HR-03/ ATI 9800 (two mount holes) w/measurements

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

HR-03/ ATI 9800 (two mount holes) w/measurements

Post by Bluefront » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Well it's not supposed to fit according to Thermalright, and the mount brackets are for a four-hole mount system only. An SPCR member asked me to try to fit this heatsink on an older card that only has two holes...a 9800.

With a little effort it fits very well. You have to construct an entirely new mount....not too hard. I cut a sheet of copper into a shallow box-like shape that fits around the heatsink base. The edges are lapped over the heatsink slightly, so the attached heatsink cannot slide around. The second part of this assy is an aluminum bracket with appropriate holes, epoxied to the copper section. I did the epoxy job with everything attached so as to get the assy square. The copper box is about 1/4" longer than the heatsink base. This gives the whole assy some in/out adjustment on the card.

And it's a close fit, but you can install a short pci card into the adjacent pci slot......only of course if the heatsink is on the top of the card. This same bracket can be used with the heatsink on the other side, but you lose the slot, maybe two.

Happy modding.... :D

Last edited by Bluefront on Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:16 am

I took a few more measurements.....might help you out to see if this heatsink can fit your card, even with a DIY mount.

The four heatpipes are within 3/16" of the card pcb. If you mount the fins on the top-side, the lowest point of the fins is within 1/4" of the pcb in many places. The four heatpipes are 1" wide to the edge of the board where they branch out.

This heatsink will not fit my X800 AIW...... there are some components on the board that will not clear the heatpipes. Too bad. :cry:

And I measured my AIW 2006......probably would fit if you slightly bent the cd audio in connector on the card. This is a fanless card anyway, so an upgrade to an HR-03 is pointless.

SteveZ

Post by SteveZ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:28 pm

I'm looking at installing an HR-03 on an ATI 9800 pro; should this new adapter that thermalright released do the trick?

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main ... _a_MCL.htm

It says it is compatible with the X800, but doesn't say anything about a 9800. Do these two cards have the same mounting system?

Thanks
-Steve

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:20 pm

Well that's a 9800 pro in the pictures I posted. That revised bracket looks like it would work exactly like my DIY bracket. While I had the heatsink, I checked my X800 AIW........no way it would fit, not even close. The mount holes look to be the same size/location, but there are components on the card too tall to clear the heatpipes....

That DIY bracket was an easy mod, and could be adjusted for different hole spacing. The problem is the heatpipes, and how close they are to the card.

DWangerin

Post by DWangerin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:36 pm

If you still have the HR-03, would you mind taking some measurements of how tall the heatpipes are, from the top of the video card to the top of the heatpipes? I have a Coolermaster ATCS-410 case that is pretty shallow, and I don't want to buy a HR-03 just to find that I can't get the cover back on the case...

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:22 am

I don't have it anymore.....remember I made the thing for someone else. But look at the last picture.....the four pipes are exactly 1" wide. The top of the pipes looks to be about 1 5/8" over the top of the card.

However.....what that picture doesn't show is the adjustment ability of my DIY mount. Notice how long the copper box-like section is. The entire heatsink can be moved up/down almost 1/2". The lower limit is determined by the ends of the heatpipes. Those heatpipes get very close to the MB when the assy is lowered. I think that picture was taken with the heatsink mounted in the middle of the adjustment range. It could go somewhat lower.....

This mount design is superior to the stock mount, because of the adjustment feature. They should hire me to do their designs..... :lol:

SteveZ

Post by SteveZ » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:06 am

This picture might help:

DWangerin

Post by DWangerin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:44 pm

Thanks! Looks like it will fit, especially if I use the better mounting method.

TedMC
Patron of SPCR

Post by TedMC » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:18 pm

OK ...IM the member that Bluefront made the bracket for!!! It does fit my X800PRO. I'm guessing that Bluefront's AIW has some extra stuff that the PRO/XL/XT/GTO standard vid cards do not have. Remember an AIW is a TV tuner also. The best way that I could mount the HR-03 on my X800PRO WITH Memory heatsinks installed was to mount the HR-03 BELOW the card. This way the memory heatsinks only interfere with the heat pipes on ONE mem chip.
Used this way I get 41C with ATI Tray TOOLS renderer running for 1 hour and 31-33C idle. These are Identical temps that the Zalman VF-900 Cu with the fan on HIGH gave me.
I mounted a Scythe S-Flex E 1200 rpm to the underside of the HR-03 and this combo is barely noticeable with the fan on 12V and nearly silent at 7V.
The Zalman was getting on my nerves

SteveZ

Post by SteveZ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:27 pm

I'll be installing one of these on an ati branded 9800pro card this weekend with the new adaptor, so if anyone is interested i'll let you know how it goes.

SteveZ

Post by SteveZ » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:34 pm

It worked. I has to use two of the washers on the back to prevent it from touching some of the components on the back, but other than that the 6-hole adapter fit the ati radeon 9800 pro, and the heatsink fit the card. Working great so far...

Steve