What about Sapphire HD4890 1GB (New Edition)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

muguiman

What about Sapphire HD4890 1GB (New Edition)

Post by muguiman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi!
I´m looking for a new video card, my favourite is the Sapphire HD4890 1GB (New Edition), cause seems to have a better cooling, but i can´t find any information about it´s noise.
Can somebody help me??
Thanks a lot...

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:32 pm

link to the card?

mczak

Post by mczak » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:41 am

Do you mean the Sapphire Vapor-X 4890? Sapphire has lots of cards, they also have a Toxic 4890 with improved cooling, though this one is geared for overclocking and may not be as quiet.
I've seen some quick noise results for the Vapor-X here, http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hard ... _messungen - overall they liked it.
That said, at this time I wouldn't really recommend a 4890, not if you're interested in silent stuff... A good cooler may improve the noise, but fact is this card uses a lot of power, which makes it difficult to cool silently. You could get a 5850, which is way faster (though of course more expensive too) and uses only 1/3 the power when idle (at least with only one monitor) and even only about 3/4 at full load. Though for now I think all cooling solutions use reference design (which may or may not be quieter than that Vapor-X - if you compare it to reference HD 4890 it is quieter for sure).
If you need something cheaper the 5770 would only use half the power of the 4890 at full load, though it will be somewhat slower, and the reference cooling doesn't seem to be ideal. Should be dead easy to cool silently though with aftermarket cooler.

Edit: Oh I see Sapphire has a card which is literally named "New Edition". From the looks of it, it probably won't do wonders in the noise department, but I guess there is some hope it's slightly improved over reference. In any case, since that's the replacement for the old reference design, it's meant to be cheap hence probably won't have as good noise/thermal characteristics as the Vapor-X, but who knows...

muguiman

Post by muguiman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:36 pm

This is the card
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentatio ... 01&pid=277
i couldn´t put a link before because i have less than 3 posts, sorry