Twin Turbo Pro Installed on my 5870 :-)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

flinx

Post by flinx » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:26 pm

Finally got my Twin Turbo Pro installed. It's not silent, but it's a lot better than the stock cooler. I took some pictures of the installation, but will post them later. VRM temperatures under normal game load (Mass Effect 2) are hotter than with the reference cooler, but nowhere close to critical, so you don't need a VRM-3 or VRM-4. You could get one for peace of mind I suppose, but it's more important to have good case flow.

netjack

Post by netjack » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:55 pm

so what's a near silent solution for the 5850?

kater

Post by kater » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:45 pm

I'd try AC S1 or Auras Fridge with the best 120mm fan you cen get, running @ 4-5V in idle and cranked up for gaming/load. And of course VRM heatsinks.

mindz

Post by mindz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:52 am

Is this badboy Crossfire compatible? So will it fit 2x 5870 both with twin turbo?

flinx

Post by flinx » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:54 am

mindz wrote:Is this badboy Crossfire compatible? So will it fit 2x 5870 both with twin turbo?
It should be, barely. You have to use the Crossfire connector closest to the back of the case. In addition the card and cooler take up 3 card slots, so there's not a lot of clearance for airflow.

I've posted some pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/frode.aleks ... directlink

My problem now is actually that the power demands for the 5870 has pushed up the load on my Corsair VX550 PSU enough that the fan noise from it is overpowering everything else. Idle is still fine though.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is that the fan speed sensor doesn't work with the TTP - it just goes completely nuts. Thankfully it doesn't affect the voltage of the fan speed controller.

netjack

Post by netjack » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:01 am

"The cooler fits by bending some 9-10 fins in the corner near the DVI cover, but even then it's a close call."

Where on the picture you posted are the fins you're referring to? I need any help I can get to install this this week.

Thx

ps I found this but translating it to english still leaves me confused:

"If we now want to mount the cooler on a single HD 5850, you will notice that the DVI ports are in your way. It must, however, only a few slats broken parts, so that the cooler fits. This work we have done to us and realized that this is done in a few easy steps. You do not even need this tool. Simply the fan part, which is hooked onto the slats lift, and bend the individual plates and place again, bend over, up until they break. That makes it around 11-12 pieces, then fit the cooler. The fan on it part clip and finished."

flinx

Post by flinx » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:46 am

He was referring to bending fins on the S1 for a 5850 card. You can't use the TTP on the 5850 at all.

stock-guy

Post by stock-guy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:58 pm

thanks for the great & useful information

flinx

Post by flinx » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:35 am

I forgot to mention - there's no point in setting the fan speed to a fixed 40% like falcon26 did. If you just leave it on auto, it'll very slowly ramp from 20% (idle) to 40% max.

In my Antec P182 case with stock fans set to low the max GPU temperature after one hour of OCCT was 87C, and VRM temperatures hit 134C. That may seem high, but no throttling of the GPU clock speed occurred. During normal gaming they hit around 80-90C, with the GPU quite a bit less at around 62C or so. This is just more confirmation that you don't need a VRM-3 or VRM-4. That said, I don't recommend running occt 24/7 - just because it's stable, doesn't mean that it's meant to be run this way, nor that it's not an abnormally high wear on the VRMs.

Case temperature hit a toasty 46C, which is mostly because I'm running with a stock fan setup.

-
Overclocking to 890/1290 using ATI's Auto-Tune increases the gpu temperature to 89C, VRM at 136, fan goes up to 47%, but no problems or throttling occurs.

JackyPerformance.com

Post by JackyPerformance.com » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:07 pm

nice job,
thanks for sharing :)

netjack

temps/fan control?

Post by netjack » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:47 am

CCC doesn't seem to adjust the cooler's fan speed even when it's set at auto when I'm benchmarking using 3dmarkvantage..Anyone else have that issue? Only way I'm able to bump up the fan rpm is using the manual fan control..

flinx

Post by flinx » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:11 pm

The fan is temperature controlled, so if the speed is not going up, it's because it's not necessary. Try something that loads the GPU more, and for a longer time period, like OCCT.

netjack

Post by netjack » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:31 pm

i'm using 3dmark vantage that is pushing the temps way up on the card soooo

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:09 pm

netjack wrote:i'm using 3dmark vantage that is pushing the temps way up on the card soooo
Try Furmark - I understand that's the best way to stress test a graphics card. If the card doesn't ramp up, then something may not be right in the card's BIOS or with the fan connection.

netjack

Post by netjack » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 pm

JamieG wrote:
netjack wrote:i'm using 3dmark vantage that is pushing the temps way up on the card soooo
Try Furmark - I understand that's the best way to stress test a graphics card. If the card doesn't ramp up, then something may not be right in the card's BIOS or with the fan connection.
Screen shot of all my settings and results using furmark
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/ ... nt=vid.png

As you can see the card hit between 80-95c and the fan still didn't turn up. If I click on manual control and move the slider up then the fan turns on. So I know it's connected properly but the auto adjustment feature isn't automatically adjusting it. I mean the temps are hot enough under furmark stress to warrant increase in speeds right? It's an xfx brand if that makes any difference.

