passive cooled HD4870?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

akromatic

passive cooled HD4870?

Post by akromatic » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:22 am

Hi, I kinda grew tired of waiting for decent coolers for the GTX200 series cards so im thinking of a passive cooled HD4870 with accelero S1 in a SG03 case.

Is it plausible and has anyone tried it?

thanks

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:24 pm

No its not :-( I tried with mine when I first got it, the 4870 that is. For 2d its ok, but as soon as you start gaming the card will overheat very quickly and crash. I ended up getting a artic cooling twin turbo and it works perfect and its dead silent even with the 2 fans. My card idles at 42 and loads about 58

Aelek

Post by Aelek » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:27 am

not a chance mate.

Im running a sapphire 4870 1gb with S1. The airstream in the case is high (that is for a quiet computer).

I tinkered around with it last night (I reseated the core cooling on artic silver vs standard compound before and adjusted some of the heatsinks for the mem) It has 2 nexus 92mm mm (@1500?) strapped to the S1 blowing upward and an S-flex (1200 rpm) blowing front to back over AND under the card. Together its pushing 85 cubic fote a minute of air.

When pushing furmark at 1920x1200 8xmsaa I still reached 97 degrees core temp after 500 seconds (idle temp is about 37)
(and my experience is that @ 1920x1200 recent 3d games dont saty very much below that)

So probably you are better of with the twint turbo it seems.

(although i cant figure out why the difference with the s1 should be so big, i'm faitly shure overything is put together as it should be)

hope that helps ya

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:01 pm

It's not just the airflow volume but its path. It is possible that by blowing air horizontally below the card, and hence below the S1 and it's fans, you are starwing the two Nexus of some of that airflow which effectively reduces the air the push through the S1.

Out of curiousity, what happens to the temps if you reverse the Nexus and PULL the air through the S1, exhausting it out the bottom to be added to the lower case fan airflow?

Aelek

Post by Aelek » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:37 am

I have thought about that and tried testing it by inserting some paper in various locations around fan and card and watching how it reacted.

Visually I saw no difference.

Mesuring I found that It at least provides some benefit because it took about 1/3 longer to reach 97 degrees.

I havent tried reversing the nexuses so far. I'll post back when I do.

Aelek

akromatic

Post by akromatic » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:57 am

im thinking with a 120mm fan just inches away from the card should give me enough air flow to cool the card

the twin turbo might be a bit too loud for my liking (anyone know how loud it is at around 30cm away from the case?)

ultimately i'd like my system to be as silent as possible and reducing the amount of fans in it, preferably just the PSU fan ontop of the NT06 cooler and 2x 1200rpm slipstreams

antivenom

Post by antivenom » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:24 am

I have a Twin Turbo installed on my 9800GT and personally I think it's excellent. I can only hear the fans at about 1500rpm fan speed (used RivaTuner).

I haven't actually monitored the fan speed while playing games but I don't notice it at all, although I'm not as silence demanding as some of the other people here.

No idea about 30cm away though, is this how far your computer is from you then?

nafets

Post by nafets » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:06 pm

With the HD4870 you have two issues to deal with regarding cooling:

1. The GPU core. This is easily cooled during idle and load (gaming) with aftermarket coolers like the S1, HR-03GT, and other newer coolers. A low speed 120mm/140 fan is more than enough.

2. The VRMs. This is the killer. Most reference HD4870s have a 3+2 phase (GPU+Memory) digital VRM system for the GPU that is the real problem in keeping cool. Using aftermarket coolers mentioned above along with some form of miniscule heatsink on VRM area results in VRM temps well in excess of 100C, and higher, during extreme usage like heavy benchmarking or gaming. Even with a high speed fan right over the VRMs you will have a tough time keeping their temperature in check, and would easily lose any quietness from using the aftermarket coolers.

A properly tuned reference stock cooler is most effective in cooling the VRMs, as the heat from them is distributed over a large surface area metal plate covering the majority of the card and is more easily cooled.

For any kind of chance at passive or semi-passive cooling you'd need to look at any of the newer 4+2 phase digital VRM reference designs (Powercolor PCS+) or non-reference designs that use a 4+2 phase non-digital VRM design (Asus EAH 4870 D5). Instead of the heat being distributed over 3 GPU phases, it's spread over an additional GPU phase which allows for more effective cooling, and usually lower temps.

You'd have much greater luck with passive cooling using either an HD4830 or HD4850 as they have lower power requirements and much less complex GPU/Memory power circuitry compared to the HD4870.

tetyl

Post by tetyl » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:21 am

Hi nafets,

Is this the card you're referring to?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121291

And if so, the non-standard cooling on that already has me a little confused. Do you think it'd work to remove the Asus Fan/HS and add an Accelero S1 plus some RAM sinks (the RAM seems to be exposed the way its set up)? It looks like the PWM already has a separate heat sink on it.

Would that be pushing the envelope on heat? Would a Twin Turbo module make it much more workable?

akromatic

Post by akromatic » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:45 pm

well its true that cooling a HD4850 is much easier but it doesnt fit my graphics requirements

the CPU is right next to the monitor which also means its close to my head and the noisy fans are kinda killing me(hard drives are bad enough)

well im not sure about the 3+2phase or 4+2 phase power, it all depends on availability based on the local comp shops but i do intend to use the stock heat spreader(rams and VRMs) together with a S1, well since the vrms are at the back of the card,im thinking that the front intake fans which is only an inch or so away from the card should be good enough