Directx 10 cards, when are they released?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Anvar
*Lifetime Patron*

Directx 10 cards, when are they released?

Post by Anvar » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:55 am

As the title states, when will the Directx 10 cards be released? I'm planning a new system, and was going to go for a 7900GT, but I don't want to get that and find that Nvidia releases the 8900GT two weeks later. So now I'm thinking of getting a 7600 GT instead.

L3thal

Post by L3thal » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:20 pm

Just get the 7900GT right now, if that's what you want. Everybody always waits around for the next "greatest" thing to come out, and by the time it finally arrives, there will be something better to wait around on...and the cycle continues. :lol: I am in the process of building a new system, and debated on spending a lot of $$$ on a nice DX9 card, or cheaping out, and getting a lower end card to hold me over till the DX10 cards hit the market...I decided just to get the 7900GT (Evga 7900GT KO N584). I figured, by the time that Vista finally comes out, and there are enough games that actually use DX10, it will be time to upgrade again anyways. AFAIK, most of the newer cards, will operate on Vista just fine, DX10, or not.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:18 pm

Ive heard rumors that they were both releasing new product around november or december (for the christmas season) but most likely they will be pushed back (but maybe not). Anyways eVGA has the stepup program so you have 3 months to upgrade to a better card if one comes out so maybe that is an option.

Anvar
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Anvar » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:16 am

The step-up program is nice, but you have to ship your card back to them before they'll ship out a new one, so that means no pc for a while. :shock:

I'm still waiting for Asus to release their Nforve 5xx series motherboards for Intel, so I'm in no rush.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:36 am

The rumour is that the dx10 cards from ati will be multi gpu and have LOW power consumption. They might actually be worth the wait this time...

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:30 am

Yea but there was also a rumor that they will need their own 700w power supply, just for the video card! I dont think any real facts are out yet, which basically means they are farther away then end of this year, because if they had a working model they would be bragging about it by now. Probably gonna be pushed back to next year some time.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:51 am

Well even if the rumours about the multi-gigawatt PSU requirements are nonsense, for the last few generations it's been the real top-end models which have launched first, followed by the GT-spec cards some time later (several months last time round IIRC).

I'm also not convinced by the rumours that NVIDIA will release G80 in September -- they have no real reason to, they're not losing the performance game, and with Vista being pushed back and back DX10 games aren't coming "soon".

For myself I'm not expecting to be able to buy a DX10 card which is attractive to me until the end of Q2'07 at the earliest.

psionic

Post by psionic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:39 pm

All excellent points.

Also, by the time games start coming out that actually make use of DX10 we will be looking at Q1 2007 at the earliest. And by that time, everyone will be speculating about the "2nd generation" of DX10 cards which will be using a more mature technology and sporting all sorts of new bells and whistles like faster clocks and lower power consumption, etc, etc.

I've played the "wait around for the hardware which will be 100x better". It almost never pays to be an early adopter. You just pay a ton of money for a buggy, poorly supported product. If anything, wait around for the first gen of DX10 cards just so you can buy the DX9 stuff at an amazing discount. :)

Eh, maybe I'm just tired and grumpy--bottom line, get what's best for you now and worry about DX10 when there are actually products for sell and you're not fighting over other people for the first few shipments of a product with 0 reviews and only beta driver support.

widman

Re: Directx 10 cards, when are they released?

Post by widman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:46 am

Directx 10 will be useless until Windows Vista release. Guess it still quite long to wait.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:39 pm

Did anyone else read the new GPU round-up at Anandtech? I think they know something they're not allowed to reveal quite yet.

From the intro:
"We won't be surprised to see a few more entries into this market before the end of the year, but we are certainly over due for a good hard look at anything but the high end."

And the final paragraph:
"The price cuts that came along this week almost caught us by surprise. We spent the past couple days going back and adding a few more tests and changing our recommendations based on the new price structure. With things that come seemingly out of nowhere like this, we tend to get a little suspicious. This type of price dropping is usually associated with inventory clearing designed to get the market ready for something new. If you have to upgrade now, we certainly can make recommendations. However, our gut tells us that it might be a little more prudent, if possible, to hold off a few weeks and see what comes down the pipeline."

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:29 pm

HammerSandwich wrote:I think they know something they're not allowed to reveal quite yet.
I think what they know about is probably this. A high-end refresh, not a DX10 card.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:49 pm

nutball wrote: A high-end refresh, not a DX10 card.
Perhaps, though I don't understand why that would be relevant to a mid-range roundup. Instead, I suspect we'll see a 7600GT killer in the near future.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:22 pm

A new card at the high-end could push some cards into the mid-range through price cuts? There are also rumours of a new version of the X1900GT based on a different chip (RV530? RV something anyway). Maybe this will shake things up.