Is Dell 2209WA a safe buy with regard to noise?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Is Dell 2209WA a safe buy with regard to noise?

Post by line » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:19 am

I consider picking up this monitor for an upcoming build (I might start a thread about it later). I saw it today on display, and did not notice any immediate deal breaker. I wasn't thrilled with the image quality, but I thought it was usable and not too bright with brightness at 0% and contrast at 75%.

I was wondering however if this model is susceptible to power supply hum/whine. Can someone fill me in? Please bear in mind I'm not going to be able to RMA it over this unless something is obviously broken.

It won't be used in a totally silent environment, so if the noise is faint and ignorable, I guess it won't be a problem.

plympton

Post by plympton » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Can you even get this monitor anymore? I figure there must have been some QA problem with it, since it was selling like hotcackes and then just disappeared (lots of refurbs were available for a short while).

-Dan

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:02 pm

My wife's 2209WA makes no noise that she (or I) have noticed. But, I don't know if that's true for all of these monitors (sample variance). I haven't run across any threads with people complaining of such noise. Also, as plympton says, Dell isn't selling them any longer in the US. I don't know if you can find them elsewhere.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:02 pm

Yes, I can get it locally. The rep I spoke with expects stocks to be depleted within 2 months but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens earlier. I've never heard of a QA problem with it, I thought it was more about limited panel supply.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:07 pm

@Dave

Thanks. I suppose the lack of user complaints says something, if we consider the large enthusiast 'user base'. Does your wife find it suitable for prolonged office work? That'd be the main use.

micksh

Post by micksh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Dell does sell them in US. Here is the link
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ ... &oc=2209WA
Of course, $279 is more expensive than it was before. Many bought it for $212. But still it's an excellent monitor for the money.

My 2209WA has zero noise.

There is a thread about it on hard forum. There are color profiles posted, they improve image quality.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1387587

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:26 am

My wife uses hers primarily for office work (that, and her games (stuff from BigFish -- nothing heavy)). Compared to my 20" NEC 20WMGX2:

- Very good image (but not as good as the NEC). The Dell seems to show a bit more grain. I don't know if that's a "screen door" effect or if it's just because the two monitors run at the same 1680x1050 resolution while the Dell is 2" bigger
- Better brightness. I find my NEC to be a bit too bright. The Dell seems to be just about perfect.
- Quieter. My NEC has a nasty periodic coil whine when it's in standby (my son's NEC doesn't). The Dell makes no noise.
- Hotter. The Dell seems to put out more heat than my NEC. But, then, my son's NEC also puts out more heat than mine.

In general, I'm very pleased with the 2209WA. If I needed to buy another monitor (and I could get one), I'd buy the Dell again. Supposedly, Dell is coming out with an equivalent 24" monitor (the U2410). But, that's not supposed to hit the US for another couple of months and I've seen no reviews of it.

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:41 am

micksh wrote:Dell does sell them in US. Here is the link
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ ... &oc=2209WA
Interesting. I followed that link and it is, indeed, live. Yet, if I go back to the main page (actually, the SHOP link on that page) and try to search for or browse to the monitor, it doesn't exist. The 2209W (no A) exists. But, not the 2209WA. I used to have the 2209WA's product page bookmarked, but it disappeared a couple of months back. Someone started a thread in their Community area about this:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19283170.aspx

The gist of that thread is that the panel manufacturer couldn't keep up with the demand. So, Dell stopped selling them (in the US).

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:03 am

Thanks everyone. I've placed an order for 2 monitors and will post my impressions after they arrive.

Speaking of the U2410, I also saw a brief mention of a U2710, and I look forward to hearing more details. To outline what I would consider a good all-arounder, that would be a 26 or 27 S-PVA panel at 1920x1200, because I like high contrast and bigger individual pixels. This is, of course, assuming all other bases are covered. Heck, if Eizo had a decent offering at this size, I might even consider it -- I did consider the S2431W at the time. It's incredible how this Japanese maker often gets it right on the first try.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:56 am

I have owned this monitor for around five months. It is a safe buy with regards to noise in my opinion. You may notice some humming or whining at very low ambient noise levels. At brightness of more than ~87 the noise disappears. I always have my monitor at low brightness of 8 or less because anything more is too bright for me. If I am watching a DVD or editing some photographs, I may turn the brightness up higher.

My general summary of the monitor:

+ Very good to excellent image quality for non-professional use.
+ Excellent viewing angles. Uses e-IPS panel (e for economy or ecological?). Easily better than TN.
+ Deep blacks and sharp text quality.
+ No problems associated with overdriven and wide gamut panels like 2408WFP.
+ Realistic and quite accurate specifications. Not overmarketed like many TN monitors which quote often dubious numbers.
+ Tactile buttons. Menu easy to use. Dynamic Contrast can be turned off.
+ Power LEDs (blue ON amber STANDBY) are subdued and not eye-piercing.
+ Fully adjustable stand: height, swivel, tilt, pivot to portrait mode.
+ Business style looks and design. Suitable for offices and home. Doesn't look like it was inspired by a table lamp ala Samsung.
+ Sturdy build quality. Especially the base and stand, which often lacks in monitors, even expensive ones.
+ 4 USB2.0 ports.
+ All necessary cables included.
+ 22" is large enough for office and desktop use (for me personally).
+ Dell 3 Year Premium Panel Guarantee.
+ Price. Very good value considering the overall quality.

- Requires hardware calibration for best performance (as with most monitors).
- Image quality may not meet the needs of imaging and multimedia semi/professionals.
- e-IPS panel not as good as standard IPS panel. Was done to keep the costs down and possibly drive sales for Dell in this segment of the market.
- 22" may not be enough space after a while for some people.
- 0.28 pixel pitch may not be sharp enough for some people.
- No 1:1 scaling.
- Lack of multimedia and newer digital connections e.g. HDMI, DisplayPort may disappoint some people.
- Menu buttons on the right side of bezel can be accidently pressed.
- Price. Higher than TN, especially for penny pinchers and rock bottom types. Premium was worth it in my opinion.
- Top of bezel gets warm, although not hot. May be due to the number of lamps in the monitor.
- Power consumption much higher than expected. Keeping brightness at minimal settings will avoid excessive power usage and heat output.
- Fluctuating prices. Dell's aggressive sales tactics (severe price drops and price hikes within days of each other). Mysterious unavailability or discontinuation.

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:02 am

I also own one of these and I can attest that it makes no noise in a very quiet room.

They did disappear for a while but it seems Dell brought them back. Magnificent screens.

czesiu

Post by czesiu » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:10 pm

Mine makes buzzing noise if brightness is below 100 and slight whine at all contrast settings (higher contrast -> louder whine)

both noises are very quiet

Review mentioning noise:
http://blog.szynalski.com/2009/05/01/re ... ll-2009wa/