What does Accelero S1 look like naked?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sonic6k

What does Accelero S1 look like naked?

Post by sonic6k » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:13 am

Hello!

In order to have psychological peace of mind, I just can't wait for my Accelero to come but I have two questions:

a) What's the purpose of the black plastic parts on Accelero where it also has the Arctic-Cooling logo and text "Accelero S1"?

b) Removing them seems like a very simple procedure... but I'm not sure of the outcome and whether I am able to put them back on... so how does a Accelero S1 look like naked?

THANK YOU MUCH!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:31 am

1. purpose is for the text. and help keep fins from bending when bumped.
2. really easy to remove, but you dont want to try and put them back on. its nearly impossible without bending the fins.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:40 am

xan_user wrote:1. purpose is for the text. and help keep fins from bending when bumped.
2. really easy to remove, but you dont want to try and put them back on. its nearly impossible without bending the fins.
That's what I thought on both points... but anyone done it yet? I reaaally want to know how it looks like :D

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:11 am

viewtopic.php?p=427035#427035

Thank you bonestonne!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:27 am

8)

if i saw this any sooner i would have posted the link.

to really answer your questions, the pieces have no purpose at all. It's 100% purely cosmetic, and they give no performance gain or loss whether they're on the card or not. taking the pieces off is very simple, just work slowly and carefully, as each piece just uses plastic tabs, and it's really the fins they attach to that you want to be careful with. also, you will have to loosen the mounting plate on the base to get that piece off.

my best guess however is that the way I have a fan mounted on my heatsink, having removed the plastic piece covering the base, I may be getting slightly better performance out of that.

While being specific to the 9600GT, this is a good thread about the Accelero S1, and also notes the differences with the S2.
viewtopic.php?t=47334&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:38 am

Actually I have one question more; how big is the Accelero actually? I mean I know the dimensions and seen some pictures, but in real life how much space does it occupy? I have an Antec SOLO, and I believe it'll fit fine, but that is not my real concern. A Scythe Kaze Maru 500rpm. I have one spare and don't really see a need for it other than to recycle it somehow (was used earlier for some experiment I forgot now). So will this Kaze Maru, being a 140mm fan, fit on the Accelero well?

Thanks much in advance!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:21 am

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/129/IMG_0826.JPG
^That's the most recent picture of my computer. You can see that with a fan, the Accelero blocks two PCI slots below the card, if you don't have a fan, it will completely block the slot directly underneath the card. While this isn't a huge deal, for some I'm sure it could be.

My case is a Cooler Master Elite 330, and I would say the Accelero comes to be just a little shorter than the Scythe Ninja. The Ninja is about 4mm away from the side panel of my case when closed, the Accelero is maybe 8mm at the most.

As you can see in my case, the heatsink extends to almost the hard drive cage, so I had to use a 90 degree SATA cable for that hard drive. While my case is full ATX, it is pretty small compared to many other full ATX cases (i find it almost similar in size to larger mATX cases I have). My case is (L)19.1 x (W)8 x (H)16.3 inches, so with all the hardware, nearly all of the components are a tight fit. The Solo is 17.5"(H) x 8.1"(W) x 18.5"(D), os you have more play room inside, so I would full expect that to work out.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:13 am

bonestonne wrote:http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/129/IMG_0826.JPG
^That's the most recent picture of my computer. You can see that with a fan, the Accelero blocks two PCI slots below the card, if you don't have a fan, it will completely block the slot directly underneath the card. While this isn't a huge deal, for some I'm sure it could be.
I've taken this into consideration way before I even knew the Acccelero existed! :lol:

My motherboard is the P5E Deluxe. Top to bottom it has the following connectors: PCIe x1, PCI, PCIe x16, PCIe x1, PCIe x1, PCIe x16, PCI.

Green colored connectors are thermally and physically safe in a configuration with an Accelero and a fan.
Red colored are physically blocked by the Accelero/fan.
Orange colored means the slot is better left unused not to limit the airflow coming to the Accelero.
The bold slot of course is where my 8800GT with the Accelero will be installed to.

