Quiet card for work/gaming PC

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rokk

Quiet card for work/gaming PC

Post by rokk » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:23 am

Hi, I'm newly registered on the forums but have been following SPCR for quite some time and been into quiet/silent computing for a while as well. I 'recently' upgraded my system and due to changes in circumstances also have my computer a lot closer to my work and sleep position than before. So now I can hear my 9800GTX+'s fan ticking in idle when i work and sleep, so I need a new graphics card or a really good and compact/silent cooling soloution.

Asus P5E G35 mATX Board
Intel E8500 @ 3.8Ghz with Xigma 1284 with 500rpm Scythe Kaze-Maru
4x2GB of DDR2 PC6400
Suspended 1TB Samsung F2 5400rpm HDD (SSD or laptopdrive is on the way soon<tm>)
Mini P180 w/ 550 rpm Scythe Slip Stream for exhaust and 200mm @ 230rpm and added Dustfilter.
Corsair TX 650W

I tried to change to a Twin turbo on another of my cards but it had odd whining/whirring noise added to the fan that was contant no matter fanspeed. The S1 is the next choice for cooling but It's too big to actually fit a fan in my case and cooling for VRM/memory will suffer as well right? Don't really feel like voiding the warranty more than I have to.

Cards on my list:

Sapphire HD4870 Toxic (with Vapor-X and heatpipes) anybody has any experiences with this card?

Gigabyte HD4850 Passive, good card but almost as expensive as the one above and almost no performance increase over my 9800GTX+.

Gigabyte 9800GT Silent Cell 1GB, even slower than my 9800GTX+ but it's an Nvidia and passive.

Thanks in advance and I hope I did not miss anything, I would prefer an Nvidiacard due to CUDA however but it's not a must.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:57 am

Your best bet is to probably just replace the fans on the twin turbo and stick that on the 9800GTX+. There is no reason to spent another ~$100-$150 on a graphics card. The biggest problem you will run into is that you are looking at cards that can use ~100w and there is no easy and quiet way to cool them. IIRC SpeedFan can read nVidia card temperature so you can hook up the fan(s) to a controlled fan header on your motherboard if you card doesn't have thermostatic fan control (though I am pretty sure it does). If the fan is still too fast at idle, toss in a resistor or backwards zener diode.

rokk

Post by rokk » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:17 am

Thank you for your response.

Been thinking about it, but the warranty is going to be void and also the problem with fitting normal fans to the TwinTurbo due to that they will more or less rest against the chassis floor. I actually have a decently quiet card (with the twinturbo) in my girlfriends rig, but it makes electrical noises under load instead... It's always something.

Is the TwinTurbo even supposed to have the wierd fan noise, it sounds like bad bearings, or do did I get a bad one? I'm happy enough if it's silent in idle when I'm not playing games since the sounds from the games will drown most of the noise from the card.

Would still like advise on the Toxic and the TwinTurbo's Noise. :)

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:57 am

Hi, I thought the "twin turbo" was the fan module that fit on to the Accelero S1/S2, or is it a S1 with the fans already fitted? Either way if the S1 is too big I suspect the "twin turbo" will be too.
SPCR have reviewed the S2 + Turbo Module.
Also reviewed the S1.
If the Accelero S1 is too big you might consider the zalman VF1000. It list s the GTX9800+ as compatible and should fit in narrower cases than the the S1 or S2.
You might also look at the Xigmatek Battle-Axe or some of ThermalRight's designs, the "wrap-around" nature of the HR-03s may or may not work for you.
Regards, Seb

rokk

Post by rokk » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:07 am

Ah, no.
The TwinTurbo is like a smaller S1 with 2 slim fans in a shroud. It's kind of like the Battle-Axe, I would prefer not to change the cooling due to the process warranty-voiding nature. (I've already had 3 G92's dying on me).

The HR-03 will collide with the soundcard, so that's a no go. Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I'll try to RMA the TwinTurbo and hope next one is better.

EDIT: I can finally post URLs!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_j2M-JNOFako/S ... 00/84a.jpg

RaptorX

Post by RaptorX » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:28 am

Get a Sapphire Vapor-X. The HD4850 version will suit you fine. I own it and all I can say is that you won't hear it with the fan on auto. Temps are great too... 42C in idle and 66C in FurMark maximum stress test @ 28-29C ambient temp.