lowest temperature gpu

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gopherbob

lowest temperature gpu

Post by gopherbob » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:04 am

I've been searching for days and have not been able to find a graphics card that suits my needs. I'd like to first find the newest graphics cards that run the coolest. I don't mean run cool as in have the best cooling solution but run cool as in the cards actual heat dissipation.

I'm not looking for high end and I was attempting to stay below $200 dollars in price (but I can pay more if the right card showed up).

I'm not a computer gamer but who knows I may throw crysis in my computer and would want to be able to play it on lower settings. In the future I would be getting blu-ray drive and burner etc so HD playback and encoding is the more important skill.

So far my search has led me to the 9600gt series. Does this sound about right? Is there another semi-current nvidia card I should read up on? So far ATI's cards seem to be on average hotter than nvidia cards. I plan on using whatever card I choose for the next 5 years so I don't want to mess up like I did with my BFG 5700 ultra!

If anyone has any help, I thank you! I normally don't like to ask such questions on forums and prefer to just read reviews and research things myself but this time I feel I need some expert help and I would think silent pc fans would know more about lowest temperature graphic cards than anyone else?

thanks!

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:52 am

Hi, and Welcome to SPCR!

The two cards that I would recommend are the nVidia 9600GT and the ATI 3870. In terms of performance, the cards are essentially equal. The most notable difference is the 3870's excellent idle power consumption. SPCR has estimated the idle power draw of the 3870 to be a mere 17W! The idle draw is very very good considering how much performance the card offers. If I had to choose, I'd pick the 3870 over the 9600GT simply because of the lower idle power consumption.

I cannot recommend any of the latest generation of graphics cards. Both nVidia's and ATI's offerings seem to be a who-can-fit-the-most-transistors-on-a-single-card-contest. :? Power consumption is high for all these cards.

Hope this helps. :)

Edit: The HD playback acceleration of both the 9600GT and 3870 are good. SPCR's 3870 review (same page as link above) shows that the 3870 can easily cope with the demanding WVC1 codec.

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:43 pm

Thanks a lot! I'll read up on the 3870. Is there a particular company that stands out who produces HD3870s? Which company, nvidia or ati, has better vista 64 support? I'll be using 32bit business edition vista but I do plan at some point in vista's lifetime jumping into the world of 64.

The SPCR 22dba computer inspired me to try and build a computer that: runs as cool as possible, runs as quiet as possible, runs as fast as possible(first two objectives have priority) and lastly being reasonably priced as I am a poor college kid!

Operation Sub-Zero(Decided it needed corny name):

Intel dual core E8400 (everyone seems to love it and being 45nm I assume it runs relatively cool)

Antec P182 (copied the SPCR 22dba model, that case looks very nice)

Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Zalmen PSU (Haven't narrowed these down yet but it shouldn't be too difficult... it will be 80 plus certified)

Motherboard... no clue yet. I just ordered a $33 clearance abit board to use with all the pieces until I make up my mind on the graphics card and motherboard)

4gb(2x2gb)ddr2

Adaptec 39160 32/64bit SCSI controller(just for messing around and I might get a cheap 4-9gb enterprise class hard drive and use as a dedicated windows page file) << the small SCSI ultra160 drives are very cheap on ebay, I just don't know about the noise and heat output

Toss it all together with some nice quiet fans and it should be a nice solid computer.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:42 pm

Looks good, but I would go for a VelociRaptor or a small SSD instead of a SCSI HDD. A dedicated HDD for swap is not really necessary imho. In fact I have disabled swap altogether. But I run WinXP and Ubuntu and wouldn't run Vista if my life depended on it so.. ;)

PSU.. The Corsair 450VX is very popular.

As for the motherboard I'm not quite up to date on those today. My last major upgrade was early this year and at that time it was P35 and especially the Gigabyte boards that looked most promising. Today I would take a closer look at the Gigabyte P45 boards but I don't know if better alternatives exists today.

I agree with angelkiller on the choice of graphics card. To bad AMD cannot get the HD4850 to play nice in idle. The best choice is still HD3870 (with an Accelero S1 on it for silent operation) if low power consumption is a priority.

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:29 am

I'm thinking lower power consumption should be good for attempting reduced heat operation.

Case change>> I can get the Antec 900 gaming case for $92.40 locally. Put a couple spcr recommended 120mm fans in it and it should be reasonably quiet.

From what I read those p45 boards seem to give less knowledgeable builders trouble in the memory department. Most seem to only support DDR3 which I'm trying to stay away from. I think a solid ddr2 800 or 6400 2x2gb dual channel kit would be perfect and not too pricey.

Today will be the day of motherboard research.

Holy-Fire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Holy-Fire » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:32 am

Take a look at SPCR's Recommended PSUs. The Enermax Modu82+ 625W and the Corsair HX520W are quiet, power efficient and modular. I am very satisfied with my Corsair HX620W - the cables it comes with suit my purposes and I can't hear it (though my hearing might be less sensitive than others').

I agree regarding the 2x2GB DDR2 800 MT/s. If you can find a good deal on one that has CL4 that's even better, but far from necessary.
gopherbob wrote:the small SCSI ultra160 drives are very cheap on ebay, I just don't know about the noise and heat output
If you don't know for sure it's quiet, you should assume it's noisy, and it will probably be your primary noise source in the system. You should go for something that was tested by SPCR.
Vicotnik wrote:I would go for a VelociRaptor or a small SSD...
These might not satisfy the reasonable price criterion.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:03 pm

gopherbob wrote:From what I read those p45 boards seem to give less knowledgeable builders trouble in the memory department. Most seem to only support DDR3 which I'm trying to stay away from.
I have seen more P45 motherboards with DDR2 support than DDR3 support and, of course, some motherboards have support for both. In most P45-vs-P35 reviews I've read the two doesn't really differ much in performance or power consumption (actually, the P35 has a lower TDP), in general the P35 motherboards are cheaper so it might be a better buy.

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:45 am

DVD-R = ASUS 20X DVD±R SATA Model DRW-2014S1T (I'm guessing this is the drive that is used in the SPCR 22dba model)

With the PSUs I've been reading the SPCR recommended and will probably either get one directly recommended or use it as a guide to know which brands/series are quality and quiet. This PSU popped up with a combo deal with a motherboard I have been considering... CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX.

Seasonic makes these right? I should be pretty safe with something like that. "Not noisy" is more important to me than "silent". And I think the extra power of the 750w would be good if I went SLI in the future? And I'm sure I will get a blu-ray burner when those become more reasonable in price. Throw in 3 hard drives and 750 seems about right?

The p35's are in my price range and I have been considering one of those as well. Currently the top considered motherboard is... EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 750i SLI. Not going to be using SLI but I like having that option. And I can always use the second x16 pci-express slot for that fancy scsi card as it can work in both that and pci.

That motherboard and power supply come out to $279.99 in the combo package which seems quite reasonable.

asus p35 w/wifi (has two 16x pci-e ports but I'm not sure if it does SLI?)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131196

evga 750i sli (seems good, and has that nice looking ramp!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813188026

corsair 750tx psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139006

asus dvdr (seems pretty quiet)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827135168

--------------------Project Sub-Zero's Current Lineup for Reference---------------------
Intel dual core E8400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115037

WD Sata 320gb (I'll take a chance and hope its the SPCR recommended)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136074

mushkin XP 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (combo'ed with gfx I'm considering)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820146789

xfx 9600gt (they say stock fan extremely noisy so accelero probably good)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150306

accelero s2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835186017

antec 900 (already purchased, $90.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129021

After Project Sub-Zero is built and I heal from buying all the parts I'll probably try and optimize it for performance and silence. Some parts I've read about on the internets including SPCR include:

Heatsink - I'll see how the stock cooling is for awhile but its something I'm comfortable changing but I would like to see how everything fits in the case first before I buy one of those epic tower heatsinks.

HDD silencers - I don't want to buy any of those boxes. Since I'm looking for less noisy and cheap I was thinking something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817984001
I've seen other products of the same concept and much cheaper so I'm considering those... I'm more of the person that likes to do things right the first time and save the hassle of buying multiple products. Maybe I just need the noise isolatation strips? I need to go see how many 2.5 and 3.5 bays I have~!

