Quite Card for HTPC and Gaming at 1920x1200

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

timmyotule

Quite Card for HTPC and Gaming at 1920x1200

Post by timmyotule » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:55 am

I'm looking for a card to replace my 7900GT that I have in a Antec NSK2400 case.

The computer is used for streaming TV shows and watching OTA HD broadcasts on my projector and playing games at 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor. I don't play all the most current games out there but the 7900GT isn't cutting it any more at full resolution. I'd also like the HD decoding of the newer cards.

I'm trying to find the sweet spot between performance and heat (noise) output. I've been considering a 9600GT. A step up in performance seems to result in a jump in the heat output a step down and I'm worried about running my monitor at its native resolution.

Is this the right card or should I be looking at something else? Also, any recommendations for specific cards? Should I look for a passively cooled one and speed up my case fans if necessary? Or look for dual slot cooler that will vent out the back?

Thanks for the help.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:48 am

9600GT is good multimedia card, however doing gaming in that resolution may require slightly more uhmph, unless you want to take down most of the graphic goods.

NSK2400 is pretty small case, so that will probably give troubles for accelero.

HD 4670 might have been very good but its not good for that resolution like 9600 GT.

The HD 4830 might be very good alternative, as in SPCR review it showed pretty respectable numbers for its price. Its one of the best gaming cards for budget and has good multimedia properties. The stock fan in Idle is very quiet but might rise pretty annoying but it holds much better the temperatures than same HSF in HD 4850 ( better bios I think )

http://www.silentpcreview.com/ATI_HD_4830 has the review but you would need pretty much horse powers if you want to game on your native resolution with graphic goodies on...

However Ati drivers do allow now, when using the DVI to hit black bars sides and top when using none native resolution in gaming without stretching the picture in 4:3 format but also helping in your gaming by that you can reduce the games resolution and allow to turn more graphical goodies on.

I think nVidia has had that same property for while longer something called 1:1 pixel aspect or similar.

Thus 9600 GT might be very good choice but HD 4830 is very tempting too IMHO and gives more umph than 9600 GT does in gaming while its in same price category with 9600 GT / 9800 GT.

Oh, yes: Welcome to the SPCR!!
Last edited by thejamppa on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

QuietOC

Re: Quite Card for HTPC and Gaming at 1920x1200

Post by QuietOC » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:49 am

timmyotule wrote:I'm trying to find the sweet spot between performance and heat (noise) output. I've been considering a 9600GT....Or look for dual slot cooler that will vent out the back?
My $50 dual-slot 9600 GSO is fine at that resolution, and faster than a 9600GT when overclocked. Of course, It also requires more power. HD 4670 is much more efficient, but a little slower. A GTX 260 or HD 4830 are considerable better than a 9600GT. A HD 4850 should be the best choice but I haven't seen any reviews with its idle power as low as it should be (it should be similar to the HD 4830).

timmyotule

Post by timmyotule » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:37 pm

The 4830 does look pretty nice. It seems that some models aren't the nice low idle power consumption for some reason and of course it's the one with the handy HDMI port on the back :roll:

Thanks for the input. I'll look at these 4830 a little bit more and probably pull the trigger on one.