7950gt recommendations

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ranulfo

7950gt recommendations

Post by Ranulfo » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:41 pm

Anyone know which card has the generally quietest fan on these cards? I'm tempted to go with the passive XFX card but worry about summer temps (where I'm at I have no AC so figure up to 90F ambient on a rather hot day).

richard13

Post by richard13 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:07 pm

I think I have the XFX card you are talking about and it does get rather toasty while gaming. The way the fins are aligned (top to bottom instead of side to side) makes it difficult to cool with just intake fans. Well, at least with the quiet one I have.

I will probably wind up either suspending a fan over the card or laying it on top. I am not going to modify the cooling solution on the card itself because that would void the warranty.

I wouldn't worry too much about ambient temperatures as any video card will get way hotter than that regardless.

Richard

rp

Post by rp » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:54 am

If you can live with something thats merely quiet, the Arctic NV5 Cooler fits fine, as long as you trim .50 inch off the plastic exhaust shroud. I originally planned on a MSI 7950GT passive, but none were in stock and I just settled for a Asus vanilla 7950GT and the above mentioned cooler. I run it off a fanmate, and 6v is more than enough to keep the card around 65-70degrees under load.

This is in a SLK3700 with a stock Antec 120mm exhaust running at 5v. The fact that the hot air is removed from the system, is a big plus in my book.

Ranulfo

Post by Ranulfo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:49 pm

Thanks for the info. It would be going in a lianli pc65 case (with top fan/exhaust) so it would probably be ok. Just trying to find out how loud the fanned cards are comparatively. I can live with some noise but I've gotten used to only have to hear my noisy psu and barely hear my cpu fan. :)

I suppose I can go with an evga or whoever will let me put a modded fan on it, I'm just lazy and don't want to put a custom arctic cooler on it.

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:04 am