Requesting 120Hz monitor noise reports!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Penfold

Requesting 120Hz monitor noise reports!

Post by Penfold » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:11 am

Good day all!

We have a useful sticky in this forum subsection about monitor noise levels, but sadly there is little information about 120Hz models so far. So, I am hoping there might be an untapped source of firsthand experience of these monitors here at SPCR!

Prad.de has done excellent reviews of both the Viewsonic 2268wm and the Samsung 2233rz, with observations of monitor noise:

2233rz:
"With regard to the noise production, the SyncMaster 2233RZ does not function completely silently. If you listen at the back, a slight humming can be heard when the brightness is at its highest. If you dim the backlight by just one step, the humming lessens to a soft buzz. From a normal working position, however, nothing can be heard."

2268wm:
"If the backlight, which can be regulated in individual steps, is dimmed to Level 82, a medium frequency humming sound arises. This can be heard clearly, both from the back and front of the monitor. When you place your ear on the monitor, the humming can already be heard from Level 88; if you dim the backlight further, the sound gets louder between 60 and 40. The sound has a similar, quieter level between level 39 and zero as well as between 61 and 82. Unfortunately, it is very irritating. Anyone who has invested in silent PC components will definitely be irritated by the humming of the backlight, since it exceeds the sound produced by all other components. "

Some reports of Acer GD245HQ buzzing:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showth ... p=16670007

Druneau

Post by Druneau » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:29 am

I have the Alienware AW2310 at home. What kind of observations are you looking for specifically?

Is there any known way to make LCD's emit more sound? (like certain display patterns?)

I guess I could give you a report of max/min brightness, DVI and also HDMI.

Penfold

Post by Penfold » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:25 pm

Hello Druneau,

As far as I know only variations in brightness affect panel monitor noise - I could well be wrong though. Some observations of your AW2310 at different brightness settings would be much appreciated indeed!

Druneau

Post by Druneau » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:19 pm

Alright,

AW2310 - Running since mid January 2010

1920x1080 120hz

No buzz/humm @ 100-80 Brightness then with ear within 3-4" of screen (front or back) you can here some medium-low frequency hummmmm.

Sounds constant all the way down to 0 brightness.

Contrast had no effect on sound.

Refresh rate dit not seem to affect the sound at all.

My opinion: I've owned two screens where I could hear buzzing from normal sitting distance and it was annoying. This screen I've owned since January and to be honest I had not even checked for buzzing until now. So I had not noticed any buzzing at all. But if you do seal your ear to the screen then there is some minimal buzzing.