Nvidia Card to fit Coolermaster 534 Centurion

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fergy666

Nvidia Card to fit Coolermaster 534 Centurion

Post by Fergy666 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi everyone,

im looking for a Nvidia graphics card that is quiet to fit my Coolermaster Centurion 534 case. Currently i have a 512MB ASUS 9600GT card with the glacier fan and the fan has already gone on it once and had to be repaired by ASUS.

Can anyone recommend a silent/quiet card that is better than this card for less than around $130 AUD?

Or is there a replacement GPU cooler that would fit this card that is cheap. I've never replaced a GPU cooler so I dont know how hard it is, so it might be easier to just buy a new card.

Thanks

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Re: Nvidia Card to fit Coolermaster 534 Centurion

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Fergy666 wrote:fit my Coolermaster Centurion 534 case
People say that your case can hold a video card that is about 9.75 inches long -- as long as an ATX board is wide. I do not know anything about the lengths of Nvidia cards. Unless you use CUDA-accelerated applications, there is no reason to buy an Nvidia-based card.
Fergy666 wrote:Or is there a replacement GPU cooler that would fit this card that is cheap. I've never replaced a GPU cooler so I dont know how hard it is, so it might be easier to just buy a new card.
Replacing a GPU cooler is easy if you take your time, clean everything well, and are careful. The fan-less Accelero S1 Rev. 2 claims to fit your 9600GT. It is selling for 35 USD, you can add voltage regulation heatsinks for another 9 USD.

boost

Post by boost » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:04 am

I have no idea about prices in AUD.
Ranking chips by speed:
6850<460<5850=560<6870<560TI
This is a generalization, overclocked cards with a usually slower chip can be faster than non-overclocked with a faster chip.
Some games heavily favor chips of one manufacturer changing the order completely.
If you come up with a list of cards available to you within your price range it's much easier to recommend something quiet.
Generally MSI Cyclone or Twin Frozr models are the quietest air cooled cards. Newer Gigabyte coolers, the ones with two or three fans, are sometimes very good, but there are few reviews.
[edit]Here's a review from Xbitlabs, Gigabyte Windforce is even quieter and just as effective as Twin Frozr[/edit]

Fergy666

Post by Fergy666 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:48 am

hey thanks for the help.

im only sticking with Nvidia because i cant be bothered having to change all the drivers over.

i was looking at the Gigabyte GTX550ti

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3799#ov

hopefully someone can shed some light if this is quiet and will fit my case?

Thanks

boost

Post by boost » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:47 am

While we are not entirely convinced that the GeForce GTX 550 Ti is a worthy contender at $149 US, Gigabyte certainly has done a lot to improve its value. When compared to the Radeon HD 6850 which was consistently much faster, the GeForce GTX 550 Ti costs just 15% less despite being around 30% slower most of the time. Source
Fergy666 wrote:im only sticking with Nvidia because i cant be bothered having to change all the drivers over.
It took me driver sweeper and two reboots to go from nVidia to ATI. Not really too much of an effort.

If it's not out of your price range, consider the MSI 6850 Cyclone.