HP e-Vectra - first desktop with external PSU?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hifriday
Patron of SPCR

HP e-Vectra - first desktop with external PSU?

Post by Hifriday » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:03 pm

I found one of these tiny machines in a local second hand PC store and was surprised to find a 6? year old desktop using an external PSU. Is this the first machine to be sold with an external PSU?
Don't be misled by the tiny 8" LCD, it measures only 3.5" x 9.4" x 10.7". My initial impressions of this one fan system blogged here

DaveSimmons

Post by DaveSimmons » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:59 pm

Many of the 8bit computers of the 70s-80s (TRS-80, Atari, Commodore Vic-20 & C-64, Sinclair ZX-80, and maybe the Apple IIc) used external wall-warts for power. Most were silent too, though it's easier when your CPU speed is 1 - 2 MHz :)

It might be the first IBM PC compatible though.

daremo

Re: HP e-Vectra - first desktop with external PSU?

Post by daremo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:28 pm

Hifriday wrote:I found one of these tiny machines in a local second hand PC store and was surprised to find a 6? year old desktop using an external PSU. Is this the first machine to be sold with an external PSU?
Don't be misled by the tiny 8" LCD, it measures only 3.5" x 9.4" x 10.7". My initial impressions of this one fan system blogged here
Wow I had almost forgot about these. I worked in HP's call center and several of my colleague's had to use these for their desktops. They seemed to work semi-OK considering all the apps we had to run, but they could bog down. For basic home use that could be an interesting project. let us know how it turns out!

BlueAvatar

Post by BlueAvatar » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:25 am

I have one of these. its running XP (just) and about all it can cope with after that is winamp, which is just fine cos thats all it has to do :)

its reasonably quiet, though i cut away the restrictive fan grills and that helped.