VF900 RPM not showing in Speed fan

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

VF900 RPM not showing in Speed fan

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:13 am

Hey there I've modded my VF900 power cable by having it plugged into a 3pin plug that splits into a 2pin plug which is plugged into the Graphics card and a 3pin with the RPM monitor cable going into the motherboard.

Well Speed fan picks this up when the fan is running at full but anything under full it says that the fan is running at 0 RPM any ideas?

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:18 am

Maybe it's spinning too low to be detected properly?

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:34 am

Amourek wrote:Maybe it's spinning too low to be detected properly?
i thought of that but at 100% its running at 2722RPM and at 98% it shows as 0RPM where as my CPU Fan is running at 885RPM

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:36 am

RPM monitor cable?? did you just hook the RPM signal cable into a 3 pin connector and plug it in? i don't think that'll work, you need 2 wires goign in to reliably detect the rpm i think...

Dave did you knock this up yourself? i saw you ask about this elsewhere in the forum?

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:01 am

gb115b wrote:RPM monitor cable?? did you just hook the RPM signal cable into a 3 pin connector and plug it in? i don't think that'll work, you need 2 wires goign in to reliably detect the rpm i think...

Dave did you knock this up yourself? i saw you ask about this elsewhere in the forum?
Im pretty sure its only one cable there are 2 cables for power and one is the RPM Cable and I didn’t actually make this cable myself I found it lying around its got a 3pin connector on one end that the fan plugs into and 2 3pin connectors on the other one has 2 wires going into it the other has one wire.

i did change the 3 pin connector that has the power wires by putting a 2 pin connector instead but that shouldnt affect it should it?

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:39 am

right, you'd probably have to make the connector yourself...

for rpm to be measured effectively i believe that you need the two outer pins on a 3 pin fan connector cable to be connected to the motherboard header

(anyone please correct me if i'm wrong)

at least thats the way i've got it on various equipment (e.g. seasonic psu)

you can order the bits from maplin i'm sure...

alternatively i'll be doing something similar in the near future (cash flow permitting) so i can make a spare up and send it you if it works...

do you know of any software that works for SLI setups?

i heard there was soem nvdia software for nforce based m/bs called ntune?

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:26 am

Oh right well i dont think i will bother then i dont care that much ill just unplug it. its odd that if you need 2 wires that the RPM of the Fan does show up when its on full you would think that it wouldnt show at all.

And what do you meen by software, i use a program called Rivatuner for fan speeds i dont know wether it works with SLI