Recommendation for dual DVI for business use (no gaming)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Crispix

Recommendation for dual DVI for business use (no gaming)

Post by Crispix » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:42 pm

(Great web site!) I was ready to throw my noisy computer out the window, but after seeing this web site opened it up and identified the noisiest components.

By far the biggest culprit is the video card, and it needs to be replaced. I use my computer for programming and business use, no gaming at all. The video card I have is a GeoForce 6600GT, and it's too loud.

I have two DVI monitors, my computer is a Dell E520 (Pentium D!), Windows 7 64-bit. I need a recommendation for a replacement graphics card that does dual-DVI. Obviously, without gaming, speed is not much of a concern, but I don't mind spending extra for quality.

Thanks so much!

--

Edit: I think I'm going to get this guy:
http://www3.pny.com/8400-GS-DMS-512MB-P ... 5C269.aspx
DMS59 seems to be the way to go for dual dvi.

CA_Steve

Re: Recommendation for dual DVI for business use (no gaming)

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Welcome to SPCR!

Does your 6600GT have an AGP or PCI-e interface? It came out during the transition years and there were cards made both ways...

ooo, found the Dell page for the e520. Looks like it's PCI-e.

Yep, the PNY card will work. Really, any passive, low end card will meet your needs. It's a couple of generations old, but 2D is 2D.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:55 pm

If your 6600 GT has dual DVI why not replace the stock cooler with the Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 plus Turbo Module it would be cheaper then replacing the card and slient.

Cryoburner

Post by Cryoburner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 pm

One option that might improve your selection of cards would be to get one with HDMI and DVI rather than two DVI connections. You can find an HDMI to DVI-D single link adapter online for a few dollars, and since those cards are more common, it should be easier to shop around for a decent card at a low price. At least among fanless cards, having two DVI connections tends to be somewhat rare, while those with DVI and HDMI are a lot more common.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:08 am

I'd go for something like this 5450 and grab a HDMI to DVI cable from monoprice.com to use in place of the monitors DVI to DVI cable.

Oh and

Welcome to SPCR!

Crispix

Post by Crispix » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Just wanted to follow up, I got that PNY card today and installed it. What a difference in noise level! I don't notice any video performance difference, it's fine.

I can't believe how loud that old video card was. Amazing that I never noticed it on a carpeted floor, but putting it on wood flooring turned it into a jet engine drilling into my skull.

I'll look into options for the CPU/case fan next, but it's so much better already and I might just leave it alone.

Thanks for the help!