120mm Scythe S-Flex (Probably 1200rpm since its cheaper unless someone says otherwise)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185005
I'll need to see(hear) the antec nine hundred's fans to see(hear) if I'll need to get three of these scythe 120mm.

I'll need to heal financially from buying the main components before touching any of the secondary components above. I'll have plenty of time to research them.

*I've used newegg in the past. How do http://www.frozencpu.com/ http://www.quietpcusa.com/ and http://www.endpcnoise.com/ in terms of price and customer service?*

SPCR has been a great resource in planning for Project Sub-Zero. Thanks SPCR! <<feels like a commercial but very true>> Hoping in the future they will add a "Recommended Accessories for Silence" guide.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:26 am

Why the 750W PSU? You would do fine with a 250W so even ~400W would be overkill. 750W is overkill almost to the point of insanity imho.

Holy-Fire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Holy-Fire » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:32 am

gopherbob wrote:And I think the extra power of the 750w would be good if I went SLI in the future? And I'm sure I will get a blu-ray burner when those become more reasonable in price. Throw in 3 hard drives and 750 seems about right?
Absolutely not. 9600GT consumes about 60W in load. Even if you put 2 (which isn't such a good idea, you're better off putting one better card) that's 120W. Hard drives are less than 10W each even when writing. Optical drives should be similar. Let's say 100W for the CPU and mobo, and we're still below 300W. Thus a good quality 520W PSU is more than enough (having the consumption about half of the rating is good for keeping the PSU cool, quiet and efficient).
gopherbob wrote:asus p35 w/wifi (has two 16x pci-e ports but I'm not sure if it does SLI?)
I'm fairly sure no P35 board supports SLI (but you shouldn't use it anyway, let alone choose a mobo because of it).
gopherbob wrote:xfx 9600gt (they say stock fan extremely noisy so accelero probably good)

accelero s2
Looks like a reference cooler, which shouldn't be noisy - so the accelero might not be needed (and I think S1 Rev2 is better).
gopherbob wrote:Heatsink - I'll see how the stock cooling is for awhile but its something I'm comfortable changing but I would like to see how everything fits in the case first before I buy one of those epic tower heatsinks.
A top-down cooler will also be good for your purposes.
gopherbob wrote:HDD silencers - I don't want to buy any of those boxes. Since I'm looking for less noisy and cheap I was thinking something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817984001
I've seen other products of the same concept and much cheaper so I'm considering those... I'm more of the person that likes to do things right the first time and save the hassle of buying multiple products. Maybe I just need the noise isolatation strips? I need to go see how many 2.5 and 3.5 bays I have~!
SPCR has some guides about reducing HDD-induced vibration. I can tell you right now that you have no 2.5 bays.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:34 am

Get 3x slipstream 800's on Antec 900. Combine that with Big Boy top cooler and you have nice airflow decently quiet. Big Boy is not quietest but it moves massive amount air and does that surprisingly quiet. My 900 is inaudiable 1 meter away in daytime noise. Only HDD's shapr seeks are audiable over low airflow hum provided by 2x Undervolted Scythe Slipstream 800+ Nexus + Antec BigBoy on low + Corsair PSU.

Currently single most noisiest component probably is my Nexus at 12v exhaust combined to Corsair HX 620W PSU. When I get my 3rd 800rpm slipstream as exhaust I am sure my Corsair will be noisiest part ( disregarding HDD seeks ) and then comming Big Boy. Current noise is air hum, which is quite pleasurable. Its only ruined by damn Seagates Sharp seeks...

P35 do support Sli in hardware level but nVidia drivers have made them impossible to use P35's in Sli. besides lower PCI-E Slot is 4x slot in P35's...

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:03 pm

That power supply info is good to know. I would be more than happy with a 500-600 watt and even happier paying less! I don't think I will ever go SLi to be honest... but I like to know that I could. I agree it would make more sense to just get a new card when the time comes.

They say the xfx alpha dog 9600gt's fan is smaller than the reference model and mentioned it was very loud in comparison. I can't remember which review I read it in but it made enough sense to convince me to take a look at after market cooling systems like the accelero (I think the accelero s1 is not compatible with the 9600gt). On top of that a review of Inno3Ds iChill 9600gt w/ Zerotherm Hurricane had such a great temperature range that I wonder about just putting a zerotherm hurricane on it.