Thoughts?

flinx

Post by flinx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:28 pm

In that screenshot the GPU temperature is 47C, and the fan's running at 22% - 20% is the default for idle, so it looks like it's working to me.

What you can try is to use RBE and check if the fan ramps are set correctly:

http://www.techpowerup.com/rbe/

Also make sure that the TTP fans are connected to the video card properly and actually running.

netjack

Post by netjack » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:36 pm

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/ ... t=vid2.png

should i lower the tmax to 95? i'm assuming since its set so high, the fan isn't kicking in..

also, once i make the changes, how do i implement them? i get to acquire/flash bios, find winflash on hard drive, hit analyze, then hit flash bios and i get error msg - "Checksum mismatch! Did you select the proper adapter for this bios? can't figure out how to update new bios settings...

flinx

Post by flinx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 pm

Actually that looks normal. Once the GPU hits 55C, the fan should slowly start ramping up. Do another furmark test and check GPU-Z to make sure it does. If it doesn't, something is wrong. You'll want to manually set the fan speed in the driver to something appropriately safe, permanently - say 35% or 40%.

Also double-check and make sure you haven't checked the fan control box in CCC.

netjack

Post by netjack » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:09 pm

just want to double check that only one of the pwm connectors from the coolers connect to the video board and the other connector just hangs lose not connected to anything, right?

setting it permanently isn't an option because I want to run it deadly silent most of the time (when I'm not playing games) so I have to get this to work...

what about flashing to use the bottom table of steady ramping up?

man i give up, nothing i do causes it to automatically turn on the fans..
I'm using CCC 1211.1547.28237. Is there some other ati-approved program that will kick these fans into high gear when the temps go up? I might have to give AC a call tomorrow..

flinx

Post by flinx » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:22 am

netjack wrote:just want to double check that only one of the pwm connectors from the coolers connect to the video board and the other connector just hangs lose not connected to anything, right?
Right. I have the four-pin one connected - three pin hangs loose.

Reason I suggested setting the speed permanently, is because the fans really are quite quiet at those speeds.

You can modify the bios like you suggest, but I'd hesitate to recommend it in case something goes wrong.

Your CCC looks old - try Catalyst 10.2, which is the latest. Ati Tray Tools also has a limited fan control option.

netjack

Post by netjack » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:38 am

flinx wrote:
netjack wrote:just want to double check that only one of the pwm connectors from the coolers connect to the video board and the other connector just hangs lose not connected to anything, right?
Right. I have the four-pin one connected - three pin hangs loose.

Reason I suggested setting the speed permanently, is because the fans really are quite quiet at those speeds.

You can modify the bios like you suggest, but I'd hesitate to recommend it in case something goes wrong.

Your CCC looks old - try Catalyst 10.2, which is the latest. Ati Tray Tools also has a limited fan control option.
Which program has better fan control?

flinx

Post by flinx » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:50 am

Ati Tray Tools let you set up profiles, so you can have different ones for different situations. CCC is the same as usual - hopefully the newer version makes the fan ramp up properly like it's supposed to. Since manual fan control does work, it's most likely either a driver glitch, or a bios one. You could also try hooking up the reference cooler to the fan header temporarily (make sure you have a table fan or something to help cool the card while testing) to see if that ramps up.

netjack

Post by netjack » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:53 am

updated to 10.2. No auto fan kicking in. I will try to connect stock cooler and report back.

netjack

Post by netjack » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:44 am

Ok it's definitely the fan not functioning because I put the stock back on and
the auto-ramp up feature works just fine..

Arctic Cooling's CS is horrible :/

flinx

Post by flinx » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Sorry to hear that. At least we did manage to trace the error.

I must say I'm still surprised that manual fan speed control works, but the auto one doesn't though.

netjack

Post by netjack » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:20 pm

ok got a new cooler and stuck it on and voila it does auto adjust..only prob is CCC never pushes higher than 40 and with furmark, my card is still hitting 90 when all is said and done..how can i get the fan to get up to 90/100%?

bradyapba

Post by bradyapba » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:27 pm

afterburner fan profile.

flinx

Post by flinx » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:03 pm

netjack wrote:ok got a new cooler and stuck it on and voila it does auto adjust..only prob is CCC never pushes higher than 40 and with furmark, my card is still hitting 90 when all is said and done..how can i get the fan to get up to 90/100%?
Don't. That temperature is fine, and so is the fan speed. The ramping profile in the bios is set so that you only hit 100% fan speed at 105C gpu core temperature, so you still have quite a bit of headroom. You'll also get a lot lower temperatures during normal gaming. Furmark/OCCT is really only to see how bad something can get in a worst case scenario and make sure there's nothing that becomes unstable under load.

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:54 am

So what is the best option for the RAM and VRMs? Use the original base plate or the heatsinks supplied with the TTP?

I have always disliked the after-market RAM/VRM heatsinks. The screwed-in baseplate seems like a much more robust option.

flinx

Post by flinx » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:34 pm

On the 5870, you'll have to use 3rd party VRM/RAM sinks - if you look at my pictures you'll notice the stock cooler is part of the base plate and can't be separated from it, unlike the 5850. If the base plate is separable, it's a much better cooler for VRMs and RAM since you get a much larger surface area. The back plate will also help cool since the screws will help distribute heat to it, even though there's no RAM on the back of the card.