HD 5750 cards

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sunfox

Post by Sunfox » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm just getting the parts to build a new system for my father... I know how to keep the CPU, case and HD quiet, the sticking point is always the video card (especially since I do prefer to keep those stock unless necessary). In my own not-very-new system I use an HIS 4870 IceQ3 card, and I really quite like it - silent at idle and barely makes any noise playing a game, returning to silent the moment I exit.

For the new system I opted for the Sapphire Vapor-X 5750. System won't be used for gaming at all, so hopefully it's fairly quiet.

steppinwolf

Post by steppinwolf » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:29 am

vincentfox wrote:You can fit a high-quality passive cooler to a good card later. Or you can live with the OEM passive cooler fitted to a sub-standard card. Your choice. I'd go with Sapphire, in fact I did. It's a better card.
Could you elaborate? I mean other than the Sapphire Vapor-X will obviously run cooler under load. Not challenging, your statement. Just trying to get more information. Being so new, it's difficult to find much about the PowerColor 5750 1GBD5-S3DH other than specs and marketing fluff.

Chadsster

Post by Chadsster » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:35 pm

trueg wrote: I originally planned to get the Powercolor SCS3 HD 5750 once it was available in my area (which it is now), but after checking the size, I was able to determine that it will not fit in my fairly large HTPC case (Thermaltake Mozart).
How did you find the dimensions of the Powercolor SCS3 HD 5750 ? I've been googling for hours without luck.. Can someone advise what the dimensions are?? Also does anyone know what the power requirements are?

Entropy

Post by Entropy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:35 pm

[quote="Chadsster"][quote="trueg"]
I originally planned to get the Powercolor SCS3 HD 5750 once it was available in my area (which it is now), but after checking the size, I was able to determine that it will not fit in my fairly large HTPC case (Thermaltake Mozart).
[/quote]

How did you find the dimensions of the Powercolor SCS3 HD 5750 ? I've been googling for hours without luck.. Can someone advise what the dimensions are?? Also does anyone know what the power requirements are?[/quote]
I have it and can measure it for you tomorrow.
Power requirements are comparatively low.
www.techpowerup.com has excellent power draw data for different scenarios. It draws less than the 4770 and performs better. I'm very pleased so far.

Ramses
Friend of SPCR

Post by Ramses » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:33 pm

trueg wrote:Powercolor also lists the Play! HD5770 which also uses an OEM Accelero L2 Pro, but no one seems to sell it. =(
http://www.powercolor.com/Global/produc ... uctID=6686
Newegg has it now! :) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6814131326

SilentMig

Post by SilentMig » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:06 am

Chadsster I just got the PowerColor SCS 5750 fanless/passive heatsink card and since Entropy hasn't posted anything yet I measured it and will post my measurements:

Height of the Back Plate: 12.3 cm (I guess any card would be this height but just measured it anyway)

Height of the PCB: 10.5 cm (not including PCIe connector)

Height of the PCB + heatsink at the highest point: 13 cm (not including the PCIe connector)
Height of the PCB + heatsink at the highest point: 14 cm (including the PCIe connector)

Length of the PCB: 18.5 cm

Length of the PCB + heatsink: 20.5 cm
*Edit: I guess I should mention, the 20.5 cm length here with the PCB + heatsink, on the bottom part of the PCB, there's probably about 2-3 cm of it only being 18.5 cm before you start to run into the heatsink, as the heatsink is sloped upwards on an angle as I'll mention below, so it'll only be around 18.5 cm for this part of the card, though maybe a little more as one of the copper pipes starts to hang over a smidge about 1 cm up)

Width of the card including small heatsinks on the "bare" side: 4 cm (well it's a 2 slot card though the card itself on the large heatsink side anyway doesn't go over as far as the backplate does, over to the right)

The card actually seems pretty slim, despite the way it looks in pictures, pretty sure it's much slimmer than my passive ASUS 9600 GT which I'm replacing with this. The heatsink on the side of the card is a bit odd unlike the 9600 GT, as I said I'm pretty sure it's slimmer but it's not flat/parallel with the PCB like the 9600 GT, it's sort of angled and slopes upwards as you go away from the backplate. I'm certain it's not as long as my 9600 GT, I won't be sure by how much though until I put it in later today and compare them, I really don't see how anyone couldn't fit it into any case with too much trouble, including HTPC, unless it was some super constricted miniATX case or some weird variant. Using a P182 myself if that helps, if my 9600 GT fits in there fine (and it does) this surely will.

I'll post some pictures of it, and side by side with the 9600 GT sometime later in an edit here and maybe clean this post up a bit, as well as add some temperature comparisons and FPS comparisons I got versus my 9600 GT (and I've already got down all the stats for my 9600 GT).

*Note: Oh, also I should mention, the connectors on the back, if anyone needs to know, I thought from what I had read online, that it had a DisplayPort, HDMI port, DVI port and a VGA port, but it turns out that it has

1 DisplayPort
1 HDMI port
2 DVI ports (with I believe at least one of them supporting HDCP)

I'll edit and clarify later which type of DVI it is (DVI-D/DVI-I) as I forget offhand from looking at it, though if it's really important for someone just post I guess and I can try to check it ASAP.
Last edited by SilentMig on Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danimal

Post by danimal » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:22 am

thanks for those measurements silentmig!

probably the critical measurement for an htpc case is the distance from where the screw for the cards goes in, to the top of the heat sink... the highest point, in other words.

RustyBlade

Post by RustyBlade » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:45 pm

I also thank you for the dimensions.

But now I would appreciate some use feedback on the PowerColor fanless model. So far the four feedbacks on NewEgg is all I can find. Friday I am going to buy something.

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:47 pm

vincentfox wrote:I'd go with Sapphire, in fact I did.

It's a better card.

The way I see it I can fit some MASSIVE cooler array designed for a 58xx series card later, [...]
That will not work without a modification to the cooler array (as you see elsewhere in the thread). As others have pointed out, the 57XX cards have the chip much closer to the back of the card then the 58XX. Arctic Cooling has said that the S1R1 only works with the HD 5870 (not the 5850 or any of the 57XX's).

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Zalman Fan-less?

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:12 pm

SilentMig wrote:[...]PowerColor SCS 5750 fanless/passive heatsink card and since Entropy hasn't posted anything yet I measured it and will post my measurements:

Height of the Back Plate: 12.3 cm (I guess any card would be this height but just measured it anyway)

Height of the PCB: 10.5 cm (not including PCIe connector)

Height of the PCB + heatsink at the highest point: 13 cm (not including the PCIe connector)
Height of the PCB + heatsink at the highest point: 14 cm (including the PCIe connector)

Length of the PCB: 18.5 cm

Length of the PCB + heatsink: 20.5 cm

Any chance you could figgure out if the Zalman VNF100 would fit this (or any reference HD5750-shaped) card? Zalman lists the VNF100 twice on their site -- and I have no idea why as they appear the same (Retail/OEM).

The nice thing about the VNF100 (I have one on my ATI HD4670) is that the cooler is passive, but the fins are on the top/CPU side of the card. This is better because the CPU fan can move air across the fins, and hot air rises away from the card.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/Eng/product/Pro ... sp?idx=306
http://www.zalman.co.kr/Eng/product/Pro ... sp?idx=147

Where they SilentPCReview people said that they would review it 'later'.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article769-page1.html

The only 'review' I can find on the site:
viewtopic.php?t=53076