8600GT + AC Accelero S1/S2?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SilentShoe

8600GT + AC Accelero S1/S2?

Post by SilentShoe » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:55 am

Well neither the Accelero S1 or S2 say anything about compatibility with 8x00 series.
i was wondering if they would fit my 8600GT, and if it would even fit in the antec solo.
i cut a piece of paper out :oops: according to its dimensions and it looks like it should fit size-wise but im still unsure about its compatibility.
afraid it might cover a bunch of my SATA ports too :cry:

Arctic Silver 5 is better than AC MX-1?

Blacktales

Post by Blacktales » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:16 am

I'm sorry i have no idea for your question about the Accelero on a 8600GT card. Though i'm sure a lot of people will help you.

But i can give you informations for the question about thermal paste, though i'm probably starting flame war with AS5 addicts.

- Both are really good TIM

- AS5 is electrically conductive / MX-1 is not but the risk of shorting anything with both is low if you apply correctly

- MX-1 usually achieve one or two degrees lower than AS5 in my experience and reviews over the web. But is has a longer curing period to achieve those results and need high temperatures to do so. CPU BurnIn sessions helped in my case.

- MX-1 is supposed to be optimised for rough non-mirror-finish heatsink surfaces (take it with a grain of salt), but i never tested that for i don't lap my heatsinks.

- AS5 is way easier to apply if you do it with a blade or credit card / MX-1 is really thick and is supposed to be applied as a dab on the center of the GPU to be pressed down by the heatsink. In my case, the fact that the ninja can be slightly rotated when mounted on a s939 board helped to ensure spreading was good and minimal thermal paste remained between chip and heatsink.

- If ambient is above 25 or you heat it a bit with a hairdrier, MX-1 becomes much easier to spread manually (This is what is usually do because pressure is seldom enough to spread on the whole chip).

- Good application and heatsink mounting will be much more critical than using one or the other.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:09 am

Blacktales wrote:- AS5 is electrically conductive / MX-1 is not but the risk of shorting anything with both is low if you apply correctly.
AS5 is not conductive. You can test that yourself if you have a multimeter. It is capacitive under pressure, apparently, but it's not likely to be applied to exposed circuitry under pressure.

I can't speak for how well it compares to MX-1 because I don't have any, but I'm sure both will perform well enough that the difference will be inconsequential.

z3r0

Post by z3r0 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:37 pm

Inno3D sells a 8600gts with a Accelero S2 preinstalled and a 8600gt with a S1 installed so I think you will most likely be fine.

Oh and my vote for thermal compound is use the stuff included with the heatsink. (It's free.)

SilentShoe

Post by SilentShoe » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:27 pm

z3r0 wrote:Inno3D sells a 8600gts with a Accelero S2 preinstalled and a 8600gt with a S1 installed so I think you will most likely be fine.

Oh and my vote for thermal compound is use the stuff included with the heatsink. (It's free.)
o, tyvm, those cards look really nice

think i should get one (cooler not card :wink: ) once their instock @ local store then :D

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:35 pm

as5 is great stuff. I do not think you can go wrong with it.

i think now, after years of figuring things out, that Ceramique is the better of all of them. it is fool proof and provides consistent temps without worrying too much. it also isnt a thermal "grease" like as5 is, which voids the warranty on many machines. odd fact. Ceramique looks pretty greasey to me but apparently it isnt to the manufacturers. Theres another thread about this. also, the goop that comes with most of the companies that is free isnt that great. for a cheap upgrade in goop, you can drop 2-5 degrees celsius on load. Ceramique cures within a day of using it about. just get the comp hot 2-3 times and turned off 2-3 times the first day and you reach the same point it takes like 2 weeks for as5 to cure.

Every time I clean and re-apply thermal goop on a factory built heatsink, I notice that temps drop. Can't they just do a better job? I Always wonder that. they might get better reviews if they did on heat