Those slip streams... from my readings it seems the 1200rpm S-flex is better suited for case fans (Something about static pressure?). I also figured that the slip stream or temp controlled scythe 120 would be better suited for the heatsink? I've so much about so many different products I might have these reversed though.

By the way... all the responses are helping a lot. Thanks. It's been about 5-6 years since I put together my current computer and my product knowledge has grown thin since. I'm planning on using the new computer for the next 5-6 years as well so 64bit drivers are also a concern.

*Oh, to come up with my PSU number I throw in all the items that will be in the computer... some of which I havn't mentioned due to them already purchased and or/old and then throw on a 8800gtx or something power hungry and thermaltakes PSU calculator tells me 639watts. In my mind getting a 700watt makes sense?*

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:42 pm

Don't overlook the Asus silent 9600GT.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:01 pm

My system uses the Antec 900 case with four Slipstream 800 fans - two front, one rear, and one on the TRUE that's mounted on my CPU. Combined with the 200mm big boy, here are the following temps at load:

Intel Q6700, 2.66GHz, 1.128V - 39-39-34-38
EVGA 8800GT (675/2000) w/ Accelero S1 (passive) - 55C
EVGA 8600GT (576/1500) w/ Accelero S2 (passive) - 57C

I have a feeling that the Accelero S2 installation isn't quite right, since I was getting considerably lower temperatures with a passive HR-03 when I had it on there (removed for space purposes).

I chose the slipstream fans because they move plenty of air, and I don't need to fuss with Q-Fan or SpeedFan or Fanmates.

For a good quality, low power video card, the 9600GT is very nice. Add an Accelero S1 to that, and you'll get a video card that can run completely passively, and you'll likely never have to worry about GPU temperatures.

For the record (when it comes to real world power consumption), my system (Specs in sig and above) draws less than 300W AC. From the Corsair HX520 efficiency charts that we measured, this puts it at about 250W DC load. There is absolutely no need for a 700+ W PSU in any system that's looking to be quiet/silent.

Holy-Fire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Holy-Fire » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:20 am

gopherbob wrote:*Oh, to come up with my PSU number I throw in all the items that will be in the computer... some of which I havn't mentioned due to them already purchased and or/old and then throw on a 8800gtx or something power hungry and thermaltakes PSU calculator tells me 639watts. In my mind getting a 700watt makes sense?*
Low-quality PSU manufacturers like ThermalTake tend to inflate their power ratings, so a ThermalTake 640W might be equivalent to a lower-rated quality PSU. They may also have provided an excessive margin in the name of ensuring stability and efficiency.

Corsair has a PSU calculator which might give you more sensible results. Like I said before, having some margin is a good thing, and Corsair have undoubtedly taken it into account - so there's no need to add your own margin above and beyond their suggestion (unless you plan on adding hungry components or seriously overclocking).

Don't forget that being SPCR-reviewed quiet and having modular cables are significant advantages.

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:59 pm

hmm might have to check the slip streams out.

i've heard modular cables are primarily for marketing and add extra resistance or something. i would be interested in finding a decent quality psu with modular cabling.

Holy-Fire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Holy-Fire » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:05 am

Modular cables do add some resistance, but I'm sure it's a negligible amount and not anything to worry about.

It's up to you to decide whether you want your case to be stuffed with cables you don't need, or clean & tidy with only those that you do.

I have already suggested two excellent PSUs with modular cables, Enermax Modu82+ 625W and Corsair HX520W.

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:20 pm

ENERMAX MODU82+ EMD625AWT 625W - 179.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W - 114.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W - 119.99 (and free 8gb flash drive!)

