Slowing down nVidia 7600GT fan

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rewdoalb

Slowing down nVidia 7600GT fan

Post by Rewdoalb » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:23 am

Hi everybody, I've been browsing the site for a while but this is my first post/topic :)

My build is mostly silent enough for me since ambient noise levels are pretty high. Running Q6600 @ and w/ stock in a CM centurion 5 (fans at <1000 RPM) However, I can really notice the 7600GT fan, and when I go into nVidia control panel it doesn't let me change the fan speed.

What is a *FREE* application from a *SAFE* download location that I can use for this? Preferably something that ties up very little system resources (if it must stay running in the background).

Thanks!

-Rewdoalb

DreamKiller

Post by DreamKiller » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 pm

Rivatuner: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

It changes fan speed on the driver level, so it doesn't really need to be loaded after you set the speed. The only thing you need is an Nvidia card with a Voltage or RPM fan-speed control. Most cards after the 6-series are equipped with this (even the lower model ones), so I think the 7600GT is fine.

I've been using it since 2004 (when the 6800's first came out with the fan controls). So It's quite safe.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:22 pm

Welcome to SPCR!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:20 pm

If you're willing to void the warranty (or it's expired) you can do the fan speed control in the BIOS by using NiBiTor (can be found just about anywhere) to edit the fan speed settings in the video BIOS so it will be active even before the drivers are loaded in windows.

There are several guides out there to show you how do use it properly.

c3k

Post by c3k » Sun May 04, 2008 7:33 am

Guys,

I have a few quick questions about fan speed control.

I have an evga 8800gtx with a thermalright hr-03plus and a nexus real silent 92mm PWM fan connected to the graphic card's fan plug.

I have downloaded and tuned rivatuner 2.09 to modulate the fan speed based on gpu core temperature. At 40% speed it is nice and quiet with a gpu temp, under moderate load, in the mid to upper 50's. (Room temp about 23-25C.)

I am running rivatuner in the vista64 ultimate startup folder. UAC is enabled. I click "allow" twice on every startup.

How can I keep my graphic card fan control running against a temperature table without running rivatuner in the background?

Is there a way to load the fan profile into the gpu?

Can I run rivatuner and then shut it down during each power-on session? If so, short of running task manager, how do you shut off rivatuner?

Thanks,
Ken

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun May 04, 2008 11:16 am

What you're asking for here is a temperature-controlled fan controller. To do it in software, obviously you need software (Rivatuner). To do it in hardware, it has to be built into the hardware. You can't setup a custom temp profile for the GPU as far as I know without RivaTuner. In the vBIOS you'll have two settings 2D and 3D, and that's about it.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Sun May 04, 2008 5:21 pm

jhhoffma wrote: You can't setup a custom temp profile for the GPU as far as I know without RivaTuner. In the vBIOS you'll have two settings 2D and 3D, and that's about it.
Wait, do you mean that you can't have a fan slowly ramp up according to temperature via the GPU BIOS? If so, its possible. Or at least it works for me and my X1950 Pro. It might be an ATI thing, I'm not sure. But you could set about ten different temperatures and each temperature had a fan speed associated with it. My advice would be to use NiBiTor, and find out. At worst, you can reduce the load speed to tolerable levels, without background software.

Hope this helps.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon May 05, 2008 5:35 am

Well, the last two nvidia cards I owned only had the two settings, but I the only ATI card I have now in use is cooled passively.