Thermaltake ISGC-V320 vga cooler (GTX 275 etc)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Thermaltake ISGC-V320 vga cooler (GTX 275 etc)

Post by halcyon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:22 am

Another interesting mid-to-high end single gpu aftermarket cooler contender, even if it comes from Thermaltake:

Thermaltake ISGC-V320

Perfomance looks promising, but it is of course impossible to know until somebody with a decent acoustic setup test it with some of the known fans.

Review (no acoustics)
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=848&p=3

- 2 x 120 mm fans (hopefully can be replaced)
- comes with basic RAM / VRM heat sinks
- GTX 275/285 & HD4890 compatibility
- results in the vga card taking up 3 slots

aztec

Post by aztec » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:39 am

Good lord that thing is huge!

I'm sick and tired of the heat on my GTX275 though, and I've been thinking of the Accelero GTX280.

Though haven't fully confirmed it works on my card.

Will give this a look.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:25 am

Hi, in that pic the little RAM sink on the right is sitting on some chip, I think called HSI? Not sure what it does but given the 4 screw holes round it that help hold the stock heatsink down on it and the size of ThermalRight’s HSI heatsink I’d not be comfortable with a simple little RAM sink on it :?

I just took the stock cooler off my GTX260 and there are a lot of bits cooled by the stock cooler. As well as the HIS chip there’s another little something near it, 16 RAM chips, 12 VRMs (or what ever they are) and 2 more “cubesâ€

sddave

Post by sddave » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:06 am

@Seb: I see that you have a GTX260 card and you are experimenting with replacement coolers. Was there a trick to removing your stock GTX260 cooling hardware?
I am a total newb to such mods. I got an EVGA GTX260 card, plus a Thermalright HR-03 VGA fanless cooler. This may seem ridiculous to you, but I could not figure out how to remove the original cooler hardware!
I removed all the screws I could see, but the housing/fan assembly would not come off from the card. Is there some tip or trick to removal? Being new to this, I didn't want to force it off, for fear of breaking something, but perhaps that is the way it is done? Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Dave

akromatic

Post by akromatic » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:03 am

could you give me measurements of it installed on the GTX260 without fan?

ie height(thickness) + length

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:32 pm

I'm not sure an accoustic review is that critical - swapping the fans for some quiet 120mm isn't going to be a challenge. As the stock fans are 800rpm ot 1300rpm, I doubt they are that loud.

The two things I'm wondering are a) what sort of VRM temps does it achieve on an ATI 4870/4890 and b) what's it like passive.

Also, I think it's 4 slots - 3 slots for the heatsink + 1 for the card itself!

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:25 am

Hi, sorry for not posting back, I’d forgotten about this thread. :oops:
sddave, probably too late but, to get the stock cooler off I removed the all the larger screws with springs from the back of the card, about 10 of. Also remove 2 black screws from the DVI bracket that connect back in to the cooler as well. Once removed the screws just gently twisted the heatsink back and to brake the hold of the thermal paste and pads. Once loosened just gently pulled it off. I had several rounds of twisting and then pulling before it let go and came off. It does kind of have to be forced but not too much, if that makes any sense!
Try not to loose any of the 20 odd thermal pads off the ram chips, VRMs etc.

akromatic, the Akasa cooler is much less long than the card, it’s about the length of the 2x 80mm fans. Height wise it extends above the card by around 15-20mm. Thickness wise it takes up 2 slots in adition to the card itself. I.E. the cooler covers 2 slots and if you used large card in the next slot the fans would be right against it and not work very well.

You can see some pics in this thread. I have now got the card in my main rig and it is pretty quiet and the coil whine is mostly gone now too so I’m happy with the out come. The cost of all the heatsinks and then killing my previous PSU trying to stop it’s coil whine and then having to buy another, which fortunately doesn’t seam to have coil whine, is not so good.
Regards, Seb