Some Advice Is Needed

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PopCorn

Some Advice Is Needed

Post by PopCorn » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:51 pm

Hey I dont know much about video card.. si my question is does an 8800gts have the same mounting bracket for a heatsink as other cards and what would be the best after market cooler for a 8800gts..

this is what im gonna be getting in a week http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130038

kater

Post by kater » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:45 am

Thermalright HR-03 Plus will be compatible with 8800 series. I'm not sure if it's available already. You'll also have to somehow cool the card's VRM modules. I haven't seen this heatsink on any 8800 but I guess it will also require a fan to help cool it. +100W of heat is a lot.

From what I've read on the cooler on 8800 cards, it's v v quiet. People claim that in idle mode it's as quiet as the best active coolers with fans. Even when it ramps up it's still v decent. They also compare it to the one on 7900GTX which I personally think is quieter than Zalman VF 700. If so, then the stock cooling will most probably perfect for everyone except the most hardcore silencers.

Check here for more info.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:47 am

As of yet Thermalright HR-03 Plus is not on the market what I've seen. Considering the fact that HR-03 had 4 heatpipe and Plus has 6 heatpipes, I am sure the Thermalright HR-03 Plus is more than enough to have you 8800 run much more cool and quiet than with stock, once you get it. But it will be expensive.

So far none of the current after market coolers they sell in here have been compeatable with 8800 series. Thermalright HR-03 Plus is only after market cooler that I know is compeatable for 8800-series.

But I have to agree with Kater. My friends who have had 8800 series card and reviews in web do say the stock cooler in 8800-series is quiet.

So I suggest you put that card on your computer first before starting to pay extra from aftermarket cooler and void warranty by removing the stock cooler. Test it with stock at first.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:32 pm

yea ill be ordering the card and some of those tiny heatsinks with it to night ... total is $327.90.. so ill be eating potatoes foe a week but ill be able to play games :lol: once i get it ill do a review for it so u know how quiet it is to "us"... i would have had it tomorrow but i was like $20 short for it to be shiped over night :twisted: .... cant wait till i get it :D