7v: good, 5v: not at all

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Flanker

7v: good, 5v: not at all

Post by Flanker » Fri May 28, 2010 1:29 am

due to the stupid galaxy PCB design, I can't plug in my accelero twin turbo fan into my 9600GT (both 3 pin, but the galaxy card uses a mobo header)
anyways, at first 12v was totally unacceptable, so I modded the adapter to 7v, much better but still a too much noise for my liking. The temps at 7v is ~40c idle, ~55c in OCCT GPU
I just tried to mod it to 5v and see if I can actually make it near silent, well, plugged the thing in and the mobo gave me a "no gpu" beep code, tried again, got that beep again. the fans were clearly spinniing, I put my fingers near the fans and there was clearly a breeze, more air than antec tricool at low speed. Thought i killed my card :shock:
Just mod the adapter back to 7v, everything is fine again :!: :?:
this doesn't seem normal... or is it?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Fri May 28, 2010 1:33 am

Strange indeed !!
What Mobo header are you using ?

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Fri May 28, 2010 1:49 am

this: http://cdnsupport.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB ... 60R_20.jpg
is the header present on my motherboard and my graphics card, but the twin turbo actually wants this: http://www.xsfans.com/images/medium/0671_MED.jpg (bottom left)
at the moment the twin turbo is running off the power supply through a 3-pin => molex adapter at 7v
Last edited by Flanker on Sat May 29, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Fri May 28, 2010 5:37 am

That isnt hard. Get a old broken fan and rip off the connector. Then solder up the connector onto the twinturbo (reds to reds yellow to yellow [if you have a yellow] and black to black).

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Sat May 29, 2010 9:05 pm

BlackWhizz wrote:That isnt hard. Get a old broken fan and rip off the connector. Then solder up the connector onto the twinturbo (reds to reds yellow to yellow [if you have a yellow] and black to black).
thats true, but I'm hoping I can leave it as it is for another card in the future tho...

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sun May 30, 2010 3:29 am

Flanker wrote:
BlackWhizz wrote:That isnt hard. Get a old broken fan and rip off the connector. Then solder up the connector onto the twinturbo (reds to reds yellow to yellow [if you have a yellow] and black to black).
thats true, but I'm hoping I can leave it as it is for another card in the future tho...
Strip off the stock connector, and solder both connectors (stock + 3pin) on the twinturbo fans.

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:55 am

I had the same problem when I built my system. The "solution" was to get a fan that could reliably start up at 5v and still work. I turned off all of the monitoring and the system's fans run at fixed voltages straight from the PS.

That said, the biggest improvement was a passive video card cooler. It's huge but it works great.