Best Ati 5770 Air cooler?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Which is more sexy? Accelero L2, Thermalright V2 or Therm. HR-03 A?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Accelero L2
8%
Themalright V2 - Copper pimps, remember that.
4%
Thermalright HR-03 Revision A
16%
Accelero S1 version 2 - only if it requires CUTTING but not pipe bending.
12%
I don't own any of these, I don't own a 5770, I would like to lie and say I do to be in the poll.
60%

Total votes: 25

Mats

Post by Mats » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:11 am

BlackWhizz wrote:I wonder how those coolers will mount if you're in a CrossFire situation.
One pointing up, and one down, but that requires a large case.

vonbosch

Post by vonbosch » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:10 am

According to Thermalright page the Spitfire isn't compatible with the 5770. Does anyone know if this can be worked around? I think I could position is directly under the 200mm side fan on my P193 which I imagine would give some excellent cooling.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:26 pm

I just installed my new HR-03 Rev.A on my 5770 last night. Looks like the thread poll is closed so I can't vote.

I went with the "Type 1" install, where the heatpipes wrap around the card and the cooler is closer to my CPU.

I haven't stressed the card at all yet. Do the memory chips need the ramsinks on them? I was able to get most of them covered, but one of them is directly below the heatpipes and there is no room for even a low-profile ramsink.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:12 pm

wow cant install the ram heatsinks? Hm. Air blowing might be fine enough considering the back of the card comes stock with no heatsinks on the ram

what about the Mosfets? that area needs heatsinks. if no heatsink, it can waste more electricity into heat and they get hot as it is.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:45 am

I've got nothing on the mosfets.

The ramsinks have an extremely weak adhesive. I cleaned the memory chips very well and they stick, but I know they'll easily fall off if touched.

I'm thinking about what to do.

I could stick these lousy little heatsinks all over the place with their weak adhesive. At least the card could be restored back to the stock cooler later.

I'm also considering loading up the memory chips and mosfets with 30mm tall copper heatsinks, cut by myself to special shapes for the most coverage. Then I'd permanently mount them with thermal epoxy.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:56 am

I recently put a Scythe Setsugen on my Asus CuCore 5770. It idles at 33C and stabilizes at 61C in Furmark.

I did a hybrid mounting scheme because the backplate and screw/nut system from Scythe took up too much room and physically interfered with my Mugen2. I used AS 5 for the TIM rather than the included stuff.

I cut off and then shorted the wires for the rear fan controller and rewired the Setsugen fan leads into the Asus fan header (it's one of those micro headers).

I left the RAM bare (the stock card also had bare RAM) but added the included RAM sinks to the VRM's. The adhesive on the RAM sinks was particularly strong...

All said and done I have a fan profile set up in Afterburner that runs the fan at 20% in idle and ramps to 100% at 70C.

clive r
Friend of SPCR

Post by clive r » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 am

I'm looking to upgrade to a 5750/5770 and it seems from discussion so far that the best solution is the HR-03 rev A. But I can't find any in stock here in the UK or indeed anywhere in Europe.

The MSI 8600GT I'm using has the cooler wrapped round the top of the card in the same way and it works well with in conjunction with the fan on my Ninja.

I'm resigned to getting the Vapor-X card and seeing how it goes, but a bit anxious as I've not had a fan on a graphics card for years, and I'm also aware of the less than ideal layout on the card.

Has anyone seen the HR-03 anywhere? Or would one of the other coolers significantly improve on the Vapor-X if I can't live with it? Want to weigh up the options before I get stuck with something unworkable.

I'm only an occasional gamer, but I have a nice IPS 1900x1200 display, and want to get the best of it, so assume the 5770 is the way to go.

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:57 am

Hey everyone,

I recently bought an Accelero L2 Pro brand new for 15$ CAD (cheap!) and finally came around to mounting it on my XFX 5770 (original shroud cooler) which was way too noisy. I kept the plate that covers the front RAM and used ramsinks on the back & VRM. I had to change the default bracket height from "B" to "A" because the distance between the core and the PCIe connector.

