Friend of SPCR

New VGA coolers from Thermalright

Post by ryboto » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:21 am

These look interesting
(click images for larger view)

from another angle:

and one that may turn a few heads..

Full computex article: Techpowerup

if this is a double post, i apologize, i did a search, nothing recent on thermalright was found.
Last edited by ryboto on Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:42 am

Scythe is actually working on an external VGA heatsink as well, according to the person I talked to it should be on display at Computex, hopefully available in retail by August or September. :)

Engine

Post by Engine » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:57 am

Well, those just look great. It seems like Thermalright is really honing their "enormous heatpipe heatsink" design; that top image isn't significantly different from their giant CPU coolers...and I think I kind of want one.

That external beast, though...I've been wondering for a while now why more companies weren't doing similar designs. Nice to know TR and Scythe are catching up with my imagination. ;)

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:53 am

What's curious about the VGA cooler in the first two pics is the additional heatpipes out at the ends of the fin assembly, visible by the pipe tips emerging from the fins. The second shot shows that they don't come directly from the GPU core, so maybe they're loop-backs from two of the four coming from the core?

Clearly Thermalright believes in their method to encourage airflow through passive assemblies with those many "trapdoors".

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:47 am

The first cooler doesn't look that exciting. It's just a beefed up version of aerocool VM series.

Now the second one is what I always wanted. An external heatsink that will remove the videocard heat from the case and will be cooled by an exhaust fan. Potentially this could allow me to have only two fans in my main system - one fan in PSU which will cool my hard drive and PSU itself and an exhaust fan which will cool both videocard and CPU. Installation will probably be a b1tch though. :wink: I wonder when it is going to be available and at what price.

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:54 am

dfrost wrote:What's curious about the VGA cooler in the first two pics is the additional heatpipes out at the ends of the fin assembly, visible by the pipe tips emerging from the fins. The second shot shows that they don't come directly from the GPU core, so maybe they're loop-backs from two of the four coming from the core?
That might be possible,like Zalman with figure 8 heatpipe assembly . That one is nice(though they copied VM-101) and should be capable cooling 7900GTX, I should forget the idea using 2 VM-101 instead. :roll:
The third pic also looks like "chopped Scythe Mine put in the backside", the idea was also borrowed from Scythe previous stillborn VGA cooler I think. Though their newer implementation is different:
Larger image

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:55 pm

There's also a full coverage of the Thermalright stand on Matbe (Translated).

On the following pictures, you can see the new VGA, northbridge, CPU and RAM coolers. They all fit inside the same case (see the 3rd picture). I'm not sure if the RAM cooler is necessary though, it looks a bit overkill IMHO:

ImageImageImageImage
(Click on a picture for a larger view)

Here's another photo of that external prototype... Very promising! :D

(Click on the picture to enlarge)

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:28 am

RAM heatpipe cooling fo' shizzle! :lol:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:41 pm

Greetings,

This external one would be tough to use for SLi...

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:43 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote: This external one would be tough to use for SLi...
Probably impossible, unless heatpipes are longer than needed which would allow to "stack" two of them in one case. Even if it's not the case, it's always better to put one of these coolers on the top videocard and, say, vf900 on the other, this way the amount of heat generated inside the case will be cut in half and system fans won't have to spin so fast.