PC Design Lab's Qmicra reviewed at SFFClub.com

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Steeeeve

PC Design Lab's Qmicra reviewed at SFFClub.com

Post by Steeeeve » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:50 pm

I understand that SPCR might be doing a review of this case as well.

This SFF Case is amazing. It is rather high priced but I hope you enjoy the review and maybe consider it when purchasing your next SFF :)

http://www.sffclub.com/index.php?option ... iew&id=146

dougz

Yet Another Review of Qmicra

Post by dougz » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:27 am

Conclusion

PC Design Lab has proven it can design a better SFF case with the Qmicra. I was very impressed with the innovative design and high quality of workmanship in this case after owning and building dozens of SFF systems. Cooling is effective with the Qmicra design and allowed the use of four silent 80mm Nexus fans. This allowed for nearly silent operation while idling and under load. CPU temperatures after hours of continuous gaming hovered around 50C with the Zalman 9500 CPU cooler installed - which is not even an option with other SFF cube cases available today. The steep introductory price may give buyers pause, but many enthusiasts have been waiting for this kind of high end performance and quality in an SFF case and will gladly pay the price. http://www.sfftech.com/index.php?/artic ... ra_review/

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:04 am

Well I don't know about gladly paying $380 for a bare case w/o a power supply. But it is a nice looking case.....certainly high quality. There are only a few SFF cases around that accept a non-propriatory MB. This adds another to that short list....at a high price though. :(

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:42 pm

It's not even that small, it accepts a full-size ATX PSU too which makes it way to big IMO.

Also, the mounting of hard drives seems odd. Hard drive cooling is critical in SFFs, I know that after owning a KlossPC with drive temps of 60-65C...

Steeeeve

Post by Steeeeve » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:41 am

lack of cooling is a non-issue in this case. With all four fans at 100% you have overkill with cooling.

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:27 am

"With all four fans at 100% you"

Who on this forum would ever run (4) 80mm fans at 100%?
It's a well thought out case, but for $350?! ouch.

I'm old fashioned and like to keep my case pricing $100-150.

Steeeeve

Post by Steeeeve » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:52 pm

yeah the price is a bit high....around 340 now I think? American made products are high priced and thus the price you see. A well designed case though.

Yeah, no one runs them at 100% and the case is actually recommended to be at 75% back fans only during idle or light use.

Perhaps this case can go down to 225 or so.