Displayport, HDMI & audio

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vinhmac

Displayport, HDMI & audio

Post by vinhmac » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:42 am

Hi, im sorry if this the wrong place to post this but i'd like to ask:

Im planning to use my brothers Sapphire HD5570 for a HTPC Id like to set up, however its got a Displayport instead of HDMI so does anyone know

a. whether the 5570 can output sound (DTS too?) via displayport
b. if so, is there a converter that will carry video and audio across to a HDMI output that I can plug in my TV
c. failing all this any ideas to output sound (other then buying a new sound card)

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:11 am

I would suggest double checking the output ports on the card. For these lower end cards there are usually two variations on the ports: DVI/HDMI/VGA or DVI/HDMI/Display port.

vinhmac

Post by vinhmac » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:56 am

its definately a DVI - VGA - DisplayPort configuration, no doubt about that.

Im just unsure how to get the video and audio parts into my tv effectively

washu

Post by washu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:30 am

Check if you can do DVI->HDMI with sound. If the card gives you an HDMI audio device you probably can. DVI is the same signaling as HDMI so it can carry sound too, it just doesn't usually.

vinhmac

Post by vinhmac » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:45 am

Thanks, I will install the card and see if it picks up the HDMI audio during the driver setup, i have seen this in other HDMI cards I had.

Do all converters (Display>HDMI, DVI>HDMI) carry video AND audio? Im getting conflicting answers whether its OS or the converter that doesnt carry over the sound.

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:29 am

Not all DVI > HDMI converters are created equal; you have to make sure that the one you get also carries the audio signals. There are also Displayport > HDMI converters that carry the audio.

vinhmac

Post by vinhmac » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Can anyone recommend a displayport>HDMI they have used that carries audio?

I was going to get this:

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/pr ... 3724507155

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:51 am

b_rubenstein wrote:Not all DVI > HDMI converters are created equal; you have to make sure that the one you get also carries the audio signals.
As I understand it, the cabling and adapters don't matter. Audio is muxed within the TMDS data channels. So as long as the video card sends audio to the DVI jack, the cable will carry it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Vi ... VI_to_HDMI

Instead of looking at adapters, you could try a DVI to HDMI cable - no adapters to fumble around with. I prefer the mechanical security of the DVI connector - it can't accidentally come unplugged behind your AV gear.

This one is £2.49:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-HDMI-Ca ... B000GDI6FC

IloveInet

Displayport HDMI audio

Post by IloveInet » Tue May 11, 2010 6:42 am

Do you prefer audio stuff for yoga like relaxing music or instructions, or a video? Personally, I prefer a video because you can interact with it more and get the pose right... or try to

vinhmac

Post by vinhmac » Wed May 26, 2010 3:32 am

Just an update

I bought the ATI dongle (model 6140063500G) and it worked first time with my 5570 through DVI to my HDMI TV so im well pleased.

thanks for all the help guys

Redzo

Re: Displayport HDMI audio

Post by Redzo » Wed May 26, 2010 4:50 am

IloveInet wrote:Do you prefer audio stuff for yoga like relaxing music or instructions, or a video? Personally, I prefer a video because you can interact with it more and get the pose right... or try to
Stop smoking crack. It's obviously not good for you since you are seeing and reading stuff that is just not there.