Price so close on those two corsairs.... but after reading this comment made by some guy named macadami on neweggs site I really don't know anymore.
Other Thoughts: I take this seriously. Very seriously. The room is white, high-ceilinged, interrupted by curves of steel equipment here and there. I am wearing safety goggles and my boots are lined with plastic bags. There is a multimeter to my left, a glass of water to my right, and beneath my chair a syringe filled with hydrocortisone. In front of me sits a test bed of parts all powered by the corsair 520hx. The powersupply is quiet, sturdy, a clean low gloss black paint covers it that somehow communicates both depth and solidity. I slowly reach towards the ignition button, hesitating every so slightly before engaging. One FX-60 fitted on an A8N32 being cooled by a Monsoon II TEC start it's whirring beeping routine. The 21"" Monitor clicks on as the 8800gts's fan finesses air over it's hidden heatsink. Four sata drives react with vigor as they are ordered to life. The dangerous part is over. I checked the watts being fed, 517, the PSU scoffed in disgust as it's internal temp was only 103f.
Ha but seriously, looks good. the clean look of the modular cabling is very nice.

Cryoburner

Post by Cryoburner » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:20 pm

That's a great review. : )

I would say a power supply rated for 750 watts is overkill, but at that price, it's only $5 more than the the 520, and the free $21 flash drive means that its price could actually be considered less. There's also the 650TX, which costs $10 less than the 750, but lacks the free flash drive. Aside from the modular cabling, I don't see any real advantage to going with the 520.

Modular PSUs might look a little nicer in a windowed case, and they might be a little easier to work with, but spare wires can always be bound together and stowed above the optical drives, or behind the motherboard panel in the P182.

Holy-Fire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Holy-Fire » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:10 am

If we decide to give up on modular, let's not forget the Corsair 450VX, 75$ on newegg. It should be enough for the OP's purposes (remember, it will be better than higher-rated PSUs of poor quality), but perhaps offer less room for future upgrades.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:03 am

Gopherbob: Yeah, S-flexes have better pressure than slipstreams but Slipstreams are excellent case fans which do not need pressure in 900. After all 900 doesn't have dist filters and front is mesh.

However you're correct about S-flex on heatsink. I have TR SI-128 SE wtih Scythe S-flex 1200 rpm in mobo control. This is simply because S-flex is superior in slipstream against tight finned heatsinks like SI-128 series or TRUE. If you wider finspace cooler like Ninja, HR-01/+ or Xigmatek HDT-S1283 slipstream is enough.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:29 pm

gopherbob wrote: Adaptec 39160 32/64bit SCSI controller(just for messing around and I might get a cheap 4-9gb enterprise class hard drive and use as a dedicated windows page file) << the small SCSI ultra160 drives are very cheap on ebay, I just don't know about the noise and heat output
For i/o speed scsi is still pretty good. But in the past few years SATA is quickly catching up and passing them.

Ive run scsi drives on my PC for the past 15 years. and 3 things have become aparent.

1) spendy
2) active cooling is required (otherwise you windup with an expensive paperweight)
3) not very quiet.

So I highly reccomend you do not put a scsi drive into any kind of a sealed enclosure. It will eventually cook itself.

Also, the smaller "cheap" drives typically have very noisy seeks. I want to hear my HDs seek so i know when they are doing something but my 18gb maxtor atlas III drive, for the os is NOISY when doing seeks.

One good point - they are reilable as all getout. I have 5 scsi drives spread across 2 systems. All of them are more than 3yrs old. with the oldest approaching the end of its 5year manufactures warranty. My desktop is on 24/7 and my file server is on most of the time when the weather permits - so this is not light duty stuff.

A while back the system drive on my file server quit. but I could not get any warranty because the drive was already 6years old -- and I got it brand new.

Now you can still beat the sata performance with current generation 15krpm SAS drives but the cooling required for those may negate any attempts at making your system quiet.

If I had things to do over today - I would get 3-4 of the new WD Velociraptor drives. ive heard many reports of how fast they are.

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:29 pm

Yea I originally got that card to support a $3 5.25in magneto optical drive I bought. The good news is it forced me to do some scsi research the bad news is when I got the $3 drive it was really worth $0 since they misinformed me of its connection type. It looks to be ESDI or something like that.

I think what I'll end up doing is grabbing one of those fujitsu 1.3gb 3.5in MO drives from ebay. They pop up pretty cheap on ebay and would be more or less comical to have in the case. I've wanted to mess around with a magneto optical drive since i saw that scene in mission impossible where he dropped into that room with the fancy government computer and saved the data on what looked like a sony mini disc... I've always assumed it was a 3.5in MO disc.

