Asus: better for NVidia cards?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorZX3

Asus: better for NVidia cards?

Post by RaptorZX3 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:53 pm

i really think Asus is much better for NVidia cards than ATI...since i had a very bad experience with the Asus X1600Pro Silent 512mb...i had to talk to a level-3 technician at Asus to ask him to change model for the GeForce 7600GT Silent 256mb.

plus, in my old computer, i had an Asus GeForce 2 MX 32mb AGP 2x, for over 5 years, and never had a single problem with it. Since then i sold the computer and parts (sold the video card to a buddy who wanted to change his card for a better and more compatible one, he had a Matrox G400 AGP 32mb before)

do you think Asus is better for NVidia cards?

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:52 am

Eh Asus is a brand while Nvidia, AMD/ATI and Intel does the chipset that acctually runs the motherboard.
An Asus with Nvidia chipset is probibly slightly bether for Nvidia graphiccards while an Asus with AMD/ATI chipset is bether for AMD/ATI graphiccards

samuelmorris

Post by samuelmorris » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:49 am

There's nothing in it, people have bad luck with certain graphics cards every now and then, and it's foolish just to assume that whatever went wrong must be a bad product. Admittedly, there are occasions when the same product goes wrong multiple times, in which case, bad luck or otherwise, it seems reasonable to switch (Epson and BenQ in my case) but certainly in the graphics sector there aren't really any bad companies. Since the reference design is manufactured by ATi or nVidia only (and believe it or not, they do know what they're doing) it just leaves the brand name to finish the job, and Asus are a company that should be good at doing that. The brands you've never heard of that cost the least may as well be avoided, but Asus?
I would happily recommend an Asus card on either platform, as I would many other brands. I've used Sapphire for a number of graphics cards and not had any issues yet.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:04 am

it's just that Asus are a lot more oriented to silent video cards than other companies where they barely touch that domain

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:20 am

I do have an asus eax 1950 pro. It is a perfect card, runs perfect. An hugely oversized cooler, therefore it cools also good at a very low fan rpm :) so you don't hear it :).

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:59 pm

samuelmorris wrote: I've used Sapphire for a number of graphics cards and not had any issues yet.
i've used sapphire - radeon 8500LE's

the only problem with them isnt a stability issue, but the fan on them dies fairly quickly.

not a big deal, iceberq just perfectly fits on the GPU.