I think I made a mistake somewhere in my mouting scheme as idle temps are 58­°C and as soon as I started Furmark it jumped instantly to 105°C at which point I quickly stopped it! Before I was hitting temps around 40°C idle and 82°C load.

While doing the cooler setup, I put my finger on the preapplied thermal paste by mistake while installing the 4 plastic spacers (bad idea to have it pre-applied & no peel protection on it!)... I tought I would leave it like that anyway. Could it really make such a HUGE difference in heat transfer?

I also think that MAYBE the plastic spacers might be a little too tall, so the heatsink doesn't touch the core as firmly as it could...

I guess I'll remove the cooler and see if first of all the thermal paste was evenly distributed on the core, that would help me determine if the pressure is good enough.

For anyone who is wondering, the fan is quiet & works very well with speed control of ATI Catalyst, I simply plugged the 4-pin header an all is good!

Anyone had the L2 Pro on a 5770 that could share his experience & any tweak he had to make? Thanks in advance!

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Here's an update on my situation... The first time I stopped screwing as soon as I felt some resistance... but this time I turned until very tight. Still no change in temps...

So I removed the cooler altogether, and surprise there is about 1/3 of the core that never got any thermal paste on it... so the contact is not tight enough. So my guess is the white plastic spacers are a bit too high for this type of card... Also I was relieved to notice that the are where I put my finger on is not even in contact with the core!

To the others that tried L2 Pro & 5770, did you had to use a different spacer? Would it be dangerous not to use any?
Last edited by chienpourri on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Your experience with the L2 Pro is the same as others with the S1 Rev2. Your assumtion is may be correct - the spacers were too tall. You might try cutting or lapping them to reduce the height.

When I mounted my Scythe cooler I wound up with no spacers between the cooler and board. I just tightened it until it felt snug without moving around and not bending the board and I got rather good results (33/58).

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:19 am

I'm so unlucky... I had some self-adhesive silicon washers laying around so I removed the white plastic spacers and used them instead. After doing a quick test it showed that contact was indeed perfect with these!

However, as I was turning the last screw I felt it snap! The screw completely broke... I think I'm going to be able to remove it because it broke close to the head and a good portion is sticking out of the heatsink.

Off-topic: reminds me of my last CPU cooler purchase (Thermalright Venomous-X) where I had a screw with it's thread completely off - I couldn't finish the install and had to wait almost 2 week for Thermalright to send me the part! But in fact they sent the whole accessory kit so I had a spare of everything.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sat May 01, 2010 5:56 pm

I decided to go with my mosfet heatsink idea on my 5770.

I got a single Enzotech MST-73 forged copper heatsink from Newegg for $10.49. It measures 79.5(L) x 14(W) x 29.6(H) mm.

Here is the item link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835708017

I then mounted in in a vise and cut 9 pieces out of this block using a jeweler saw with 2/0 blades. Each piece contains four 30mm long copper "pins". I then sanded the bottom of each piece with 400 grit sandpaper, cleaned it up, and mounted each to all of the video card's mosfets with Arctic Silver Alumina epoxy.

Enzotech has shorter 10-piece mosfet sets available for about the same price, but I thought I'd go with a crazy 30mm height since my video card uses two slots anyway. Plus I have enough left over for 9 more mosfets for another project. Or maybe I can cut some larger pieces for use on some of the memory chips...

Now, my mosfets seem pretty cool. As I scan my noncontact thermometer across the board, the memory could probably use some better cooling than the small fin aluminum ramsinks are providing...

Kaleid

Post by Kaleid » Sun May 09, 2010 12:15 am

I cannot recommend the S1 rev B to 5770. As the core will not have contact with the heatsink surface area, at least not without modding.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sun May 09, 2010 1:13 am

Concluding? A card which has the back panel connectors not stacked* with a setsugen works the best?

