GPU Fan LOUD without driver

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

srynznfyra

GPU Fan LOUD without driver

Post by srynznfyra » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 am

Hi
My graphics card (Palit 9800 GT) is very very loud at bootup before the OS loads the graphics driver. I was wondering if there was a hardware (or low level software, eg BIOS) way of forcing it to put the speed at like 30% or so at bootup, and then pass control to the driver once it loads? I haven't noticed any obvious fan control on my graphics card.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:44 am

The behaviour you're observing is entirely normal. As you say until Windows kicks in the BIOS on the graphics card is in control, and it is set to run the fan at at a high level, sometimes 100%. I guess the manufacturers adopt this approach because it guarantees that the fan starts, whereas at 40% or 30% settings that might not always be the case.

The two options are (a) edit the graphics card BIOS using something like NiBiTor or (b) replace the graphics card cooler and fan with an aftermarket quieter alternative such as the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 9800.

srynznfyra

Post by srynznfyra » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:56 am

lodestar wrote:The behaviour you're observing is entirely normal. As you say until Windows kicks in the BIOS on the graphics card is in control, and it is set to run the fan at at a high level, sometimes 100%. I guess the manufacturers adopt this approach because it guarantees that the fan starts, whereas at 40% or 30% settings that might not always be the case.

The two options are (a) edit the graphics card BIOS using something like NiBiTor or (b) replace the graphics card cooler and fan with an aftermarket quieter alternative such as the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 9800.
OK, I'll try option (a). The reason I'd like to 'fix' this is because I reboot lots of times as I dual boot windows and Linux, and the sound is literally painful when it's on 100%.

As for option b I already have some sort of aftermarket cooler, well it came with one, it's a palit card. It's a huge copper flower type cooler, looks much better than the single slot nvidia cooler. I don't need liquid cooling, which I assume would be the next step in GPU cooling.

baconandeggs

Post by baconandeggs » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:47 am

Have you heard of RivaTuner? (google). It has a setting for low level fan control.

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:42 am

baconandeggs wrote:Have you heard of RivaTuner? (google). It has a setting for low level fan control.
It's a driver based solution as well. Topic is about fan management BEFORE windows. How are you gonna run RivaTuner before even windows starts ?

srynznfyra

Post by srynznfyra » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:45 am

Yes I use rivatuner alot to o'c my graphics card, but as the previous poster said, rivatuner runs at the driver level ontop of windows even, so there is no way (other than defying nature's laws of existence of course 8)) of using that to lower the fan level before the graphics driver starts.

Next time, please read my post PROPERLY before replying.