passive 5770 (Gigabyte)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
Flanker
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: New Zealand

passive 5770 (Gigabyte)

Post by Flanker » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:03 am

http://www.techpowerup.com/129488/Gigab ... _Card.html

Gigabyte is gonna make 5770 silent cell. :shock: :D :twisted:

Image

this will be gold, if they are widely available
Last edited by Flanker on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flanker
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: passive 5770 (Gigabyte)

Post by Flanker » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:05 am

oops, clicked wrong button (errm how do I delete post? ) :oops:

sub
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Belgium

Post by sub » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:51 am

Yess now you can cook a T-bone on your computer :o

Redzo
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:51 am
Location: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Redzo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:25 am

sub wrote:Yess now you can cook a T-bone on your computer :o
I love these cards, what I usually do is strap a 92mm Nexus @5V right on the heatsink and you get wonderful temps with almost no noise at all.
These are great way for non technical ppl that are normally afraid of disassembling their cards to get great temps and silence together with performance.

And btw if you have some other way of getting this sort of performance into a GPU without heat and noise please share or better yet start a company and be a millionaire in no time.
Only drawback is that heatsink is so damn big, so some smaller cases will have no place for it.

mkk
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:51 pm
Location: Gefle, Sweden
Contact:

Post by mkk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:49 am

An elephantastic cooler if compared to their earlier passive 4850 card. I guess they learned something. So did I. ;)

sub
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Belgium

Post by sub » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:48 am

Redzo wrote:I love these cards, what I usually do is strap a 92mm Nexus @5V right on the heatsink and you get wonderful temps with almost no noise at all.
These are great way for non technical ppl that are normally afraid of disassembling their cards to get great temps and silence together with performance.

And btw if you have some other way of getting this sort of performance into a GPU without heat and noise please share or better yet start a company and be a millionaire in no time.
Only drawback is that heatsink is so damn big, so some smaller cases will have no place for it.
Hi, same here I just bought an accelero on flebay for my next built, I just want say with a TD of 108W without a fan in a quiet computer the cooler ll'be very hot!

Modo
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:32 am
Location: Poland

Post by Modo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:12 am

mkk wrote:An elephantastic cooler if compared to their earlier passive 4850 card. I guess they learned something. So did I. ;)
Too bad they "learned" that. I was waiting for Gigabyte to re-release the heatsink they had for 4850, since it fits perfectly into an Antec Fusion case with a huge performance reserve (dedicated air intake for the graphics card). Now it looks like there won't be high-end fanless out-of-the-box solutions.
Can you keep it down? I'm having trouble hearing the artillery.

Current rig
Old PC

Anatorax
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Germany

Post by Anatorax » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Perfect! And radiator fins are along the card; hope my FT02 will be able to provide enough airflow to keep this baby cool.

farns
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: New Zealand

Post by farns » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:18 pm

I had the 9600GT version of the Gigabyte passive card in my Solo, didnt get much over 70C.
Seeing as a 5770 has very similar load power to a 9600GT it should be ok, probably on the limit for what those gigabyte coolers can handle though
Antec P150 + 800rpm slipstream l i3 2100 l Sapphire 5850 l WD Blue 7200rpm + 2 x 5400rpms l Enermax Pro82+ 525w l 27" 1440P screen

CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7430
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: Monterey Bay, CA

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:08 am

Nice review at HT4U.
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, Asrock Z97 Anniversary, MSI GTX 1660 Gaming X, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic SSR-550FX. 35W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

Luke M
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:09 pm
Location: here

Post by Luke M » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Will this fit in an Antec Solo?

Flanker
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: New Zealand

Post by Flanker » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:11 pm

from the picture, the bit sticking out, opposite to the PCI-E connectors are about half as wide as the expansion slot cover.
on the antec solo the space beside the pci slots, opposite to where the motherboard, looks to be about half as wide as the PCI-E slot covers

judging from this it should be able to fit with a few cm's to spare, a little difficult to get more accurate estimates without card dimensions :s

kater
Posts: 891
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: Poland

Post by kater » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:21 pm

Length is 26,3 with cooler - clicky

Will fit with room to spare. And will benefit from the front bottom fan(s), especially if HDDs can be aligned to make a sorta tunnel.

Redzo
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:51 am
Location: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Redzo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:12 am

sub wrote:
Redzo wrote:I love these cards, what I usually do is strap a 92mm Nexus @5V right on the heatsink and you get wonderful temps with almost no noise at all.
These are great way for non technical ppl that are normally afraid of disassembling their cards to get great temps and silence together with performance.

And btw if you have some other way of getting this sort of performance into a GPU without heat and noise please share or better yet start a company and be a millionaire in no time.
Only drawback is that heatsink is so damn big, so some smaller cases will have no place for it.
Hi, same here I just bought an accelero on flebay for my next built, I just want say with a TD of 108W without a fan in a quiet computer the cooler ll'be very hot!
Agree, but then again I know that with a good fan used likehere you get the best of both worlds, cool and pritty da*n, near silent card if you run the fan @5V or 7V.
And no modding skills necessary, just put the fan there and use 1 or 2 straps :lol:

DoTheEvolution
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:06 am
Location: Righ here

Post by DoTheEvolution » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:39 am

Redzo wrote: Agree, but then again I know that with a good fan used like here you get the best of both worlds, cool and pritty da*n, near silent card if you run the fan @5V or 7V.
And no modding skills necessary, just put the fan there and use 1 or 2 straps :lol:
How is it attached?

Modo
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:32 am
Location: Poland

Post by Modo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:49 am

Using the Force, no doubt. ;)

If you need a fan on that huge heatsink, I suggest you go fix your case layout, because some hot air is not moved away fast enough.

Also, these Gigabyte fanless cards can take extreme temperatures without problems. (I tested my HD 4850 up to 105 C—no artifacts, no weird behaviour at all.) There's no point in getting the card down to room temperature when it can take so much heat by design.
Can you keep it down? I'm having trouble hearing the artillery.

Current rig
Old PC

Redzo
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:51 am
Location: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Redzo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:05 pm

DoTheEvolution wrote:
Redzo wrote: Agree, but then again I know that with a good fan used like here you get the best of both worlds, cool and pritty da*n, near silent card if you run the fan @5V or 7V.
And no modding skills necessary, just put the fan there and use 1 or 2 straps :lol:
How is it attached?
read again, slower this time. I took the liberty of putting in BOLD for you.

swoody
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Chicago, USA

Re: passive 5770 (Gigabyte)

Post by swoody » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:45 am

This is brilliant! I just pulled the trigger on a very quiet gaming system and was on the look out for a silent video card to stick in it. I am considering this card, their 5750 version, or a passive BFG 9800GT.

I am hoping that this will fit for sure in an Antec Solo. I would *really* like to know before I spluge for the card. Gigabyte also has a 5750 with (what appears to be) a slightly smaller heatsink attached. If the 5770 won't fit, the 5750 would be a better bet while not losing much in performance.

Has anyone here fit this card in a Solo in real life, not just by online specs or guesstimations?

Thanks!

- Woody

Post Reply