Club 3D HD 4850 stock fan won't slow down.

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pleb

Club 3D HD 4850 stock fan won't slow down.

Post by pleb » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:55 am

I've got a Club 3D 4850 in my new machine whose fan doesn't seem to do what CCC/Rivatuner tells it.

I'm using the latest (8.10 I think) drivers/CCC. As far as the software can tell me, the fan is at 50% speed at bootup.

If I change the fan speed in CCC it appears as if the change has taken effect and this change is reflected in Rivatuner and vice versa. However with my ear a couple of cm away from the card there is absolutely no audible difference going from 25% to 100% speed, and there is also no temperature change according to GPUz/Riva.

Has anyone encountered anything similar? I can't find any info on the manufacturer's site or anywhere else about the fan being non-adjustable.

The fan is quite loud at the moment, and is really the only thing audible (I've got a TriCool on Low and a Xigmatek 1283 with the stock PWM fan in a Sonata III case) according to my scientific stop-it-with-my-finger testing.

Has anyone any ideas as to anything further I can do to try to slow down the stock 4850 fan?

I'm thinking at this stage that an Accelero S1 with a 120mm Scythe 800rpm attached might be a decent solution, but I'm scared of the S1 installation process and if there is anything further I can try to slow down the stock fan I'd like to do that first.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:09 pm

I still have the stock cooler on my 4870. I discovered the only way to be sure the fan speed changes took effect was to hit "Test Your Settings" and then after they finish "Apply" and Ok.

Alternatively you can edit the Profile.xml file and set the speed manually.

pleb

Post by pleb » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:39 am

NyteOwl wrote:I still have the stock cooler on my 4870. I discovered the only way to be sure the fan speed changes took effect was to hit "Test Your Settings" and then after they finish "Apply" and Ok.

Alternatively you can edit the Profile.xml file and set the speed manually.
Tried that but no joy. I've tried the manual editing of the xml file already but didn't work either :(

pleb

Post by pleb » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:10 pm

Just got the Accelero in...and I now can't hear my computer at all :D