EDIT: Here is a picture so you can visually understand better what I am explaining (notice the first PCIe x1 connector is of black color): http://pic.xfastest.com/sxs112/ASUS/P45 ... 165119.jpg

This leaves me with two PCI and one PCI-Express x1. Very good considering that I'll be upgrading to a better sound card and having my TV card currently installed (both PCI) will leave me with a PCI-Express x1 as a future-proof upgrade path for add-on cards. I did my homework, didn't I? ;)

While the stock heatsink of my 8800GT isn't longer than the card itself, there's the 6-pin PCI-Express power connector at the edge of the card and this adds to the length a bit. With the SOLO there's still plenty of room to work with length wise, although I believe the 8800GT to block quite some airflow from going up to the CPU area... worst of all is that the PSU is place at the top of the case and will be getting the least of the air circulating inside my case. I have no front fans installed, the only fan in the case right now is the Scythe Slipstream on my Ninja. Temps are nice though :)

My question is still not answered though; how will a 140mm work on the Accelero? Could it potentially cause problems like physically not fitting or something in that sense? bonestonne in your case that looks like a 80mm fan on the Accelero, right? Comparing visually to the 120mm on the Ninja, how likely is a 140mm fan to fit on the Accelero?

Thank you much much much!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:18 pm

Looks can be deceiving, I've actually got a 92mm fan tied onto the fins of the Accelero, i used wire ties, the silly "useless" ties that come with packages of garbage bags. I "threaded" them through the holes on the fins of the Accelero, and then just went through the holes on the fan for mounting. Naturally, this raises a big question about fans, and how for this to work, the fans need open phalanges. By open flanges, I mean that the corners of the fan need to have open space, like in this picture:
http://www.supernotebook.com/atx%20acce ... 50x350.gif

If the fan has closed flanges, it will look like this:
http://www.lps2u.com/shop/images/AMDCPU ... atsink.jpg

and be much harder to mount (all you need is a longer wire tie, or whatever material you feel like mounting it with, to make it all the way around.

Before i get too far into it though, I'd suggest looking into something called the Scythe Kama Bay. This is a 3x 5.25" mesh grill that fits in the ODD area of a case, and has a 120mm fan mounted in it. My suggestion would be use that without the fan (just take the fan out of the unit). this will give you an intake area level with the CPU heatsink, so you no longer need to worry about heat issues by the 8800.

The 140mm fan wont have any issues fitting on the accelero, your case should have all the room you need for it, but you should be careful about how you power the fan. I use a 4 pin adapter to 3 pin for my fan, modded to provide 7v to the fan for silent operation. Your situation will probably be similar, i doubt you'll feed that fan 12v, there's no need.

All things considered, our setups are similar, i wouldn't worry much about the PSU, since you don't run your ninja fanless, the PSU isn't getting a whole lot of extra warm air to deal with. And I as well don't have any front fans mounted, the entire front of my case is a mesh, filtered opening, I kept it as unrestricted as possible. It sucks a massive amount of air through with only one exhaust fan, and the PSU running at very light loads 50% of the time. The solo isn't bad on air intake at the bottom, but i feel like the upper area of the case isn't as ventilated as it could be the way it's designed (with those vents/slots running all up the side of the front bezel).

As for the layout of my board, the 9600GT is in the uppermost slot, with the heatsink/fan blocking both of my PCIe-x1 slots. For me, this isn't a huge problem, as I use two of my 3 PCI slots, one for a firewire card, and the other for my sound card. Also, once I upgrade sound cards, I'll be moving towards a studio based setup, with an 8 channel multitrack card. alls fun and games until the card costs me $600.

