l.e.d. removal

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

scylla

l.e.d. removal

Post by scylla » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:04 am

Hi, another longtime lurker here.

I'm new as far as posting here, and so far have no tips to offer, just questions. :roll:

I've just ordered a zalman vf700 led from the egg because it's $9 cheaper than vf 700's without led's.

I wonder if there is a way to turn off or disable the led's because I really don't care much for bling factor.

BTW fellas, this place is awesome relief for the tattered mind!

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:57 am

syclla wrote: I wonder if there is a way to turn off or disable the led's
I doubt it. I personally have one, (but its at home) so I don't have a visual. From my experiences, the led's are in the fan itself. To disable the leds would mean: a) removing and replacing the stock fan. b) dismantling the fan to cut the leds out. Either choice sounds more difficult than what it's worth (to me).
scylla wrote:I really don't care much for bling factor.
Can I persuade you to just leave them? It is not distracting at all, and the leds are rather on the dim side. If your case is closed, I doubt you would see the light outside the case. (Even in the dark!) If you had a case with a side window, the vf700 is still not that much "bling". It's really not that bad. My advice would be to try it first before changing anything.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:43 am

If you're going to go through that much trouble you might as well do a fan swap. It'll improve performance and the lower noise.

scylla

Post by scylla » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:56 pm

I guess I'll just have to see how bright it really is. Maybe the blue light shining won't be as irritating as case fan led's can be.

Before I do a fan swap maybe I'll try just crushing the head of the led with needle nose pliers, to see if that works.

After all, it's just a small bulb right?

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:42 pm

scylla wrote:I guess I'll just have to see how bright it really is. Maybe the blue light shining won't be as irritating as case fan led's can be.

Before I do a fan swap maybe I'll try just crushing the head of the led with needle nose pliers, to see if that works.

After all, it's just a small bulb right?
LEDs aren't really bulbs, like incadescent light bulbs. They're made of solid epoxy. I've never seen the inside of this fan, so I also don't know if the LEDs are surface mounted on a board, which would make them quite small. I wouldn't try breaking them personally, since it might cause shorts or circuit board damage.

If it's anything like my 7000Cu-LED fan, however, it won't be that bright. The fan has kind of a frosted texture, which diffuses and dims the light quite a bit more than other transparent fans.

a_punker

Post by a_punker » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:57 am

i think i've read that the Zlaman LED fans are made of a lighter, stiffer/more brittle plastic which gives off a higher frequency rattle than the non-LED black fans.

Buddabing

Post by Buddabing » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:24 pm

Don't destroy the LEDs. Just mark over them with a black Sharpie.