Gigabyte 8600GTS 256MB Passive FORKING HOT!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jolynsbass

Post by jolynsbass » Thu May 24, 2007 8:49 am

cloneman wrote:
jolynsbass wrote: I monitor temps through a sensor attached directly to the heatsink that goes to my Kama Meter. That way I don't use any software at all.
Where can I get one of those temp sensors?
I realize this a late reply, but to answer you, cloneman, the sensor comes with the Kamameter. That unit comes with 4 temp sensors (I attached one to cpu heatsink, gpu heatsink, power supply, and hdd.) Scythe also sells a single temp reading unit, the Kama Thermo, for considerably less money (and less bling) than the Kama Meter: check it out here

zerok66

Post by zerok66 » Fri May 25, 2007 1:57 am

Hi Guys,

Just an update on this... having had the card in a week or some and done some gaming etc... seems once the lid is on and the case has the correct airflow passing through it the card runs very cool... even when stressing it with games - quite happy with that :)

False alarm then... just make sure your case is well vented and you have airflow passing through.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Fri May 25, 2007 2:55 am

zerok66 wrote:Hi Guys,

Just an update on this... having had the card in a week or some and done some gaming etc... seems once the lid is on and the case has the correct airflow passing through it the card runs very cool... even when stressing it with games - quite happy with that :)

False alarm then... just make sure your case is well vented and you have airflow passing through.
So there's no sign of the squealing problem mentioned by The Tech Report (on more than one sample)?

Under load, it was actually the second noisiest card they tested... :(

crispyfish

Post by crispyfish » Fri May 25, 2007 9:32 am

Never had any "squealing" from mine...

heartsurgeon

Post by heartsurgeon » Sat May 26, 2007 7:33 am

i have the gigabyte 8600gts. i installed in a rack mounted HTPC system, and placed a "blowhole" above the card with an undervolted Nexus 120mm fan (inaudible).

the video card runs 40-41 degrees during typical usage with this setup.

i did this because the video card heatsink (which looks like you could grill meat on) ended up right on top of the southbridge (?) heatsink on the motherboard (gigabyte DS3).

I used a 4.5" bimetal hole saw to drill the blowhole, it worked out really well. with the fan positioned directly over the video card.

zerok66

Post by zerok66 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:48 pm

Not suffered the buzzing/squeeling. I have played BF2 and Counterstrike Source with no odd noises at all. They are not modern games, but at 1920x1200 and most settings on max, the card is pushed and it does struggle at certain points. Cross fingers it was just a bad batch then?

iencoder

Post by iencoder » Sat May 26, 2007 8:45 pm

zerok66 wrote:Not suffered the buzzing/squeeling. I have played BF2 and Counterstrike Source with no odd noises at all. They are not modern games, but at 1920x1200 and most settings on max, the card is pushed and it does struggle at certain points. Cross fingers it was just a bad batch then?
I have a feeling it's the power supply used in their test system. They said they swapped out the boards and cards, but didn't mention power supply.

The reason I say this is that I used to use an Enermax EG475P power supply on my P5P800SE system. With either a Radeon 9800 Pro or MSI GeForce 5900XT my system would squeal/hiss when I had too much video activity or even moved around windows. I then tried a much less powerful GeForce 5200 card (did not require a molex connector) and the squealing was reduced, but not gone.

Later on I replaced the power supply with a Seasonic S12+ 550W and the squealing is now completely non-existant with my Radeon 9800 Pro. It was hard to pinpoint the noise problem, at one point I thought it was coming from the videocard. I even put my ear to the case but couldn't confirm it was the PSU until I swapped it out.

Just my two cents.

Anyhow, I'm on the verge of ordering the MSI GeForce 8600GTS passive for my HTPC so I'd like to hear if anyone else is getting the squealing. I find the sound of intermittent videocard hissing/squealing can be way worse than the constant noise of a fan!

heartsurgeon

Post by heartsurgeon » Sun May 27, 2007 7:22 am

no squealing heard...

ran a movie last night, temps of the video card immediately after the movie were 48 degrees.

system temp was lower, and cpu temp was in the 30"s

very pleased, very cool, very quiet.

HueyCobra

Post by HueyCobra » Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 am

PenStar Systems has reviewed the 8600 GTS Silent-Pipe III.
Josh Walrath wrote:In a review by Tech Report they reported that their sample of this same product creating a loud and annoying whining noise when running a 3D application. I did not experience this with the sample that I have. It is assumed that the problem could be a voltage regulator that is not adequately sealed or secured.

I had no problems whatsoever with this card, and noticed no quality issues with this sample. Hopefully the sound issues that Tech Report experienced will simply be bad luck, and users buying this product in retail will hear the exact same thing as I did from this card. Nothing.