Nice new big S-IPS monitor, too noisy!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LongJan

Nice new big S-IPS monitor, too noisy!

Post by LongJan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:22 am

Perhaps, this is out of topic, but the last weeks, I have been listening to several very noisy monitors.

I had other use for my four years old Dell 2005FPW (with a very nice S-IPS panel), so I started looking around for something slightly larger.
Because TN-panels with their limited viewing angles were no option, it wasn't so many to choose from.

LG W2600HP-BF with S-IPS panel -- I thought, I had found the perfect monitor in that one.

The best panel type, good looking, 26 inches, almost none input lag, not very expensive. Too good to be true?
Yes it was! Damn LG :evil:. They have equipped that thing with a very noisy circuit for regulation of brightness.
At all settings, other than 100% it was both buzzing and whining, rather annoying. Nothing else to do than send it back.

Note, LG W2600HP-PF that is listed in US and Canada uses a TN-panel.

Dell 2408WFP with S-PVA panel -- I ordered this one in stead and I am very pleased.

Clean and matte finish. Non glossy panel and bezel. Decent viewing angles.
However, moving my head horizontally, I can notice some color shiftings, that I did not on the old Dell.

It's not completely silent. I can sometimes hear a very weak buzz from 10-20 cm away, before the monitor is warmed up.

I am just an amateur, but as far as I can tell, the colors are fine. A couple of quotes from Anandtech:
Yes, that's right: without hardware calibration, the Dell 2408WFP can surpass many other LCDs with hardware calibration.
Simply put the colors and color accuracy of the Dell 2408WFP absolutely blew us away.

Yes, I know about the stated input lag, so I started Crysis and killed some enemies. Couldn't notice any lag.
I also did some calulations. Crysis is running at 40 FPS. Three frames lag then, means less than one tenth of a second.
I am not that fast, so I don't mind.

PS:
I just noticed that Dell has lowered the price for their 27 inches 2709W with $200.
In Sweden, the LG is now almost as cheap as many 24 inches monitors with TN-panels. Sales-war?
However, after comparing 26 and 24 inches monitors I think I prefer the latter, it looks a bit more sharp.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:18 pm

Planar PX2611w ??

thats what I have. I have not noticed any whine.

sick monitor! Less than 1 frame of input lag (which means 0 in everyone's book) and it is sick clear and fantastic for gaming. I enjoy movies and tv on it too :) I run everything through the computer though, so no switches or boxes or hdm-dvi connectors tested with it yet.

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:41 pm

That one looks nice. H-IPS panel?
Unfortunately, I have never seen it around here, there I live.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:52 am

May I direct you to www.prad.de ? They mention whether a monitor is noisy or not in their reviews.

The HP LP2475W is regarded to be fairly noiseless, or at least the little noise it makes is imperceptible under normal conditions.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:36 am

rpsgc wrote: The HP LP2475W is regarded to be fairly noiseless, or at least the little noise it makes is imperceptible under normal conditions.
I have one of those, and can confirm it's silent for all practical purposes.

If I have my ear within a few cm of the top ventilation slots, I can just hear a very faint buzzing, but that's not the way I normally use the monitor...

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:27 pm

I wouldn't trust Prad too much. I did read their review of the LG W2600HP-BF, before I ordered it and they wrote this about noise:
The 26-inch model does not function entirely silently: at maximum brightness, a slight buzzing and a humming tone can be heard at the back of the monitor. The volume of the (deep frequency) humming sound increases at brightness of between 10 and 90 audible from one to 50 cm distance from a silent or very quiet computer. Sensitive ears may perceive this as an annoyance.
Well, you don't need sensitive ears to be annoyed and it's noisy at ALL settings other than 100. Besides, they don't mention high frequencies whining. Of course, it can be sample variances.

I agree, the HP2475W seems to be a nice and cheap monitor. Perhaps, it's because of that, it has been out of stock, for a long period of time, in my shops.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:13 pm

LongJan wrote:That one looks nice. H-IPS panel?
Unfortunately, I have never seen it around here, there I live.
yes h-ips. it is fantastic.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:40 am

Supposedly my 3-4 year old Acer 20'' monitor is an S-IPS panel, never had any issues with noise, except the first power brick it came with buzzed and died, but the replacement is noise free.

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:10 pm

The same thing with my 3-4 years old 20" Dell with S-IPS panel. Totally silent, it doesn't even have any regulation of brightness, lowering RGB channels to 70% was enough to get a perfect picture.

I think the problem came with these extremely bright screens. They made it necessary to put in hardware circuits (like dimmers) in order to regulate that (mostly destructive) brigtness.

It seems to me that those dimmers often are of poor quality. I have lately been listening to several noisy monitors, from different manufacturers.

Aanea

Re: Nice new big S-IPS monitor, too noisy!

Post by Aanea » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:41 pm

LongJan wrote:Perhaps, this is out of topic, but the last weeks, I have been listening to several very noisy monitors.
Bad luck for you I guess, just received my 2600HP-BF from Dustin yesterday and its dead silent.

Went from a glorious 22" Diamondtron CRT 1600*1200 @100Hz, was worried that I would be disappointed but apart from one small area of back light bleed thats hardly noticeable I'm pleased by my entry into flat panel land so far.

Was also kinda worried that 26" WS wouldn't be big enough to make a difference compared to my old CRT, and maybe I should have ordered a 30" instead but that proved to be totally misplaced worrying ;)
Last edited by Aanea on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Really? If you turn down brightness?

Aanea

Post by Aanea » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm

LongJan wrote:Really? If you turn down brightness?
Yep, the screen is dead silent whether I have brightness @ 0 or 100.

kike_1974

Post by kike_1974 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:32 pm

I have a dell 2408WFP, as LongJan, and mine is not silent.

It is only silent if I set brightness above 70%. Otherwise it makes an annoying whine.

I've read in more forums that more people complain about this problem with this monitor.

Sorry for my poor English.

geester1

Post by geester1 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:05 am

I came across a company in the UK who make LCD enclosures, with accoustic foam to silence them - may be worth contacting them? If I remember right, they were reasonabley priced.