Twin Frozr II Eyefinity Setup Without Using DisplayPort

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TokyoBrit

Twin Frozr II Eyefinity Setup Without Using DisplayPort

Post by TokyoBrit » Mon May 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Anyone here on SPCR got 3 monitors running off a R6870 using the HDMI and DVI connectors only?

Reason being is that the only affordable 24" monitor out there with DisplayPort, the BenQ BL2400PT, has a GtG time that is a little slower than I would like, so I'd prefer to go with a BenQ G2420HD instead.

I ran into the same issue with my current 5770. It has HDMI, DVI and DP, but for Eyefinity to work properly you need 3 identical monitors. Getting one with all 3 types of digital input is an expensive proposition.

Of course, a single 6870 may have trouble with 3 monitors at the same time but AFAIA, the R6870 Twin Frozr II is the only card with the omph to come close, and that doesn't sound like a Cessna on takeoff.
Last edited by TokyoBrit on Tue May 24, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flemeister

Re: Twin Frozr II Eyefinity Setup Without Using DisplayPort

Post by flemeister » Tue May 10, 2011 12:37 am

You'll need a Displayport to VGA adapter.

Or if you want to keep the connection digital, an active Displayport to DVI adaptor. This option is more expensive though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVIMs3upVp8

matchu

Post by matchu » Tue May 10, 2011 6:41 am

Hey

FYI, eyefinity on a single card requires at least one display port monitor OR a monitor connected via activedisplayport.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... et-up.aspx

activeDP is expensive, just so you know, but it's required

TokyoBrit

Post by TokyoBrit » Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks for the comments, and the link to the AMD site that confirms you need either a display with DisplayPort or an Active adapter to have 3 or more monitors from the same R6870.

It always struck me as strange why AMD/ATI went the DisplayPort route, considering the much smaller market of compatible displays. I can only assume it's a technology limitation due to display driver circuitry requirements.

As it is, I ordered 2 of the Accell Mini-DisplayPort to SingleLink DVI-D active adapters (B087B-006B) from Amazon, and will use a package forwarding service to get them to Japan.

Zargon

Post by Zargon » Wed May 25, 2011 10:18 am

matchu wrote:Hey

FYI, eyefinity on a single card requires at least one display port monitor OR a monitor connected via activedisplayport.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... et-up.aspx

activeDP is expensive, just so you know, but it's required

sapphire now has a few eyefinity cards tagged FLEX that will do it with tri-dvi