Once you get everything together, you'll see better how it will all fit much easier than you think. if your temps are good now, they aren't going to get worse with the accelero, guaranteed.
Last edited by bonestonne on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:36 pm

bonestonne wrote:Looks can be deceiving, I've actually got a 92mm fan tied onto the fins of the Accelero, i used wire ties, the silly "useless" ties that come with packages of garbage bags. I "threaded" them through the holes on the fins of the Accelero, and then just went through the holes on the fan for mounting. Naturally, this raises a big question about fans, and how for this to work, the fans need open phalanges. By open phalanges, I mean that the corners of the fan need to have open space, like in this picture:
http://www.supernotebook.com/atx%20acce ... 50x350.gif
I did my homework in this point as well. Like I said it is the Scythe Kaze Maru I have http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/0 ... 2_rib.html :P
bonestonne wrote:Before i get too far into it though, I'd suggest looking into something called the Scythe Kama Bay. This is a 3x 5.25" mesh grill that fits in the ODD area of a case, and has a 120mm fan mounted in it. My suggestion would be use that without the fan (just take the fan out of the unit). this will give you an intake area level with the CPU heatsink, so you no longer need to worry about heat issues by the 8800.
Definitely a no. The front of my case will be kept lean and clean, I have had my share of problems with front bays enough that I honestly do not even want to think about them. If there truly is a heat problem I rather use my Solo with the front door open than fiddle around with the front bays. Hope you understand ;)
bonestonne wrote:The 140mm fan wont have any issues fitting on the accelero, your case should have all the room you need for it, but you should be careful about how you power the fan. I use a 4 pin adapter to 3 pin for my fan, modded to provide 7v to the fan for silent operation. Your situation will probably be similar, i doubt you'll feed that fan 12v, there's no need.
Actually I did my homework here as well. You see my motherboard has lots of 3-pin fan connectors so I will connect the Kaze Mary directly to the motherboard. Since I do not want to rely on the lousy BIOS fan controller or use resistors to undervolt the fan, I bought specifically the 500rpm version of Kaze Maru so at 12V it'll be running around 500rpm, which is literally silent, but pushes an enormous load of air.
bonestonne wrote:All things considered, our setups are similar, i wouldn't worry much about the PSU, since you don't run your ninja fanless, the PSU isn't getting a whole lot of extra warm air to deal with. And I as well don't have any front fans mounted, the entire front of my case is a mesh, filtered opening, I kept it as unrestricted as possible. It sucks a massive amount of air through with only one exhaust fan, and the PSU running at very light loads 50% of the time. The solo isn't bad on air intake at the bottom, but i feel like the upper area of the case isn't as ventilated as it could be the way it's designed (with those vents/slots running all up the side of the front bezel).
One reason why I went with the Solo is that there's no mesh on the front. I hate mesh with a passion :o Cooler Master does make some OK cases nowadays, but nothing really beats the Cavalier series. I had the silver version and it was simply the best considering functionality and aesthetics. Maybe not the best providing air, this is where my Solo excels in comparison to the Cavalier. You are right though most of the air is getting in from the bottom, this is in direct relation with the fact that only the bottom part of the front dust filter is filled with dust :)
bonestonne wrote:As for the layout of my board, the 9600GT is in the uppermost slot, with the heatsink/fan blocking both of my PCIe-x1 slots. For me, this isn't a huge problem, as I use two of my 3 PCI slots, one for a firewire card, and the other for my sound card. Also, once I upgrade sound cards, I'll be moving towards a studio based setup, with an 8 channel multitrack card. alls fun and games until the card costs me $600.
Nice! It is quite funny that most people still use PCI for addon peripherals and it seems as if motherboard manufacturers put PCIe x1 slots on purpose below PCIe x16 slots! Two PCI are sufficient for me now, though talking of a studio based setup I might pay the premium and get a PCIe based DSP card.
bonestonne wrote:Once you get everything together, you'll see better how it will all fit much easier than you think. if your temps are good now, they aren't going to get worse with the accelero, guaranteed.
Let's hope so! :) The temps are fine now, idle is just a bit shy of 48C and maximum load temperature I've ever seen yet was between 65C and 70C.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:57 am

if you want to let a bit more airflow in (and you may have already done this, it's a small thing i did with my case too, is take out the plates from the case.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/rpsgc/IMG_8560.jpg

For the ODD, the top plate is already taken out, but the three plates below it are still there. Since the slotted edges of the front bezel go all the way to the top of the case, it would be a benefit to remove those plates so more airflow can make it to the ninja.