So it looks like slipstreams are just fine for the 900 and I should just make sure I match the intake fans pressure with the output pressure (or get it decently close). That seems like it would give me the most optimal cooling.

I would love to have a modular power supply. When I put my current one together there was only 1 available on newegg. It was extremely pricey if I remember correctly it was around $400-500!

Phase I - Project Sub-Zero
Get psu... probably that modular corsair
Get processor... E8400, since no one has said anything bad about it!
Get memory... I'm going to grab 4gb(2x2) probably of that Mushkin ddr2 800 (canvas mobo below supports up to ddr2800 even though I'll probably get a board that supports more in Phase III.

Antec 900 with a clearance Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD($33 hope it works!) is already installed. I'll just get the needed pieces to make the thing work and use old hdd and dvdr. The abit was really cheap and allows me to start getting other pieces without having that fancier one decided on. Who knows I may like it... built in vga and hdmi.

http://www.acousticpc.com/abit_fatality ... board.html

Phase II - After I heal financially from paying for fall classes
decent sata hdd (nothing too exciting there)
grab a quiet dvdr (probably either asus or samsung)
most likely grab that 9600gt

Phase III - optimization
case fans - slipstreams etc
aftermarket cooler for 9600gt if needed for noise/cooling
motherboard, probably that evga 750i (unless I love this abit for some reason)

Thanks for everyone's help. I have a much better plan now. Put into phases makes it sound like it will take a long time. It should be done sometime in October.

Holy-Fire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Holy-Fire » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:47 am

gopherbob wrote: Get processor... E8400, since no one has said anything bad about it!
This is indeed a good CPU. One extra thing - try to get one with E0 stepping (SLB9J) if possible.

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:50 am

Going to look up zero stepping now! These are the things I need to know. thanks.

update*well there seems to be no disadvantage to gettting the E0 version. I don't know if I'll be messing with clock speed though. At least through newegg it doesn't seem to let me know which version it is. Is there a site that guarentees version?*

Holy-Fire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Holy-Fire » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:52 am

My guess is that places like Newegg have a stock of the old stepping (C0) which they will try to get rid of before shipping the E0. If you add a comment that your prefer the E0, and they have those in stock, and they're feeling generous, they just might send you one.

Of course, if you happen to purchase it in a physical store, you can obtain the information from the box (though you'll have to know what to look for; I think the sSpec number, SLB9J, will appear at the end of the "product code").

None of this is really important, though. If finding the newer stepping gives you any trouble, just ignore it.

gopherbob

Post by gopherbob » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Well about %90 of project sub-zero has been ordered. Here is the current hardware list.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115037

Thermalright 775 Retention Bracket << let me know if this was a waste
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556031215.html

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835186020

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 << got for $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835233003

Gigabyte Motherboard (package deal with e8400)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128337

Asus dvd-r (package deal with corsair PSU)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827135156

Corsair Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139001

S-Flex 800rpm X 3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185004

Kaze Master 5.25 fan thingy << looks cool?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811998038

Antec Nine Hundred case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129021

Other stuff that doesn't really need a link. Got a nexus prolong (one of those things that make the fans run after pc is shut down), nexus anti-vibration kit, discounted blue aluminum thumbscrews for the pci slots, a few green led light things and a string of green EL wire to play around with.

Pretty much hit everything except graphics card and memory. Both of which I've been still considering. Anyone have any memory brand favorites? Or are corsair, g.skill, mushkin, etc all good quality and really I should just worry about price? I would be aiming for DDR2 800 or DDR2 1066 in those 4gb(2x2) sets.

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:46 am

Hi there

I'm also looking for a good, quiet and lower-power-using GPU. I love the look of this and it has great reviews:

(see next post - I need to have one post before posting links).

I would definitely get one myself but alas it will not fit in my case. Damn shame. Anyhow, check it out and see what you think.

I'm still looking for myself and may well post my own queries which may not be too disimilar to yours in many ways. So keep your eyes open.

Good luck

Max

Max Dread

Post by Max Dread » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:47 am

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:04 am