Radeon 4850 memory temps?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

FaxData

Radeon 4850 memory temps?

Post by FaxData » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:33 pm

First off, hi everyone, I too am a long-time lurker! :lol:

I have a question I couldn't find an answer for by the search, for those of you running an the radeon 4850 passively (or not), what are your memory temps?

I have an MSI R4850 (newegg N82E16814127401, sorry can't post link) which I ended up putting an accelero s1 rv2 on, in an antec solo with stock tri-cool fan set at low and the temp seems to run about 50c idle and 68c loaded, which is ok (although other people were boasting 38c idle?!). The memory, however, runs 64c idle and was topping 85c on load, which seems excessively high to me.

MSI's model comes with this heatspreader plate on the memory--it makes contact with the chips via this silvery stuff, which if it's the same as the main heatsink then it comes right off, so it's not a paste/glue. I would like to leave it on there, since I'm not sure the heatsinks in the s1 package will be necessarily better. Unfortunately, I was not smart and did not take down temperature measurements prior to attaching the s1, and more importantly, I have no idea what gain I would get from attaching the s1-included sinks.

For the record, I am not getting any freezing/artifacts, but I can't seem to run ATITool so this is just from me playing left4dead on single player until the temps stabilize.

Thanks for any help. :D

nafets

Post by nafets » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:10 am

There is no monitoring of the actual memory chip temperatures for an HD4850.

The temperature you're most likely referring to (MEMIO), is actually a specific section of the RV770 GPU core, and is usually the hottest of the three. This is normal.

There is no need to worry yourself about the temperature of the GDDR3 memory chips on the HD4850...

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:11 am

Hi welcome to the SPCR!

Just to clarify things: you have Antec Tri-Cool on your case and Accelero S1 rev 2 you have on HD 4850 has no fan?

FaxData

Post by FaxData » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:51 am

thanks for the quick replies!

yes, an antec solo with a 120mm antec tri-cool fan at low setting, and an accelero s1 rev 2 on the 4850 with no fan.

and yes, I was referring to the MEMIO readings. Oops. I had no idea that was just a part of the core. So I guess then that the only way I would know is stability during use?

so far so good, I guess; as I said, I haven't been able to induce gpu lockup yet. Although after putting the accelero on, I can now hear the case fan, the cpu fan (xigmatek fan that came with the s1283) and the hard drive (my old seagate barracuda 7200.10). sigh...

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:33 am

Hi FaxData!

Don't know about specific temps (although for a moment there reading your post I thought I'd been wrong about not getting mem temp readings from my 4850) but I can say that the S1 RAMsinks on mine get very hot indeed - too hot to touch - and it has always been stable (inc. FurMark etc.)

Dr Prozac

Post by Dr Prozac » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:33 am

If you want to really heat up your card you should use Furmark. Remember to rename it's exe file though ;)

FaxData

Post by FaxData » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:41 pm

cool, thanks for the replies. I'll have to give furmark a try!

SpeedEuphoria

Post by SpeedEuphoria » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:13 am

For idle you can lower the mem speed and core speed/voltage to save power and run cooler.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 am

SpeedEuphoria wrote:For idle you can lower the mem speed and core speed/voltage to save power and run cooler.
How do you lower the mem speed and core speed/voltage for idle?

czesiu

hd4850 memio memory i/o high temperatures accelero s1 rev2

Post by czesiu » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:52 am

Stephen wrote:
SpeedEuphoria wrote:For idle you can lower the mem speed and core speed/voltage to save power and run cooler.
How do you lower the mem speed and core speed/voltage for idle?
check the values in catalyst control center or other program ; they are probably already lowered by the drivers when in 2D mode

About MEMIO temperatures.
I had a similar problem with high memio temps after accelero s1 installation and I think I can recommend one thing to try: remove the big plastic PCB-radiator spacers.
I have no idea what they are for (would be happy if someone told us:) but memio temps of my card dropped ~30 degrees.

edit: accelero s1 with turbo module (second image); with turbo module or 92mm fan (first image)

Before:

After

The test is not 100% precise - there were some changes in case/card cooling.

PS.
1. remember to check if radiators on memory chips do not touch the heat pipes.