I originally bought the Cooler Master case for my first workstation, which was an EATX behemoth at the time, with Dual Pentium 3 Xeons @ 733mhz. Surprisingly, it really did fit easily in the case, but the power supply was a bit limited because of how big the SECC Pentium 3 Xeons are. Then I played musical computers and I had got a socket 423 P4 which went in, and that served me until my Pentium D came along, and then that was replaced by what I have now. and in all those computers, I've never had a problem with the elite, and it's almost as quiet as I want it to be, I have have yet to get a pair of 800rpm slipstreams to toss in.

But for intake alone, if i had a smoke pencil to use, it would show most of the air actually entering the top of my case, flowing over the RAM, through the ninja, and out the PSU and exhaust. at the bottom, it would show the air going to the 9600GT, and then exiting the vented PCI slot I put in level with the accelero, but I have been thinking about taking that out, as it has been an entry point for dust, as well as a small spider which made it's home in my case a couple weeks ago. it's since been ousted, but i'm still amazed it survived with that 92mm fan right above it.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:08 am

bonestonne wrote:if you want to let a bit more airflow in (and you may have already done this, it's a small thing i did with my case too, is take out the plates from the case.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/rpsgc/IMG_8560.jpg

For the ODD, the top plate is already taken out, but the three plates below it are still there. Since the slotted edges of the front bezel go all the way to the top of the case, it would be a benefit to remove those plates so more airflow can make it to the ninja.
No, I don't remove those just in case I want to get rid of the Solo at some point in the future, it kind of keeps its value if it is kept the way it was while still boxed. Yes, I sell and buy quite often so expect this Solo to be gone next year maybe? 8)

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:52 am

ha, those plates were among the first things I took off for intake. I've had this Elite 330 for 4 years now, and since it serves me so well, all the temptation for a P182 are just hopes and dreams for a budget i don't have.

too bad it's only OEM cases that have those removable plates that you can just slide back in at any time.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:19 am

bonestonne wrote:ha, those plates were among the first things I took off for intake. I've had this Elite 330 for 4 years now, and since it serves me so well, all the temptation for a P182 are just hopes and dreams for a budget i don't have.

too bad it's only OEM cases that have those removable plates that you can just slide back in at any time.
4 years? Was the Elite 330 even available 4 years ago? Somehow I recall having seen it first sometime last year or so...

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:31 pm

I don't think i still have the receipt for it, but i bought this case late 2005, maybe at the latest the beginning of 2006 (march or earlier). The case itself doesn't show age at all, but it does have plenty of mods. At first I just cut out the rear fan grill, but i left in the posts for installing a 92 or 80mm fan, but after thinking about how i have enough 120mm fans for all my systems that are kept running, i just cut those posts off. the side panel has two vented areas, one above the PCI slots, one above the CPU socket, and I put a good amount of clear packing tape over those vents to prevent air from entering (also from messing up my airflow pattern. I didn't cut anything extra or change any major aspects of the case because I love the tool-less design. The PCI area has never given me issues, and the HDD mounts have never given me issues.

I have thought about cutting the front fan grill out, but considering there's no fan there, there's no point. Also the front panel, while being very open to let air in, does have lots of 'ribbing' i guess you'd call it, which I feel is mostly unnecessary.

I can't say it was ever a really popular case, i picked mine up at CompUSA for ~$40, but it does it's job... for a while i thought of putting in lighted fans (red to be specific) but I'm happy enough without the flair.