if you're doing a lot of texture swapping, it will be much, much faster. It will beat the crap out of that FX 5200, too.

Photoshop does not use the video card for processing. Using IGP is certainly slower, but the CPU and RAM are going to be Photoshop's bottlenecks.