Quietest setting for fans on AC Twin Turbo Pro?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Morten74

Quietest setting for fans on AC Twin Turbo Pro?

Post by Morten74 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:41 am

Hi guys

How do make this cooler produce the least noise? Currently I have connected the fans to the card (XFX HD5850) and fans are at 21% (lowest possible), and while it is very quiet, it is stille the 'loudest' component in my system. Would it be better to use molex-to-7v adaptor? I know that I would loose the PWM feature, but the cooler is so efficient anyway, that I would assume it would still be adequate...

:wink: Morten

wouterr5

Re: Quietest setting for fans on AC Twin Turbo Pro?

Post by wouterr5 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:02 am

You should use a PWM --> voltage converter, so that it has the full 12 volt blast when needed but can be passive in idle :D
But, other than this solution, there are plenty of ways to do this.
You could put a resistor in series with the 12 volt coming from the graphics card. However, this will mostly make a difference in speeds at 100% PWM and not at 20% PWM.
Using a zener diode of, say, 5 volts in series with the 12 volt from the 5850 will probably make the fan stop at lower PWM values. However, you might have trouble locating a zener diode that can handle the wattage needed.
Then there's always the option of putting it on a fan controller, a 7v supply, or the motherboard, maybe making it auto-controllable with speedfan. However, a constant 7 volt might make the fan spin faster than 21% PWM. You should try yourself to see what's quieter :)

12andy

Re: Quietest setting for fans on AC Twin Turbo Pro?

Post by 12andy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:34 am

Use MSI Afterburner to drop the fan down to 9% or so. Create a custom, less aggresive fan curve.

The fans spooling up between 9% and 20% will then drive you crazy. :wink: