thermal tape suggestions for HR-03 Plus

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aztec

thermal tape suggestions for HR-03 Plus

Post by aztec » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:24 pm

Finally got my HR-03 Plus ordered.

So after reading through a bunch of reviews and forums, it seems the consensus is to either use thermal epoxy or another brand of tape for attaching the RAM heatsinks on.

I'd prefer not to epoxy as I may want to sell the card in the future and would rather not have to deal with trying to remove the epoxy.

So...what thermal tapes are available out there that will work better than the ones included with the HR-03 Plus.

Thanks for any suggestions.

*I've only seen the ones from 3M as an alternative.

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:07 am

i fitted the HR-03 Plus on my 8800 the other day and stuck the ramsinks on as they are and they are still stuck ok, i did knock them off a couple times when fitting the heatsink but once they were on i left it the right way up for an hour and fitted it and its still fine now :)

LuckyNV

Post by LuckyNV » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:04 pm

just clean the ram chips and then press and hold the ram sinks for 10-15 seconds each, they will stick fine.

people with problems just didn't clean the ram chips or press and hold properly (sandwich heatsink, ram chip and PCB between your thumb and forefinger)

a bit time consuming perhaps, but the only way of getting it done well. Simply sticking on and giving a press isn't enough.

aztec

Post by aztec » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:18 pm

fair enough...will try with the stock heatpads first.

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:05 pm

I just did this install 2 days ago. I cleaned ram chips 4 times with 99% isopropyl alcohol and they stuck fine. Holding them for 10 seconds makes a big difference. Card mounts upside down in my case so no worries of them falling off. They did feel well attatched tho.

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:10 am

Using a heat gun, or carefully holding the heatsink near a candle's flame (using small pliers) heats up the tape and makes it much stickier.

But if you do need to use thermal epoxy, you can find Arctic Alumina Adhesive, which holds very well but not permanently.