This is what i mean by non-stacked connectors

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sun May 09, 2010 1:14 am

psyopper wrote:I recently put a Scythe Setsugen on my Asus CuCore 5770. It idles at 33C and stabilizes at 61C in Furmark.

I did a hybrid mounting scheme because the backplate and screw/nut system from Scythe took up too much room and physically interfered with my Mugen2. I used AS 5 for the TIM rather than the included stuff.

I cut off and then shorted the wires for the rear fan controller and rewired the Setsugen fan leads into the Asus fan header (it's one of those micro headers).

I left the RAM bare (the stock card also had bare RAM) but added the included RAM sinks to the VRM's. The adhesive on the RAM sinks was particularly strong...

All said and done I have a fan profile set up in Afterburner that runs the fan at 20% in idle and ramps to 100% at 70C.
Did you flip the fan?

psyopper
Friend of SPCR

Post by psyopper » Sun May 09, 2010 8:25 am

It should work, but I highly recommend measuring the distance from the center of the core to the I/O Panel on the card to ensure that it will fit correctly. The distance between the back edge (closest to the I/O panel) and the center of the heat plate on the cooler is roughly 2.5". It appears as though 2.5" is roughly 8 pins to the rear of the "break" on a PCI-E card.

If the center of your GPU is to the rear of the 8th pin after the break on the card and you are using non-stacked connectors, it should fit. Also be prepared to splice in a different fan header if you want to use the header on the card.

Yes, I flipped the fan. It worked great for about a week until the blades started "sagging" and were making contact with the cooler. I shimmed the fan up about 2mm and the problem went away.

Edit: By the way - the photo you showed is the Asus CuCore, the same card I mounted my Setsugen on. It fits with several inches to spare.

vonbosch

Post by vonbosch » Mon May 10, 2010 3:01 am

I got word from a British etailer that the HR-03 Rev. A has been discontinued, I just emailed Thermalright for confirmation.

Where does that leave us? None of the other options seem perfect, especially not for stacked, reference cards like mine...

vonbosch

Post by vonbosch » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:25 pm

I found out that you can still get HR-03 Rev. A direct from Thermalright, shipped from Taiwan for a reasonable price ($30 US).

My one arrived pretty promptly and I am pleased with it.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:54 pm

I have still not cooled my 5770 properly.

pissing me off.

vonbosch

Post by vonbosch » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:22 am

If you can get a hold of HR-03 Rev. A I can recommend it, my card is well cooled with that heatsink and a 120mm slipstream at 5 volts. Check with thermalright if they have any more, I got a good deal buying mine directly. The reverse mounting thing is pretty handy too.

I manage to reduce temperatures by about 10 degrees by simply screwing it on tighter, an important lesson I think.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:08 am

I found out I possibly can. I am concerned about how many slots it takes up and if I could put a fan on it.

I'm concerned that a standard depth fan will put it smooshed up against my audio card with no space.

what's your experience?

vonbosch

Post by vonbosch » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:41 am

Yeah, with a standard fan tied on it takes up 3 slots. I had exactly the same problem, one free slot between the graphics card and my sound card, so it wouldn't fit with a fan. Instead I reverse mounted it. The fan blows air up straight through my Xigmatek HDT-964 (with a 92mm fan) and then out through a 140mm yate loon in the top exhaust of my P193. It is pretty neat solution, cooling the GPU and CPU with one straight air flow. But it might not be practical depending on your case and CPU heatsink.

As for fitting a fan, it comes with 92mm fittings. I didn't have too much trouble tying on a 120mm but the fins have a stylised jaggy edge. You need to use a few layers of tape at the corners of the fan (or some other cunning) to make a couple mm of clearance between the heatsink and the fan to stop the fan blades hitting the little points on the HS fins and making a really annoying noise.

Incidentally, using the side fan on my case actually increases temperatures, presumably it disrupts the nice direct airflow. For my current build I would have been much better off with a P183...

EDIT: If all that writing isn't clear, I can post pics the next time I open my case.