EVGA AKIMBO Cooler

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Matrinix

EVGA AKIMBO Cooler

Post by Matrinix » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:34 am

Hello all.

I am going to be building myself a gaming system in a month or two, and with the price cuts NVIDIA has been making, it seems like a perfect time. I am planning on getting a 8800GT 512 or a 8800GTS 512 for my system.

My question is, noise-wise would an EVGA AKIMBO cooler on a non-OCed 8800GT or a non-OCed 8800GTS 512 stock cooler be quieter or just as quiet than the stock cooler on a non-OCed 8800GTS 640?

Reason I ask, a friend of mine has a 8800GTS 640 in his computer (in an Antec Solo) and I can't hear it, so if the AKIMBO or 8800GTS 512 stock cooler is just as quiet, that means I shouldn't be able to hear it either.

My policy on modding systems for noise is "wait and see" (as in, wait and see if its too loud, and if it is, install new heatsink, etc.).

Also, I perfer to have my components actively cooled if possible (to prevent any damage or overheating) and as such I like dual-slot coolers as they make it where the heat is exhausted out the back instead of left proliferating inside the case.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I appologize if this has been asked before, but I searched the forums and couldn't find the information I was looking for.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:01 am

Noisewise, the Akimbo would likely be quieter than stock, but if your going to purchase something that expensive, you're better off getting a stock cooled one for cheaper and spend the difference on a real GPU cooler (Accelero S1 or Thermalright HR-03).

xev

Post by xev » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 am

i agree. a accelero s1 with a fan next to the pci slots would be enough to suck out all the warm air from the S1 and out the case.

[/img]

Teh Lurv

Post by Teh Lurv » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:41 pm

I recently purchased the stock clocked EVGA 8800GT with the Akimbo cooler preinstalled which replaced my stock cooler 7900GS card. The card is in my quiet (not completely silent) Solo rig.

At idle and load the fan is inaudible over the whoosh of my case fans. This is in contrast to my old 7900GS, where the stock cooler would be inaudible at idle, but crank up to a high whiny noise on load. That isn't to say that the Akimbo can't be loud. During boot for a few seconds before the 8800GTs BIOS kicks in, the fan runs at 100% and it sounds like a hair-dryer.

The highest temp Speedfan has ever recorded my card is 75C while playing Crysis for a few hours. This is impressive as I live without AC and room temps can get up to 28C.

Matrinix

Post by Matrinix » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:57 pm

Teh Lurv, thanks for your information, its more intuned to what I needed to know.

xev and jhhoffma, thanks for your input as well, but I can get an AKIMBO 8800GT for the same price as a non-AKIMBO 8800GT, so I was trying to figure out if it would be quieter than the 8800GTS 640 or if I'd need to get an additional aftermarket cooler as well.