Thermalright HR-03 GTX & Silenx Noiseless GPU cooler Rev

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mattyc

Thermalright HR-03 GTX & Silenx Noiseless GPU cooler Rev

Post by mattyc » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:39 am

Not sure what i make of this review, i have been waiting for aftermarket coolers to be released as stock fan at 40% is too loud for me and anything lower causes to much heat.
The review isnt very promising, however doesnt look to thorough either.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6700 ... er/?page=1

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:12 pm

Is there a review of the HR-03 somewhere around here? I skimmed the review, both look reasonable to me. I saw the issue they had with cooling the voltage regulators. Would there be room to attach small heatsinks to the voltage regulators?

I have an 8800GT with the Arctic Cooling Accelero, or whatever they call it, and it works quite well. It incluedes small heatsinks for the memory ICs, I would imagine they could be placed on power components as well, providing there's enough clearance between the heatsink and component. Given the larger number of fins on these, I would imagine they would have better dissipation than the Accelero, but perhaps require more direct airflow.

Finally, it used to be traditional to bash SilenX around here, I don't know if it still is, but I never understood it. My understanding was they had a representative who would recommend their stuff in the forum without disclosing his employer. Not great, but not terrible, and compared to the rest of this industry, about par for the course.

LiquidRain

Post by LiquidRain » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:42 pm

If this is the rev 2 of the HT-03 GTX I've been waiting for, and if that test *is* thorough, that's not very promising indeed. :/

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:45 am

LiquidRain wrote:If this is the rev 2 of the HT-03 GTX I've been waiting for, and if that test *is* thorough, that's not very promising indeed. :/
Yeah i agree. I Think revision once was recalled due to overheating VRM's so this isnt a good sign. However, the review doesnt say which version they received.

LiquidRain

Post by LiquidRain » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:19 pm

mattyc wrote:Yeah i agree. I Think revision once was recalled due to overheating VRM's so this isnt a good sign. However, the review doesnt say which version they received.
From the review:
Although the cooler had been introduced in August already, it took three months before the device was available on the market. We have an overhauled version - often called revision 2 - of the HR-03 GTX for our tests.